Arsenal Supporters Thread (Part 4)

Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,947
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Goodwin wrote: »
Perhaps Wenger should take another look at the Barca/Inter match and take notes on how to defend. :rolleyes:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking the same through. Watching teams like Bayern and Inter get to the final because of the tactical brilliance of their managers brings into sharp focus why we will never win the CL under Wenger. Our players and the coaching staff need to learn how to play the game when we don't have the ball and that outscoring the opposition simply doesn't work against the very best.

Wenger says he wants business to be concluded before the WC, now where have I heard that before?? Call me cynical but season ticket renewals are about to go out and I suspect quite a few may not bother as was the case last year. I fully expect us to be scrambling around for bargain basement buys in the run up to the transfer window closing in August. If we do get our team sorted before the WC it will make a very welcome change but I'm not expecting it.:rolleyes:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably fitting that the new thread be started another overwhelmingly gloomy and miserable Tel post. :D
  • wsmansemwsmansem Posts: 1,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S.D. Shrew

Don't want Diarra either, far more trouble than he's worth.
    Totally agree, if he came back he would only bring disruption to the team and moan the first time he didn't start a game.

Although he is a class player , Spose we have Song , though .
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if it's worth having a look at Cahill at Bolton, I'm sure if we offered them Wilshere for another season then Coyle would bite.
    Looks like a win-win to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quote :
    Wilshere isn't ready to play regularly for us yet and should stay at Bolton for another season.
    ____---

Although we could use him as a supersub so he can gain experience in the Arsenal way .
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    Wonder if it's worth having a look at Cahill at Bolton, I'm sure if we offered them Wilshere for another season then Coyle would bite.
    Looks like a win-win to me.

I was going to post this evening that I have heard today - from the same source who gave me the nod on Arshavin and Nasry - that Cahill will be joining at the end of the season for £10m - with Wilshere staying at Bolton for another year as part of the deal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Coyle say earlier this week that Cahill wasn't leaving for less than 17mill if he made the world cup squad?

I didn't read the article, but I'm sure I saw something like that on Sky. £10mill for a defender with Premiership experience would be a pretty good deal. Although I haven't paid him enough attention on the pitch to judge whether he'd be good or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather we went for Fulham's Hengaland ( spelling) , he was man of the match again tonight I understand .
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S.D. Shrew wrote: »
    Didn't Coyle say earlier this week that Cahill wasn't leaving for less than 17mill if he made the world cup squad?

I didn't read the article, but I'm sure I saw something like that on Sky. £10mill for a defender with Premiership experience would be a pretty good deal. Although I haven't paid him enough attention on the pitch to judge whether he'd be good or not.

He would be the sort of player I think we should be looking at so I'll guess we'll have to wait and see.

Hopefully in 12 months time you can all laugh at my miserable opening post after we've won the league or the CL.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tel69 wrote: »
    He would be the sort of player I think we should be looking at so I'll guess we'll have to wait and see.

Hopefully in 12 months time you can all laugh at my miserable opening post after we've won the league or the CL.;)

With or without Cesc , I wonder ??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wsmansem wrote: »
    With or without Cesc , I wonder ??

I do feel he will be with us next season but after that it will depend on a combo of possible new manager/how we've done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    I was going to post this evening that I have heard today - from the same source who gave me the nod on Arshavin and Nasry - that Cahill will be joining at the end of the season for £10m - with Wilshere staying at Bolton for another year as part of the deal.

I think also that from reading Wengers comments on the official site that he can't plan what will happen at Centre Half as Gallas still hasn't signed!! With Sol,Senderos and Silvestre all in a dubious status contract wise we could concievably lose 4 centre halves this summer. I hope Gallas isn't indulged for much longer as we need to plan ASAP although my gut feeling is that he wants to go to Roma and play for Ranieri again.:eek:

On the flip side, Denilson will miss the last 2 games so every cloud..........;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wenger says he's giving Gallas til the end of May before he starts looking around for a replacement, which is more than fair enough. If he's going to hold out this long then chances are his head isn't really with us anyway.

We've been playing without Senderos for years now, it wont make any difference when he finally leaves. Silvestre and Gallas will both need to be replaced though, as a bare minimum.
  • naveennaveen Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Gallas is away, a shame but if he hasn't decided by now his heart isn't really in it to stay with us.

