Do you keep your garden clean?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
Forum Member
or is your garden one of those with a rusty old car and broken paving slabs in?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like another room in the house, so yeah I keep it clean.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Immaculate. Rubbish is a home for vermin. Leave leaves for bugs otherwise very tidy.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's partly a nature sanctuary, so it's kept very clean and tidy.
  • floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got quite a big garden and really it's a bit much for me to handle. Thankfully I have a gardener who I get in once a month to keep it in order. It costs a bit of money but the result is so much better than when I do it myself.:)
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    My front garden requires nearly daily cleaning of all the leaves from the trees in the field on the other side of the road, but at least I've finally hit on a lasting solution to stop a local cat crapping in the flower bed.

Unfortunately the little bugger is now doing its business on my back lawn and I'm hoping against hope that one day I'll catch it in the act and if I do then its a goner. Three years and I've only seen it once and then made the mistake of not choosing a head shot. I spent well over 3 grand on the back garden and the bloody cat's ruining it.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ours is a work in progress. The previous owners had made a mess of it and we're slowly sorting it out but it's taking years. I'd like to just pay someone to sort it out but it would cost thousands :(
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a small-ish plot out the back. I had to get the council in to clear it last year as it started to resemble a small corner of the borneo, largely thanks to the previous tenants and also due to me not really being able to do it myself.

In a perfect world, i'd be able to just get some grass grown on both sides of the path and leave it at that, but at the moment it's just large open patches of dirt and a few weeds !
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hubby spends a lot of time & effort on our back garden
  • too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    or is your garden one of those with a rusty old car and broken paving slabs in?

Phew, I was a bit concerned initially at the thought of slabs and rusty things in one's lady garden..:o:o:blush::blush:
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could do with a make-over but as we rent I don't see us spending the money to do it. And currently our fence between ours and the neighbor's front garden is down (it blew over in a storm), the neighbor said he was going to get some brackets to fix it but that was a month ago. We're waiting for the fecking wind to bugger off I guess. Currently the fence is sitting off to the side in the front.

Our back garden isn't worth keeping up, it's small and ugly and never gets much sun. I do wish the neighbors would stop using it as an ashtray though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    I love my garden - but it does get wild !!!

There is a delicate balance between something that attracts the birds to the table and the bushes that draw them and seem horribly overgrown.

I do have a wonderful beast who comes to cut lawns and be bizarrely over-enthusiastic in cutting back borders. But - overall, I try to maintain the mix between wild-life friendly and not pissing off the neighbours.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's fairly tidy although the patio area usually has a hose draped over it.
  • psychedelicpsychedelic Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    It's fairly tidy although the patio area usually has a hose draped over it.

On first glance I read that as 'usually has a horse draped over it' which gives a completely different picture in my mind :D
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i`ve got a 3 or 4 feet wide strip under the windows at the back [living and bedrooms] and a 2 feet wide strip under the utility windows, which are on the footpath past, people chuck rubbish in the shrubs that side>:(>:(>:(>:(.

no room for anything rusting.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I don't know. Once I have shifted the rusty ford cortina, 3 seater sofa and rusty beer cans. I'll let you know.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Ours is clean, it's been getting a good wash nearly every day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Front garden is clean and fairly tidy, well as much as it can be with all this wind and rain.

The driveway gets a good sweep and a tidy up every week.

The back garden has been a bit neglected though, but late last summer I started to give it an overhaul. Ivy removed from side of garage, leylandi hedges cut down and completely removed as they were getting too big to trim properly. I have, however, unearthed an old dog kennel that was hidden by the hedges and I never knew was there :o

This spring/summer the plan is to repair a damaged part of the fence, rip out and get rid of that old dog kennel, thoroughly clean and tidy it all up and plant some shrubs to brighten it up. I also need to take a strimmer to the weed patch next to the dog kennel that was also hidden by the hedges. My garden is about three feet longer than I thought it was :)
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An aquaintance of mine once interviewed a few people for a job and made a shortlist of 2. Both were very good so he didn't know which to choose, he then had an idea, he went round to their house to inspect the frontage, if one had a rusty old car and a sofa and the other was neat and tidy, he would select the neat and tidy one. However they were both neat and tidy, so he gave them both a job.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ours is clean... although everything is too wet to do anything at the moment.
  • samtheqtsamtheqt Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Our front garden used to be a dump for car parts by my brother, but when my mum got fed up of it looking like a mini scrap yard, I turned it into a vegetable patch/garden.

Last year I grew tomatoes, red cabbage, runner beans, cucumbers, aubergines, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, carrots and parsnips (which we had for xmas dinner). Its only about 5m x 6/7m in size with a path down one side and a gravel bit under the window with a bench. Its south facing so gets the sun from 9-4, It's all open and before anyone asks, we haven't had anyone come and nick any of it yet, though we live at the end of a cul-de-sac.

The back garden was re-done last year, so now its paved and decked with half of it grass. Before then, it looked like a bombsite with mud everywhere as I had kept chickens (which didn't help with the mud). I'm now banned from having any more!