netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love my mum and son unconditionally.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there anyone you love that much or is it more neediness and obsession in your opinion when someone says that.

Example - If your child or loved one killed someone, would you protect them at any cost by covering it up? What and how would you do it?

Should justice be served or should family come first meaning they aren't legally punished?

(A BBC soap and Drama, Accused and Eastenders have done story plots on this recently).
    Not good examples
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    If a parent didn't cover it up it wouldn't mean they didn't love them.
    Exactly
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i only have unconditional love for my parents and sisters
    if i ever have children i will have unconditional love for them, until i'm put into that situation (hopefully never) i dont know what i would do.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    The danger of unconditional love is when it involves unconditional approval. (if the two can be separated).

I have known a number of people, including murderers, with no sense of social responsibility or empathy etc. They all seemed to be either people who had at least one parent who gave them unconditional approval or at the other extreme people who had never been loved by anyone.

Just my theory and based on limited and anecdotal study I admit.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there anyone you love that much or is it more neediness and obsession in your opinion when someone says that.

Example - If your child or loved one killed someone, would you protect them at any cost by covering it up? What and how would you do it?

Should justice be served or should family come first meaning they aren't legally punished?

(A BBC soap and Drama, Accused and Eastenders have done story plots on this recently).

Surely unconditional love would demand that your child be given the means to become the best human being they can be. That would include honesty and accepting responsibility for what they have done. To cover up a crime would give the wrong message.
  • Options
    AquajaneyAquajaney Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love my sons unconditionally.

If either did something I didn't like I would still love them but I would expect them to take responsibility for their actions.

Loving them would mean I would try to make them do what was right and would not cover for them but support them whatever.
  • Options
    DarociaDarocia Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    I don't think unconditional love exists except from maybe dogs.

I think everyone has a breaking point and something they just can't forgive.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    As a mother I love my kids . I wouldnt approve of wrong doing .But looking at photos and video clips of Anders Behring Brevik I somehow dont know how even his own mother is not revolted by him ,
  • Options
    AquajaneyAquajaney Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a mother I love my kids . I wouldnt approve of wrong doing .But looking at photos and video clips of Anders Behring Brevik I somehow dont know how even his own mother is not revolted by him ,

I suppose it depends on whether people can be born bad or whether it is partly down to nurture.

If you love your child you would do you best to raise them to be the best person they can.

If they turn out really evil despite your best efforts and love it must be heart breaking but I can't see how you can't still love them whilst hating what they have done.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just don't believe that love for someone lasts forever, animals were made for breeding, for humans this is no exception.

I just don't truly believe that you can genuinely love someone for all of your life.

That sounds very pessimistic I know but I'm just giving you my honest opinion. :o

I think you just have to work at it. Young people have their heads turned by unrealistic expectations of love. Rom coms etc teach them that and they end up dumping everyone after a year or two when the excitement is gone, mistaking it for love. My grandparents are in their 70's, have been together since their teens and are very much in love. You need a mutual respect, affection and a healthy dose of realism IMO.
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    I love certain people unconditionally, my children and grandchildren. I may not like them at times but I still love them.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    I love certain people unconditionally, my children and grandchildren. I may not like them at times but I still love them.

I do too , but I will admit they make it very easy for me to love them .They are lovely and kind and helpful .I have never been challenged in my love .
    I look at some people and at thugs and at Anders Behring Breviks smirk and I wonder if I had to face that evil man would I still love him ? I dont know the answer to it .
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Posssibly for some. probably not for me. I dont put any condition on love. there is no fine line in the sand. However if my love was abused then I would withdraw it. love, to me anyway is a reciprocatal emotion, it flourishes when shared.

I can feel a great deal of empathy with your words. It's a funny old thing - you can believe that you love someone no matter what they do but if they hurt you once too often, then I believe that common sense kicks in, even the deepest love must be damaged after that. Trust plays a big part in it too. If you can't trust somebody, then love alone will not save you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    The danger of unconditional love is when it involves unconditional approval. (if the two can be separated).

They should be separated.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    They should be separated.

Ow I agree totally. Look at us I love you dearly but I cannot approve of all you say. :D;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Ow I agree totally. Look at us I love you dearly but I cannot approve of all you say. :D;)

No problem. Leave the approval to me;):p
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes there is unonditional love, generally found between parents and their children.

However showing unconditonal love does not mean you would have to cover up a crime, I mean you could despise your child for their actions but still love them as they are your child.