Options

Has Anyone Ever Taken Antidepressants?

Comments

• Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been to the GPs and she talked to me for ages. She filled in the questionnaire where I had to answer the questions, and I scored 12 out of 27 showing mild depression. She asked whether I would like to try counselling or anti-depressants or both and I opted for counselling. She said if it didn't work she could prescribe something. I feel mucch better for talking about it as I tend to bottle things up and not bother anyone.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    I'm on Mirtazapine for anxiety - after coming off my previous medication 6 months ago. I guess some brains need a bit of help, if you're diabetic you take insulin - what's the difference.
    You take these pills at night - and have the most vivid realistic dreams EVER - I love sleeping and wonder what the next cool dream will be. Dreams are more fun than my real life sadly!!
  • Options
    Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    I'm on Mirtazapine for anxiety - after coming off my previous medication 6 months ago. I guess some brains need a bit of help, if you're diabetic you take insulin - what's the difference.
    You take these pills at night - and have the most vivid realistic dreams EVER - I love sleeping and wonder what the next cool dream will be. Dreams are more fun than my real life sadly!!

That's what I'm on now. What dosage are you on? I've been put on 15mg and it's helped though the effects seem to wear off a bit the next day. I feel the anxiety creeping back in.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    That's what I'm on now. What dosage are you on? I've been put on 15mg and it's helped though the effects seem to wear off a bit the next day. I feel the anxiety creeping back in.

15mg too - I had a few up days and then a few down days and now am on day1 and half of up. I'll give it until the end of next week to see if I need to up it. It's all about getting the right dosage for you.
    Do you have brilliant dreams too??
  • Options
    Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    15mg too - I had a few up days and then a few down days and now am on day1 and half of up. I'll give it until the end of next week to see if I need to up it. It's all about getting the right dosage for you.
    Do you have brilliant dreams too??

Pretty weird dreams. They make no sense when I wake up though.

I suffer mainly from depression, but I've been getting more anxious in recent months. It's been like one long anxiety attack for me. Always on edge, nervous, horrible tight feeling in my chest. I worry about anything and I just can't tune out.

Sometimes i think it would be great if you could just turn your mind off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was put on beta blockers then 40mgs a day of citalopram for 6 months after 4 months of anxiety, panic attacks due to a work situation. When my doctor first suggested I may be depressed I insisted I wasn't, I was just pissed off and that I didn't want any 'crazy pills'... Never had I been depressed in my life and I didn't want to think that I ever could be. After a couple of assessments and some tearful sessions at the surgery, I was diagnosed as severely depressed. I guess looking back now I was, and after a few weeks of medication, I did begin to feel a bit better. I took myself off the pills without consultation and in hind sight it was silly and I wouldn't recommend it. Occasionally I can feel myself slipping back to how I felt before and in all honesty the situation that caused the depression in the first place does still get to me sometimes although I'm not in that situation anymore. I'm rambling now, but the advice from me would be go to your doctor, be as honest and open as you can with them and accept any help offered. It's nothing to be ashamed about and is so much more common than you might think. Good luck x
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    I was put on beta blockers then 40mgs a day of citalopram for 6 months after 4 months of anxiety, panic attacks due to a work situation. When my doctor first suggested I may be depressed I insisted I wasn't, I was just pissed off and that I didn't want any 'crazy pills'... Never had I been depressed in my life and I didn't want to think that I ever could be. After a couple of assessments and some tearful sessions at the surgery, I was diagnosed as severely depressed. I guess looking back now I was, and after a few weeks of medication, I did begin to feel a bit better. I took myself off the pills without consultation and in hind sight it was silly and I wouldn't recommend it. Occasionally I can feel myself slipping back to how I felt before and in all honesty the situation that caused the depression in the first place does still get to me sometimes although I'm not in that situation anymore. I'm rambling now, but the advice from me would be go to your doctor, be as honest and open as you can with them and accept any help offered. It's nothing to be ashamed about and is so much more common than you might think. Good luck x

I agree, although it took months for me to see my GP. I had thought she would think I was being silly or something, but depression is very real and debilitating if left to get worse. Luckily, it's only mild with me but that's bad enough. I don't know how people cope when it's severe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been taking Citalopram for a couple of years and have recently began a withdrawal process with the advice of my doctor - I've been reduced from taking 20mgs every day to 10mgs every other day.

I thought they were alright while I was on them but then I got a diagnosis for my mental health problems and it turns out it's something that a drug like Citalorpram won't really touch, and because that particular anti-depressant caused me to gain FOUR STONE during the time I was taking it, my doctor whipped me off them. I'm quite relieved as I can already feel my personality coming back. I didn't realise how much of a zombie the pills made me.

All this said, while I would hesitate to suggest someone go straight onto anti-depressants without trying anything else first based on my own experience, I think the best thing you can do is have a good talk with your GP and see what the options are. Mental health services in most areas are appalling, unfortunately, but it might be good to at least try and see if you can get an appointment with counsellor. It might be important to really delve into what the root of your depression is and what you could do (other than pills) to help yourself.

Good luck. Hang in there!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes i took them when i was in a very dark and depressed state. They where absolutely brilliant for getting me through this time and went off them after 6 months because i did not want a life time dependancy. I reccommend them and you will not know yourself in a couple of months:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on which ones you take

One made me constipated and put on weight, then when I came off them my skin was very sensitive.

