Nexus 5 details leaked

Comments

• GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Its got this nifty rechargeable feature.
    paulbrock wrote: »
    LMAO :D

Yeah I also laughed at that response :D:p
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was that REALLY necessary? You know exactly what I meant! Why can't you just answer the question rather than showing everyone what a complete ×××× you are.

What did you expect? It's a phone with a battery that can't be (easily) replaced. If it runs dry you either charge it normally, buy an extra case with a battery in or go without....

For the record my N4 has never run dry - been close a couple of times though. I'm expecting the 5 to be better.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To answer the question seriously, I've never really needed a spare battery for any phone I've ever had so for me having it none changeable is a non issue. If you use the phone in a different way and need to have spares then this isn't going to be the phone for you.

The battery in a modern smartphone should be good for a least 2 years maybe more.

The nexus 4 charges really quickly, hopefully the 5 will too.

Also with it having a standard micro usb connector there are loads of solutions for external battery chargers, extenders car adaptors and so on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    To answer the question seriously, I've never really needed a spare battery for any phone I've ever had so for me having it none changeable is a non issue. If you use the phone in a different way and need to have spares then this isn't going to be the phone for you.

The battery in a modern smartphone should be good for a least 2 years maybe more.

The nexus 4 charges really quickly, hopefully the 5 will too.

Also with it having a standard micro usb connector there are loads of solutions for external battery chargers, extenders car adaptors and so on.

Yeah I have a 6000mAH battery from Anker, it's a great little device that can charge any of my portable devices.
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,951
    Forum Member
    I notice a few of you have had your 32gb handsets dispatched; anyone yet had a 16gb sent out and on the way to them? I ordered a black 16gb @18.53 but Play are telling me it's still 'pending' and 'leaves warehouse Nov 8th' .

A bit annoying having to wait (I nearly cancelled and was going to head to CPW store), but if it doesn't leave until 7th or 8th then the good news is it won't appear on this months bill.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    I notice a few of you have had your 32gb handsets dispatched; anyone yet had a 16gb sent out and on the way to them? I ordered a black 16gb @18.53 but Play are telling me it's still 'pending' and 'leaves warehouse Nov 8th' .

A bit annoying having to wait (I nearly cancelled and was going to head to CPW store), but if it doesn't leave until 7th or 8th then the good news is it won't appear on this months bill.

Yeah I have ordered a 16GB and it's on its way. It's sent via parcel force 24 (No wonder it costs so much!) so i'm expecting it on Monday which is the next available working day.
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd get one but need an SD slot of some kind as I use my phone as an MP3 player on my journeys. Currently my 32gb card is full of music. I know a streaming solution would be good, and I do that quite often, but it's not that robust when traveling at speed.

:) Mark
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scooby1970 wrote: »
    I'd get one but need an SD slot of some kind as I use my phone as an MP3 player on my journeys. Currently my 32gb card is full of music. I know a streaming solution would be good, and I do that quite often, but it's not that robust when traveling at speed.

:) Mark

You could plug in a USB pen drive. Or steam it from a MiFi.

Something like this maybe http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-OTG-TF-Micro-SD-CARD-READER-for-S4-i9500-Note2-N7100-i9300-N5100-i9100-/380750773589
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    Yeah I have ordered a 16GB and it's on its way. It's sent via parcel force 24 (No wonder it costs so much!) so i'm expecting it on Monday which is the next available working day.

Thanks for the reply and info. At least the 16's are in the system and on the move as well. I guess a few minutes difference when ordering can, and does, make a few days difference when it comes to delivery. Patience is a virtue.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you have a look over at xda-developers, you'll see that the way they are shipping them is very strange.

It doesn't seem like they are shipping them on a first come first served basis.

The black models seem to be in higher demand, especially the 32GB one.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    still no change on my 18:22 black 32GB
    Forum Member

On that subject: do we know if the N5 comes with OTG drivers, or is using extra memory going to be a little more complicated than just plug'n'play?

Daveoc64 wrote: »
    If you have a look over at xda-developers, you'll see that the way they are shipping them is very strange.

It doesn't seem like they are shipping them on a first come first served basis.

The black models seem to be in higher demand, especially the 32GB one.

Thanks. I thought the 16's had sold out as well. Everything Play/Google do seems a little strange to me. Last year, from what I remember, there was an almighty scramble for the N4 and it wasn't available anywhere else cheaper, if available at all. This year the cheaper and quicker way to get an N5 is to trot down the high street to the nearest CPW! Bizarre.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On that subject: do we know if the N5 comes with OTG drivers, or is using extra memory going to be a little more complicated than just plug'n'play?

Yeah apparently the N5 has OTG support (Unlike the N4).
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Yeah apparently the N5 has OTG support (Unlike the N4).

do we know if you need the nexus media importer? or is it out the box?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    do we know if you need the nexus media importer? or is it out the box?

Going from initial reports I think it needs Nexus Media Importer which is a shame.

If one of you guys who has a N5 could try it and let us know that would be great :D
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If one of you guys who has a N5 could try it and let us know that would be great :D

Doesn't seem to work just by plugging in. I installed OTG Disk Explorer Lite and was then able to access the files on my USB stick (no root required).
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Esot-eric, have you been able to use the "OK Google" hotword at all, or does that remain US only still?

Thank you.
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Esot-eric, have you been able to use the "OK Google" hotword at all, or does that remain US only still?

It's US English only. Apparently it also doesn't work while the screen is off, only from the home screen/launcher.
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frustrating. Hopefully that will change in the near future.

Thanks for confirming, E.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    If this had upgradable memory I'd be throwing money at Googe, but sadly I don't think 32GB will be enough for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member

Something like this maybe http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-OTG-TF-Micro-SD-CARD-READER-for-S4-i9500-Note2-N7100-i9300-N5100-i9100-/380750773589

So all you would have to do is plug in the pen dive and you'd instantly be able to access everything on it? If that's the case I might reconsider getting one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So all you would have to do is plug in the pen dive and you'd instantly be able to access everything on it? If that's the case I might reconsider getting one.

It depends on how OTG is implemented, if you need to use Nexus Media Importer you will have to use that to play the music or transfer albums to the phone first and use any software.

I guess we will hear more about this in the coming days. If I get my phone on Monday I will test it.
  • Virtual PaulVirtual Paul Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    still no change on my 18:22 black 32GB

Keep checking.

My black 32gb ordered at 10:51 on 'big Thursday' has been despatched. Got the email about 3 hours ago.

Despatched a lot sooner than next Friday as originally told. Maybe loads of people have been cancelling their Play orders and getting one down Carphone Warehouse yesterday/today if they can live with the 16gb version. :D

Just got to sort out a new sim only deal now. I change numbers with each phone to clear out all the chaff and no-longer friends I don't want to be contacted from. :cool:
  • centuryportercenturyporter Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Ordered my Nexus 5 (black 32GB) yesterday and just got an e-mail saying its been shipped...:eek:
  • noelfirlnoelfirl Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    32gb Black just shipped, that was 7:20 on Thursday. Appears to be ratcheting up properly now...