BBC to Simulcast Queen's Christmas Message in 3D

2»

Comments

• derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HenryVIII wrote: »
    Sky filmed the william/kate royal wedding in 3D, but I don't recollect it was shown live in 3D (though to be honest I wasn't looking for it...) But it subequently has been repeated a few times on their 3D channel.

It was shown live. But nothing from inside the Abbey as permission wasn't given.
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    2008. The last one the BBC made. It's back with them next year.

Oh good! So next year it will be shown at a different time and only the highlights whilst other channels show it at the right time and in full.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It appeared on Sky's about an hour ago. Until this afternoon, Sky 3D was just saying 3D preview. They had already made it and given it a slot, but couldn't put it on the EPG, until the Queen had watched it and given her approval!!

Oh yes it's now popped up on mine.

Embargoed until the announcement. Childish!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was shown live. But nothing from inside the Abbey as permission wasn't given.

God is not available in 3D - Who knew!
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So in short the BBC are making a 10 minute 3D Zombie film that will have more gore than the SAW collection as it will leave millions of people in the UK wanting to slit their wrists as it is so boring.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh good! So next year it will be shown at a different time and only the highlights whilst other channels show it at the right time and in full.

That I found very funny but possibly true:D

Next year they may come to an agreement with Sky so BBC shows half and Sky show the other. The BBC may just only show edited highlights in 2013 and in full in 2014.
  • Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    What year was the Queen's speech first filmed in HD? :confused:
    I rather think that The Queen's Speech was last shot on film in the late 1980s

it was produced by David Attenborough and transferred to the 'master' VTR by a colleague of mine in TK45, TvC.

Of course, in the good old days, it was transmitted direct from film

and backed-up from film

and the film was backed-up by a VTR copy

and a second VTR copy backed up that

and half the machines ran on 6a pulses and half on 6b (which were sync with 6a)

all feeds were available in NC1, NC2 and subCR

ITV companies took a feed of NC1

it was (and still is) a 'Grade One' transmission.
  • emmetmclemmetmcl Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So in short the BBC are making a 10 minute 3D Zombie film that will have more gore than the SAW collection as it will leave millions of people in the UK wanting to slit their wrists as it is so boring.

Yeah, she's a bitch isn't she.
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC have always spent money on programmes using new technologies, where very few have been able to watch.

BBC HD launched when about the only way you could watch it was via pay platforms Sky and Virgin.

Same with colour, nicam stereo and teletext. The BBC was there first but only a few could enjoy.
    But these were genuine improvements, 3D however is not, it is a gimmick.
    HenryVIII wrote: »
    Apparently, if you kneel down before the tele during the speech, the queen will appear to stick out a sword and knight you. :D
    Thank god we have a Queen not a King, or something else might have appeared to be coming out of the screen :cool: :D
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R410 wrote: »
    But these were genuine improvements, 3D however is not, it is a gimmick.

I suppose people who think that 3D is just objects flying out the screen, would think that.

Anybody who's watched the Attenborough documentaries would think differently.
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose people who think that 3D is just objects flying out the screen, would think that.

Anybody who's watched the Attenborough documentaries would think differently.

Why are you assuming I have not watched things in 3D?
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What year was the Queen's speech first filmed in HD? :confused:

1960 - on 35mm film!:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    I would go with Bandspread199 - I would allow any 35mm programme well transferred to HD to carry an HD badge.

On a general point - we don't need an actual "channel" to deliver 3D content. As 3D is an alternate version and virtually all 3DTVs are connected TVs, we already have an alternate way to deliver 3D!
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes it's now popped up on mine.

Embargoed until the announcement. Childish!

It was announced a couple of weeks ago in The Sun! I remember commenting about it on the thread about the Quuen's message which was running at that time.

Found it! http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=62856188&postcount=39
  • toastedlogistictoastedlogistic Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    1960 - on 35mm film!:rolleyes:
    But nobody could actually view it in HD back then though! :rolleyes:
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dynamics wrote: »
    Oh come on, it's utterly ridiculous. What is the Queen going to do? Poke a long stick at the camera saying "ooohhh look at the 3d!"

I'm not anti 3d per se, but I certainly find it fatiguing to use and adds very little to the vast majority of content.

A gimmicky fad.

Absolutely in agreement. A pointless gimmick.