Hitting your Partner if they Cheat.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2787623/Tiger-Woods-wife-allegedly-hit-him-in-face-with-golf-club.html

With the confirmation of what we already knew, does anyone think this is acceptable. Domestic violence towards men is sometimes seen as a bit of a joke. Many people have been saying that Tiger "deserved" what he got.

If you found out your partner had cheated would you hit them? If you did would they deserve it?

Any sympathy I had for his wife has all but gone. She seems extremely violent and I don't blame Tiger for looking elsewhere. She could have killed him.

Comments

• teenagemartyrteenagemartyr Posts: 6,782
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why Tiger Woods having an affair was headline news on BBC, ITV, Channel 4 News et al. Surely this is the sort of thing that would normally be dismissed as inane celebrity gossip?
  • teenagemartyrteenagemartyr Posts: 6,782
    Forum Member
    Post not showing
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I'd not lash out at them if they cheated, but would just rather tell them to pack their bags and leave the house, or - I'd take the kids we'd had and then leave myself. Tiger can't be trusted, anyway, in my opinion. Once is bad enough, but to have a load of flings - this just goes to show that you don't think much of your partner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tokenator wrote: »
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2787623/Tiger-Woods-wife-allegedly-hit-him-in-face-with-golf-club.html

With the confirmation of what we already knew, does anyone think this is acceptable. Domestic violence towards men is sometimes seen as a bit of a joke. Many people have been saying that Tiger "deserved" what he got.

If you found out your partner had cheated would you hit them? If you did would they deserve it?

Any sympathy I had for his wife has all but gone. She seems extremely violent and I don't blame Tiger for looking elsewhere. She could have killed him.

When my husband cheated on me I was angry and upset beyond all belief. Its the worst feeling in the world and I although I don't condone it in anyway I can understand why someone would lash out.

However the part in bold says it all - I would never allow people an opportunity to say such things about me and turn his behaviour into my fault.
  • Robert RomarinRobert Romarin Posts: 11,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the one hand, I think it's legitimate to make some allowance for a 'crime of passion'.

On the other hand, it's still a crime or should be IMO...and I'm bound to wonder (assuming these reports are true, of course) if the reaction would be different if a husband battered his cheating wife with a golf club. Often I find myself questioning the seemingly widespread acceptance of, or even support for, vengeful acts...especially those involving violence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends what you mean by hit.

Slap in the face is justified, punch in the head not so much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well both Tiger and his manager are saying its wrong, she was not violent.....so what do you believe.
    Violence of any type from either male of female is wrong.....
    Tiger is a dog..........the world has seen this......his disrespect for his family seems to know no bounds.
    He disgusts me.
    Is children will pay the price for the way he has chosen to behaved.
  • Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be a massively different story if a man had broken a womans cheekbone with a golf club for cheating on him. All the sympathy would be with the woman and people would be speculating as to whether they had been violent before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No hitting your partner is domestic abuse and that can never be considered the right thing to do.

But I can't feel a great deal of compassion for someone like Tiger Woods!
  • The ManglerThe Mangler Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my husband cheated on me I was angry and upset beyond all belief. Its the worst feeling in the world and I although I don't condone it in anyway I can understand why someone would lash out.

I felt the same when it happened to me. and as tempted as I was to really do some physical damage I refrained somehow, something Im pleased of now.

Nobody has the right to hit someone else, but I can understand why it happens in some cases.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No it's not.

Violence is never acceptable, unless is self defence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tokenator wrote: »

Actually i do feel sympathy for Tiger's wife in this case. She has been taken for a fool and even though she did the wrong thing by hurting her husband, I think its understandable why she did it.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I haven't hit any one when I think about it.

I bopped someone on the head lightly with a light newspaper as she was annoying and would not respond to decent conversation.
  • trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    i have this amusing sketch in my head of his wife going for him with the 9-iron, and him trying to keep her at bay by firing balls back at her with a 5-wood
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tegan1973 wrote: »
    even though she did the wrong thing by hurting her husband, I think its understandable why she did it.

No, it's not understandable.

If she did what is reported, then that's ABH/GBH, or whatever the equivalent is in America.

Would you consider it "understandable" if I broke my cheating wife's cheek with a golf club, or would it be different because I'm a man?
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    was tempted to slap my ex around the face when i found out he was cheating on me, i didnt but i can understand someone losing their temper to an extent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »

If she did what is reported, then that's ABH/GBH, or whatever the equivalent is in America.

Would you consider it "understandable" if I broke my cheating wife's cheek with a golf club, or would it be different because I'm a man?

No no, a violent assault with a weapon is a violent assault with a weapon. But in this instance we do not appear to have a complainant. It is just possible that an attempt is being made to prepare the ground for a dirty divorce battle.
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends what you mean by hit.

What if the cheater is the woman, is it justifiable for a man to give her a slap round the face? Hard one that is.

I can understand the feelings of overwhelming anger and frustration, your stomach churning over, your head spinning with millions of thought rushing through, a distorted mindset. With all that happening I can how easily it is to try and rid yourself of some of the feelings and bring some sort of perspective, sense and order to an awful situation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her hitting him is not acceptable. But lets be clear here he didn't just 'cheat' he put her and each of her babies/pregnancies at risk of death innumerable times. So while I agree that what she did (if she did it) was unacceptable. The risk he chose to expose her to repeatedly was a million times worse.
  • Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do suspect that if a man whacked his wife in the face with a golf club after finding out about an affair, the bigger story would be the domestic abuse and NOT the affair itself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »

Its very understandable. Its not just one instance of Tiger sleeping with another party, and making a mistake. Its numerous occasions involving prostitutes and countless other women. He has behaved very badly and has shown complete disrespect for women, never mind his wife and seems to have no morals.

So yes I can completely understand why she lashed out at him. Although I think that violence is never right, in this case I have a huge amount of sympathy for Tiger's wife and how he has obviously just used her to create the right image.

We do not know whether it is an assault. It has been kept a mystery as Tiger said his wife 'saved him' initially didn't he? Who is to say what actually happened. These celebrities say anything to illicit sympathy.

And your last question, would i consider it assault if you broke your wife's cheek with a golf club? Yes of course I would.
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    CASPER1066 wrote: »
    Violence of any type from either male of female is wrong.....

Totally agree.
  • Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do suspect that if a man whacked his wife in the face with a golf club after finding out about an affair, the bigger story would be the domestic abuse and NOT the affair itself.

It sounds like a bloody vicious attack and had it been the other way around then nobody would be surprised if he had been jailed. It is also tempting to think that she must have had the sort of personality that would make infidelity much more understandable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree, it is massive double standards. As people have said if it was the other way around and I came on here saying "well she was cheating on him, I can understand why he smacked her around the head with a golf club". I would be quite rightly shouted down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tegan1973 wrote: »
    And your last question, would i consider it assault if you broke your wife's cheek with a golf club? Yes of course I would.

You are evading the question.

I didn't ask if me hitting my cheating wife with a golf club would be assault, I asked if it would be understandable?