Is the hate for Bruce due to ageism?

Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
Forum Member
I noticed that when Bruce turned 80 everyone turned on him and started calling for his retirement, was that because of his age? because if it is it's petty because MANY men Bruces age are in nursing homes and can barely walk and Brucie is great.

Bruce is old school and I would rather watch him on Strictly instead of someone like John Barrowman or Vernon Kay.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's because he can't do his job properly.
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    I noticed that when Bruce turned 80 everyone turned on him and started calling for his retirement, was that because of his age? because if it is it's petty because MANY men Bruces age are in nursing homes and can barely walk and Brucie is great.

Bruce is old school and I would rather watch him on Strictly instead of someone like John Barrowman or Vernon Kay.

I wouldn't worry.

People have been calling for Bruce's retirement since before he started working. It has nothing to do with age and everything to do with taste.
  • JambobJambob Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's just that he is struggling to do his job. I would liken it to the time Big Brother hired a presenter called 'Zizi' for their companion show, she was young but she was inept and there was an outcry from the shows fans.

Bruce can still do the ad-libs and work an audience, but he can't do the basics anymore, reading the autocue, remembering the contestants names, delivering a script etc.

I don't hate Bruce, I just think the show would be better with a different presenter.
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I‘d never heard the term before but tall poppy syndrome was said of Victoria tonight and would apply equally well to Brucie.
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,961
    Forum Member
    I don't think it is an ageism thing like others have said it is because he can't do his job and he is past it, as i have said before he was good in his day but his day is long gone and he should retire with a bit of dignity left. I know they are completely different circumstances and different shows but look at Larry Hagman, people are asking how will Dallas continue without him now he has died because he was still so good at his job on Dallas. Larry was 81 whilst Bruce is 84 so there isn't that much difference in age and they are the same age group so it can't all be put down to ageism just a decline in quality on Bruce's part.
  • fabulistfabulist Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly Bruce is simply terrible. Each week we are subjected to car crash TV as he talks over people, struggles with basic speech, makes rude comments and performs painful "comedy" skits that force the increasingly depressed and annoyed contestants to force on a smile or a laugh. I'm unsure who it's crueler on, him or the audience.
    The only way I see it ending is when he says or does something so embarrassing or offensive that the spineless BBC are forced to take action.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    I‘d never heard the term before but tall poppy syndrome was said of Victoria tonight and would apply equally well to Brucie.

Alternatively, Victoria was a crap dancer and Bruce is a crap presenter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a hysterical thread

No the hate for brucie isnt down to ageism

There comes a time in everyones life where they cannot carry on in their job due to their age.

Its why people retire.

Happens to everyone....boxers, footballers, actors etc etc

Bruce is one of our greatest ever all round entertainers, but he physically cant do the job anymore.

The man needs to retire and he needs to do it without any newspaper reports of "oh the bbc pushed me out, i could have carried on etc etc"

He just needs to leave gracefully
  • DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, as I said on another thread, I have much respect for his work ethic. Sadly his abilities are on the wane and his constant fumbling mistakes and ineptitude are now spoiling my enjoyment of the show.

If he could still cut the mustard I wouldn't care if he was 24, 84 or 104. Unfortunately he can't. Simple as that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm no fan of his but he is pretty nimble for his age and unique.

He's not my first choice for Strictly but when he was away, the presenters were lacking something.

When he decides to give up Strictly, I hope they find a good personality to replace him and not leave those two women to host it.
  • coppertop1coppertop1 Posts: 4,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rotationbl wrote: »
    No, it's because he can't do his job properly.

sad and so obviously true

he does need to go and I personally thought the show was much slicker and held together better with Tess and Claudia
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    fabulist wrote: »
    Sadly Bruce is simply terrible. Each week we are subjected to car crash TV as he talks over people, struggles with basic speech, makes rude comments and performs painful "comedy" skits that force the increasingly depressed and annoyed contestants to force on a smile or a laugh. I'm unsure who it's crueler on, him or the audience.
    The only way I see it ending is when he says or does something so embarrassing or offensive that the spineless BBC are forced to take action.

Ironically some or all of that is thats a danger with Len and Bruno and its certainly there with Claudia too.

