Options

6,520 admitted to hospital with malnutrition. Food Poverty Blamed.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-28883892
Vice president of the Faculty of Public Health, John Middleton, said food-related ill health was getting worse "through extreme poverty and the use of food banks".

"It's getting worse because people can't afford good quality food. It's getting worse where malnutrition, rickets and other manifestations of extreme poor diet are becoming apparent," he said.

Do people think this is genuinely down to inability to afford a balanced diet rather than people simply having a poor diet or other medical conditions causing malnutrition.

If it is down to poverty, does it prove increase use of food banks is not just because they are available, but because they are genuienly needed, and infact we need more.

Or if it is down to not just poverty but also poor decisions should other things be done, state food parcels for the poor instead of some of the money they currently receive. To ensure they receive food equating to a healthy balanced diet, rather than money they might spend on other things.

Comments

• Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All they have to do is cut down on champagne and holidays in Fiji, simples!
    No doubt that there is a significant rise in food related problems under this government.
    The only reasonable deduction is that this government are the cause.

I imagine some people will try and "blame the victim", a popular pastime for Conservatives and their supporters...
  • Options
    The infidelThe infidel Posts: 3,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To ensure adequate food is bought with benefits money, cash handouts should no longer be available. Instead a card should be issued to all those who need improved diet and help with chosing the correct foods, which can only be used for healthy foods both for benefits claimants and their children. Cigarettes and alcohol could not be purchased as the card will have a limited range of products. The govt could strike a deal with a major supermarket chain, the one that will give the biggest discount for food bought with public money.

Many of those who have decided to live off the efforts of the rest of us will tell you they have more than enough money. Many families living on benefits get more than those who are working so benefits are clearly to generous.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to Tory Britain.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    To ensure adequate food is bought with benefits money, cash handouts should no longer be available. Instead a card should be issued to all those who need improved diet and help with chosing the correct foods, which can only be used for healthy foods both for benefits claimants and their children. Cigarettes and alcohol could not be purchased as the card will have a limited range of products. The govt could strike a deal with a major supermarket chain, the one that will give the biggest discount for food bought with public money.

Many of those who have decided to live off the efforts of the rest of us will tell you they have more than enough money. Many families living on benefits get more than those who are working so benefits are clearly to generous.

Yet the number of working people needing to claim in work benefits has risen greatly and is increasing all the time, more working people than ever before needing to claim help with thier rent from housing benefit, 1 in 4 households in london needing to claim housing benefit, so this is not all about unemployed people
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Yet the number of working people needing to claim in work benefits has risen greatly and is increasing all the time, more working people than ever before needing to claim help with thier rent from housing benefit, 1 in 4 households in london needing to claim housing benefit, so this is not all about unemployed people
    What percentage of those 1 in 4 households in London needing to claim housing benefit are in work.?
    It looks like most are households where no one is working.
    http://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/policylobbying/welfarereforms/resources/TrackingWelfareReforminLondonaLondonCouncilsupdate.htm
    Number of households in London in receipt of housing benefit 850,212
    Number of those in social rented receiving Housing Benefit, where someone in the household is in work part-time or full-time report fails to mention.
    Number of those in private rented receiving LHA, where someone in the household is in work part-time or full-time 111,481
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I blame the rise of supermarkets and their cheap ready made foods full of chemicals. None of them contain well balanced vitamins and minerals and their fruit and veg are just as bad, sprayed with pesticides. Some people haven't got the time to cook but their meals would be far more nutritious if they learnt the basics. Imo.

I don't know why organic foods can't be cheaper than the bog standard stuff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    This will only get worse as the bank of England prints more and more of the fiat currency as a hidden tax on all of their slaves. Oh and your wages won't rise so soon you will be dependant on government chicken feed and when the welfare goes well welcome to the third world.
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    1) How many were related to anorexia?
    2) You do realise that the definition of malnutrition includes overeating. :rolleyes:
    3) It also includes lack of certain vitamins or minerals, which can be due to a poor choice of diet and no other reason.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of it is nothing to do with money and a lot to do with education and tradition. Britain has had notoriously bad eating habits for years. In mylocal supermarket it's cheaper to buy a bag of apples than a bag of Wotsits but guess which one many young mums buy and hand their toddler?

Most of the people I work with aren't British...Greek, Malaysian, Spanish...and they're are amazed at what the British people bring in for lunch while they're all eating salads, rice etc.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Rickets is caused primarily by lack of vitamin D, which can be acquired by sunlight instead of sitting indoors all day playing on the xbox. And I've just come back from Aldi with a ton of veg today, All for under £3. Is this malnutrition really caused by poverty? Or lack of education twinned with sheer laziness. Much easier to bung a tray of turkey twizzlers in the oven than it is to wash and prepare veg and meat for a proper meal.