The other one worked for a short time and both affected the sex life
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm on sertraline. Started off on 25mg for the first week, went up to 50mg for the first month then up to 100mg. The only real side effect I had was complete disinterest in food, and lost about 2 stone. This wasn't an issue for me as I was overweight anyway.

I'm on them for depression, anxiety and panic attacks. If I'm completely honest I didn't think they would work, but they have changed my life considerably. I no longer think of suicide, don't have repetitive thoughts and have even left the house on occasion.I no longer obsess over death. I think a lot of people are scared that it will change them. I'm still the same person I was, quite cynical and I'm never going to be the super happy person - thats just not me. What I don't have any more is the horrible lows. I still feel the same but my moods are more stable.

I'm on the same medication as you at the moment but 150mg.. The weight loss (for me) is a godsend.. I was on Mirtazapine for 2 years previously and put on 3 stone :eek: that's all gone now and I'm back to the size I should be... I really rate Sertraline.. I'm always going to have this depression shite, I've had all sorts of medications over the years but getting older now, I think I've grown into myself .. I accept that I'm a miserable mare :D that doesn't bother me at all.. It was the turmoil within that was the issue... I still feel the same but deal with it better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take Trazodone, it's good for fibromyalgia too if anyone is interested.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    I've been to the GPs and she talked to me for ages. She filled in the questionnaire where I had to answer the questions, and I scored 12 out of 27 showing mild depression. She asked whether I would like to try counselling or anti-depressants or both and I opted for counselling. She said if it didn't work she could prescribe something. I feel mucch better for talking about it as I tend to bottle things up and not bother anyone.

Glad it was helpful - and hope that the counselling works for you.

I do (probably quite wrongly) get the impression that you are apt to downplay your own feelings. It might be interesting to head to the NHS site and take the depressions test yourself.
    CBT does help for so many people and the NHS is a great start for other self-help as well.

I'm sure you will soon feel much better - but, if not, don't hesitate to go back and try other remedies - or, indeed, a mixture. :)

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/depression.aspx
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on the same medication as you at the moment but 150mg.. The weight loss (for me) is a godsend.. I was on Mirtazapine for 2 years previously and put on 3 stone :eek: that's all gone now and I'm back to the size I should be... I really rate Sertraline.. I'm always going to have this depression shite, I've had all sorts of medications over the years but getting older now, I think I've grown into myself .. I accept that I'm a miserable mare :D that doesn't bother me at all.. It was the turmoil within that was the issue... I still feel the same but deal with it better.
    Yes, I was on Sertraline and it was excellent. The appetite loss is the only side effect I suffered. What was tough for me was coming off it. It was such a come down.
  • Options
    Louise-annLouise-ann Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, I'm on them too have been for years... they do give me some help, I'm 5 months into bereavement at the moment though, so they're doing as best as they can whilst I'm in the mist of things.

Prozac is the one that seems to suit me best.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take 3 x 100mg quietiapine, 4 x 100mg Trazodone (at night) and 4 diazapam through the day 5mg.
  • Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you. :) I feel bad now because although it's gone on for months, it doesn't seem to be as bad as what other people have experienced. There again, one of my problems is constantly worrying about other people and their problems - people who I don't even know very well and have nothing to do with me.

I have had two spells on Prozac one 20 years ago, one about 10, the relief was immediate and I always say it's my 'drug of choice' :D

I have been struggling with a bereavement but have fought against going for a prescription as I feel my grief is something I should be able to deal with. I am coming out of the other side now.

Take the meds your Dr prescribes, accept the help, get well again and regain your balanced perspective on life. Good luck :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I have had to take citalopram on and off before. But I will not take seroxat ever again :(
  • Options
    davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took a low dose of Citalopram for 6 months. I had terrible problems adjusting for 48 hours, but it saw me through an acute depression and I weaned myself off them slowly.
    I recommend this site if you want to take control of your medication and try what's best suited for you.
    http://crazymeds.us/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been prescribed Cymbalta. I'm now on day 3.

I have read lots of bad things about this drug and that the withdrawal is much worse than the original reason you were given them (I have cyclothymia, like Steven Fry) and am getting panic attacks and have depression.

I don't know wether to carry on or ask for something else
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ive been on citalopram before.

they do work... if you give them a chance.

the only side effect I came across was major loss in sexual appetite / ability to orgasm.

be careful when the time comes to cut them out.
    I phased mine down slower than the doctor suggested, and even then felt some withdrawal effects (but nothing major)
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to sometimes try a few anti Ds before you get the right one. Citalopram and Prozac made me worse.

Citalopram made me suicidal and Prozac turned me into a drooling zombie yet Sertraline works!

If you're drug isn't working after a few weeks, please tell your doctor.
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes OP, I have and the side effects were ok-ish.

I got a bit of dry mouth - I had to keep a bottle of water about, and I got a few patches of dry skin, but apart from that I was ok.
  • Options
    QFourQFour Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Took them for about 6 months then started getting hot sweats. Would happen at anytime. Mentioned it to a doctor at the sailing club and he asked what I was taking. He suggested stopping gradually and the hot sweats stopped after a couple of weeks. Use them to get better but stop as soon as you can..
  • Options
    newpetertardnewpetertard Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Imipramine is great.