Rumour about Mexes has started again, along with Frey who seems to have been mentioned in nearly every summer transfer window.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't want Mexes. He's all about shirt grabbing and underhand stuff without the aerial domination and strength that usually goes with that sort of defender. Plus he was atrocious at the Emirates when we played them the other year, got himself suspended for the second leg with a completely brainless tackle and gave away a penalty if memory serves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S.D. Shrew wrote: »
    I really don't want Mexes. He's all about shirt grabbing and underhand stuff without the aerial domination and strength that usually goes with that sort of defender. Plus he was atrocious at the Emirates when we played them the other year, got himself suspended for the second leg with a completely brainless tackle and gave away a penalty if memory serves.

I remember when Mexes was to be the next big thing @ Auxerre and that we were getting him.......Like yourself I'm glad we didn't as he isn't very good. I'm not bothered who we get as long as they're good and they settle quickly. I just don't want to be told having Djourou back is like having a new signing because he wasn't very good before he got injured.:rolleyes:
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I'm wondering if Arshavin will be with us next time - apparently he upset AW by criticising medical staff (according to SSN) and said he wanted to join Barca :confused:
  • satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I'm wondering if Arshavin will be with us next time - apparently he upset AW by criticising medical staff (according to SSN) and said he wanted to join Barca :confused:

I would let him go if I were Arsene, for sure he's a real talent when he wants to be, but he's also quite fond of letting his mouth run away with him, and he hasn't really tried at all this season - if he wants to join Barca, let him - we don't want another Barndoor-type in the dressing room, unhappy and only playing under duress, with a sulk on his face.

I read in the paper yesterday that Wenger still has faith in his squad and only wants to buy another 2 or 3 max players to strengthen :rolleyes: I hope that includes a bloody good goalie - but I suspect not.....!!!
  • jkainjkain Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oddly, on Sky sports text this morning there was a story on Arshavin refuting the comments about wanting to join Barca, saying he was miss-quoted and that his words were lost in translation. At the same time the presenter on SSN was stating that he had "reiterated his desire to join Barca" as a fact.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    If he wants to go maybe we should let him BUT only if we buy someone else in ADDITION to the "two or three" players AW is talking about. Eg don't sell Arshavin and only buy Chamakh, buy him and someone else, plus a goalie and defenders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His agent was talking on Talksport a couple of days ago , he said that the interviewer just randomly asked if he would like to play for Barca sometime in the future , his reply was 'who wouldn't " . That isn't looking for a move to Barca in my book .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    If he wants to go maybe we should let him BUT only if we buy someone else in ADDITION to the "two or three" players AW is talking about. Eg don't sell Arshavin and only buy Chamakh, buy him and someone else, plus a goalie and defenders.

I personally believe that he was misquoted and that it's the usual SSN trying to set their agenda as they've now realised their precious title race isn't as exciting to everyone as they think it is.

Do however be very aware that if he does go he will not be replaced by another big name. He hasn't had a great season admittedly but he he is exactly the sort of player we do need for when someone eventually gets hold of the squad and turns it into something that can win trophies.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too believe he was misquoted - as are many people these days.

"What do you think of Barcelona?"

"They're a great side."

"Would you like to play for them one day?"

"Who wouldn't?"

= Arsenal are crap and I can't wait to leave and join Barcelona.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He said on the official site that he was misquoted, so that's enough for me. I'd rather chose to believe him than any of the rags who do nothing but try to make a story rather than reporting one.

I suppose it's been so readily believed because he does spend so much of the game just walking around and not seeming to put as much effort in as the rest. That's his style and that's fine if it works, but he's missed quite a few easy chances over the past few months and when you don't look bothered it'll cause friction with the fans.
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    satellite wrote: »
    I read in the paper yesterday that Wenger still has faith in his squad and only wants to buy another 2 or 3 max players to strengthen :rolleyes: I hope that includes a bloody good goalie - but I suspect not.....!!!

What worries me is that this could well be true even if we lose a few players. We don't end up strengthening the squad overall. We need to do more than just replace if we want real depth in the squad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen a few transfer rumours regarding Barca and Robin Van Persie and Wayne Rooney and David Villa .

Watch this space as they have a presidential election coming up .
This discussion has been closed.