Still, much easier to blame the government for all your woes I guess. The last generation grew up used to being spoon fed by new Labour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    While you moan about people having bad diets your are being robbed blind by inflation. Buy gold stop storing your fiat currency.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a look for some data and the situation looks worse than the one painted by the BBC.

BBC
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-28883892
    It comes after health figures recently revealed a 19% increase in the number of people admitted to hospital with malnutrition over the past year.

data from the Health and Social Care Information Centre showed the number of those admitted to hospital in England and Wales had risen from 5,469 to 6,520 over the past year

Official data paints a far far worse picture.
    http://www.hscic.gov.uk/article/4859/New-analysis-shows-current-picture-of-diseases-which-were-widespread-in-the-Victorian-era
    New figures published for the first time today paint a current picture of hospital admissions for some diseases that were widespread during the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Over the last five years there was a 71 per cent increase in hospital admissions where malnutrition was a primary or secondary diagnosis, from 3,900 admissions in 2009-10 to 6,690 admissions in 2013-14.
    Unless the election of the coalition government some how coincided with a massive 71% increase in people coincidentally choosing to eat a poor diet, I think things like welfare reform and cost of living crisis might have something to do with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While you moan about people having bad diets your are being robbed blind by inflation. Buy gold stop storing your fiat currency.
    The value of Gold over the last three years has decreased
    Spot price of gold
    https://www.blanchardgold.com/investment-news/spot-prices/gold/
    August 2011 $1,899.00
    August 2012 $1,692.00
    August 2013 $1,419.00
    August 2014 $1,281.50
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I blame the rise of supermarkets and their cheap ready made foods full of chemicals. None of them contain well balanced vitamins and minerals and their fruit and veg are just as bad, sprayed with pesticides. Some people haven't got the time to cook but their meals would be far more nutritious if they learnt the basics. Imo.

Aren't all foods "full of chemicals" and isn't all commercial fruit and vegetable produce "sprayed with pesticides"?

"Organic" food is more expensive and there is no nutritional benefit. They are also full of chemicals and sprayed with pesticides.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »

:D Thanks for that - good reply.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member

Organic is not always better. I was reading yesterday that organic milk has 42% less iodine than non-organic.

ETA: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/mediacentre/press/2011/59734_low_iodine_levels_in_organic_milk_could_compromise_brain_development_in_early_life.htm
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I've stood in the supermarket queue looking at baskets full of shite and women complainming about the price of spuds at £2 per kilo whilst unloading their trolley of potato crisps at 50p an ounce.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    Aren't all foods "full of chemicals" and isn't all commercial fruit and vegetable produce "sprayed with pesticides"?

"Organic" food is more expensive and there is no nutritional benefit. They are also full of chemicals and sprayed with pesticides.

You only have to read the ingredients of ready made meals to see the junk they put in them - additives, preservatives, synthetic flavouring and usually too much sugar and salt.
    You omit most of those if you cook your own meals. Delicious! ;-)

Organic fruit and veg is far more flavoursome and should be made affordable for everyone.
    I try and buy English fruit and veg whenever I can, because the fruits travelling from abroad are heavily sprayed with pesticide.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member

The "correct" foods for you to eat will differ depending on what your goals are won't they. The government advise us to get about 50 grams of protein a day which is fine for a sedentary office worker but a 200 pound bodybuilder on benefits will want around 200 grams a day. And I think a weekly unhealthy meal where you get to eat complete crap if you want is better for you in the long run because it encourages you to stick to healthier eating if you know you still get to have a treat each week. You could factor that into your card idea with people having an allowance of unhealthy stuff but really I think that that would put us too much into "big brother" territory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    Organic is not always better. I was reading yesterday that organic milk has 42% less iodine than non-organic.

ETA: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/mediacentre/press/2011/59734_low_iodine_levels_in_organic_milk_could_compromise_brain_development_in_early_life.htm

I didn't know that. In my case that's good news because I'm not meant to have too much iodine.

Someone once told me, that if people choose to eat organic produce then to make sure it's dairy. ( butter, cheese, milk, yogurt and meat) I can't remember why.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Organic fruit and veg is far more flavoursome and should be made affordable for everyone.

In blinded studies "organic" food tastes no better or worse than non-organic food.
    I try and buy English fruit and veg whenever I can, because the fruits travelling from abroad are heavily sprayed with pesticide.

The English fruit and veg you buy will also be sprayed with pesticide.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meanwhile obesity rates soar, we are told.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Meanwhile obesity rates soar, we are told.

You can be obese and still malnourished if your diet doesn't contain all the essential vitamins and minerals. This argument is a red herring. It is even claimed by some scientists that malnutrition causes obesity.

http://drhyman.com/blog/2012/02/29/how-malnutrition-causes-obesity/#close