Why are there no TV sitcoms made into films nowadays?

Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In the past, there were several TV sitcoms which had films made of them, sometimes a show had more than one film but it is not something you hear much of today. Why is that?

I don't really see many TV sitcoms of today worth making films of but that's just my personal opinion. If people like a show so much why not make a film for their benefit?

With the old decent sitcoms, a film expansion is quite interesting and the atmosphere is totally different but still watchable. What does everyone else think?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    The Inbetweeners?
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Oh, Dear Lord...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    League of Gentlemen: Apocalypse.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Low quality film spam just used to be more common?
    Look at the filmography of elvis...
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arrested Development
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The truth is that most sitcoms don't really translate into good films. Their TV success is based upon relationships usually in a limited location or locations, hence the 'sitcom' name. The problem is that in films they have to 'go large' to try and make them interesting and to fill a couple hours of time, which loses the very essence that made them work in the first place. Of course there are exceptions where clever script writing has made some a success but most attempts in my view, end up as pretty poor movies.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sex and the City.

When this sort of thing was the norm, the domestic UK film industry was on its post MGM knees, they were very cheap and bar one or two (Up Pompeii/Porridge) pretty much unwatchable. No one would put up with that standard of presentation now while spending decent money on something designed for the small screen makes no sense really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    As a previous poster has mentioned, it was the poor state of the British film industry in the 1970's (a combination of the dire economic situation, the withdrawal of a lot of the American studios, and the growing impact of television) that led film production companies to turn to popular TV stars and already-successful shows to put bums on seats in the cinema.

With a couple of exceptions (mentioned by other posters), cinema has largely avoided TV sitcom adaptations since the end of the 1970's, but feature-length versions of sitcoms have remained popular, they're just made for TV now rather than the cinema, like 'To Hull and Back' (OFAH) and 'One Foot in the Algarve' which, had it been a decade or so earlier, would surely have been made for the big screen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There aren't that many sitcoms.
  • hisdogspothisdogspot Posts: 23,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I,m struggling to think of any sit-come that translated well to the big screen
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    hisdogspot wrote: »
    I,m struggling to think of any sit-come that translated well to the big screen

'Dad's Army', 'Porridge', the two 'Steptoe' movies, and 'The Likely Lads' were all fairly decent, but they were, in general, the best of a pretty bad bunch. The 'On The Buses' trilogy weren't up to much, despite their popularity (especially the first), and there's little going for any of the countless others that were churned out.
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,208
    Forum Member
    There were 3 great Last Of The Summer Wine TV
    films in the '80s
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe not traditional sitcoms but:

Sex and the City
    League Of Gentlemen
    The Inbetweeners

Also, on the way are Arrested Development and Kath and Kim.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Red Dwarf movie has been rumoured for years
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    How about Kevin & Perry Go Large?
    That was a sketch of a kind of sitcom situation :D
  • trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mr bean ????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt the Arrested Development film will come. Especially since they're going to make a fourth season exclusivly for Netflix now.
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    I think a sitcom that could genuinly work as a full on R comedy in todays market is

that 70s show

the cast is still young I know the last episode left it ending at the 70s but jesus season 8 was so bad IM sure 99% of the fans would not give a crap wish I could erase that season from my mind LOL just set it in a random summer from the late 70s and give a good script.

Never gonna happen though I know LOL