Much of the time people miss the point that he's putting it on some of the time. It just might not be a wise thing to do given the lack of current TV comedy elsewhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeltaBlues wrote: »
    No, as I said on another thread, I have much respect for his work ethic. Sadly his abilities are on the wane and his constant fumbling mistakes and ineptitude are now spoiling my enjoyment of the show.

If he could still cut the mustard I wouldn't care if he was 24, 84 or 104. Unfortunately he can't. Simple as that.
    ^ ^ ^ This. So much so. As you age there's a HUGE difference between 74 (when he took over Strictly), and 84. Mentally he's way past it now and it's embarrassing and cringeworthy. He needs to go gracefully and recognise that the thing that made him so great an all round entertainer in his heyday just aren't there any longer.
    I literally groan most of the time it's his turn. I feel so sorry for Tess, she has a tough time getting him through a show.

Nothing to do with ageism, just being able to do a competant job. Go and enjoy retirement Brucie. Gawd knows you've earned it.
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I like Sir Bruce's old school clean approach, I personally think that the real reason is jealousy.
  • jjackson42jjackson42 Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Bruce should go because he is

a. Rubbish

b. Embarrasing

c. A shadow of his former self

d. totally replacable

JJ

BTW - I'm ancient too - I saw him in his prime 50 years ago so its definitely not ageism.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't because of ageism because I am 76 so he is only 8 years or so older than me. It is because he is not doing his job properly and if it were a member of the public making so many mistakes in their job, they would be out on their ear pronto!
    I like Sir Bruce's old school clean approach, I personally think that the real reason is jealousy.

If you are going to make such silly statements, at least get the correct word! It should be "envy"! In other words we are all envious of him - I don't think so!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ironically some or all of that is thats a danger with Len and Bruno and its certainly there with Claudia too.

Much of the time people miss the point that he's putting it on some of the time. It just might not be a wise thing to do given the lack of current TV comedy elsewhere.

I agree Sir Bruce just does a parody of the doddery image for laughs, they just need to get rid of the auto cue maching & let him ad lib which is what he does best.
  • Old DudeOld Dude Posts: 273
    Forum Member

There's not much sense in quoting a couple of pretty awful potential alternatives as a justification for keeping anyone. You might as well have suggested Jedward as a reason for maintaining the status quo..

As for ageism, some of us are not very far behind him in the queue outside the undertakers but that doesn't stop us thinking enough is enough.

And hate? I reserve that for evil rather than utterly tiresome.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry.

People have been calling for Bruce's retirement since before he started working. It has nothing to do with age and everything to do with taste.
    And there's an unwritten rule on DS that says a new "Bruce must go" thread has to be started every two days at least.
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,430
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    And there's an unwritten rule on DS that says a new "Bruce must go" thread has to be started every two days at least.

......and they'll carry on until he, or the BBC takes the hint :)
  • catkins198catkins198 Posts: 712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Bruce and I admire him still going strong at his age. My dad is the same age as him and there is no way my dad could do that job bless him.

Up to the last series I would have defended Bruce hosting Strictly but this series he definitely is struggling and I find that very sad and think he should make this his last series.

I did think though that the week he wasn't there and the judges had that argument that had Bruce been there he would have stopped it. Tess just let it go on far too long
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think hate is the most spurious part of the thread title.

People would like to see Bruce retire from SCD because they care. They care enough not to want Bruce to continue to publicly humiliate himself by fluffing lines, getting unsteady on his feet and generally deteriorating on a week by week basis on live TV.

We would all rather remember him at his best, and not as the shadow of his former glory he appears to be turning into.
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I feel a blanket dismissal of all criticisms of Brucie poor presenting style as ageism is truly a very lazy and condescending.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »

The viewers love Sir Bruce, it only happens here.
  • AquajaneyAquajaney Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is time he went as in the early rounds he was unable to keep up wit the pace of the show, causing it to go off schedule which meant that they cut the judges comments. ( Which I consider more important )

This was caused by him dithering, fluffing his lines and 'ad libbing'.

This isn't so crucial now we have fewer contestants but at the beginning I would really have like to have the judges explain why they were about to give the scores they did.

That is the idea of the show rather than a stand up show with a bit of dance.