Sky Sports Cricket Coverage 2014

Neil_HarrisNeil_Harris Posts: 1,822
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The county fixture list has been announced today

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2014/content/match/fixtures.html?country=1;country=27;season=2014;class=4;class=5;class=6

Quite a radical change, the main one being the scrapping of the Pro 40 competiton.
How will this effect Sky's coverage, that competition was used as filler but now that has gone what will they do?

The 40 over competition has been replaced by a 50 over, which is played over 3 weeks in the summer and clashes with 2 of the tests. so at least 10 days of that won't be televised.

There is only championship cricket until 16th May when the Friday night T20 Blast begins. Will we only have one championship match shown between April 6th - May 16th meaning Sky will only broadcast 4 days of cricket in the first 5 weeks of the season?

For cricket the new fixture list and structure is most welcome but perhaps not for Cricket on TV.

Comments

• stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,084
    Forum Member
    Never understood the point of the 40 over tournament. Nobody else that I'm aware of plays it in any other country, and it's not an international format, so always seemed a waste of time to me. But yeah, anyway, I don't know how many CC games they're meant to be showing this season but they'll probably just show possibly the D1 champions opening game, and then a small handful more towards the end of the season when there's things to play for. Just my guess though.
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,161
    Forum Member
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Never understood the point of the 40 over tournament. Nobody else that I'm aware of plays it in any other country, and it's not an international format, so always seemed a waste of time to me. But yeah, anyway, I don't know how many CC games they're meant to be showing this season but they'll probably just show possibly the D1 champions opening game, and then a small handful more towards the end of the season when there's things to play for. Just my guess though.

The 40 over format is what got me into watching live cricket with the Sunday League. My dad taking me with picnic and a finish around 6.30pm assuming you got all the overs used.

50 overs takes too long as it has a 10:30 or 11:00 start unless it is a day night game these days. In fact a well play 40 over game is no different to 50 overs as you always have 10 + overs of dead play in the middle of a 50 over innings hence the power plays. The only positive with 50 overs is it fills more TV time and can be sold as an all day rather than just afternoon game.
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    IIRC, Sky even dropped their coverage of a late championship match this year after the competition had already been decided. I think that's pretty awful, I have to say. I would have enjoyed watching the game, regardless of whether it was a dead rubber or not.

I really hope they cover more 4-day matches this year under the new schedule. I must admit, I didn't realise that the one-day format would be squeezed into a short three weeks. I guess that's to attract more overseas players, but I'm not sure if I think that's a good thing or not.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the point of the 50 over game is for it to mirror the international format.

More details are obviously still to be realised, but I don't think its such a bad idea to replace the Pro40 with the 50 over competition.

How will they format the new Twenty20 competition as well.
    Forum Member
    How will they format the new Twenty20 competition as well.

Check the first post and link.
    T20 will be played for a longer period but with matches focused on a Friday night so you get people wanting a night out and also children don't have school the next day. There are also some games on Saturday afternoon. You also see single games earlier in the week obviously so Sky can show them live and spread out the coverage.
  • Neil_HarrisNeil_Harris Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »

The point of the modern day 40 over competition was to fill Sky's schedules
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    IIRC, Sky even dropped their coverage of a late championship match this year after the competition had already been decided. I think that's pretty awful, I have to say. I would have enjoyed watching the game, regardless of whether it was a dead rubber or not.

I really hope they cover more 4-day matches this year under the new schedule. I must admit, I didn't realise that the one-day format would be squeezed into a short three weeks. I guess that's to attract more overseas players, but I'm not sure if I think that's a good thing or not.

They could feasibly show a game a week up until Sri Lanka arrive, they won't but they could.

Having had time to digest this, I feel the 50 over is a positive step. It's the international game.
    And having it over 3 weeks is a good move. Put's everybody in OD mode. Recently been trialled with great success in Australia (and broadcast on FTA television)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    Check the first post and link.
    T20 will be played for a longer period but with matches focused on a Friday night so you get people wanting a night out and also children don't have school the next day. There are also some games on Saturday afternoon. You also see single games earlier in the week obviously so Sky can show them live and spread out the coverage.

Middlesex have no Friday games, they were given permission to play on Thursdays. They are even trialling a double header.
  • LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Middlesex have no Friday games, they were given permission to play on Thursdays. They are even trialling a double header.

Im confused by this. On Saturday May 17 are Middlesex playing BOTH Essex and Sussex one after the other!?!?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOSG wrote: »
    Im confused by this. On Saturday May 17 are Middlesex playing BOTH Essex and Sussex one after the other!?!?

Yeah. first time it's ever been done.
    Forum Member

You get it on finals day every year with the winner of the 2nd semi playing the final straight after.

Is though the first time in the early stages.
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

thats good, but i bet they will charge double for that...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    You get it on finals day every year with the winner of the 2nd semi playing the final straight after.

Is though the first time in the early stages.

So it's the first time it's ever been done.

Pricing will be very interesting. They get good crowds that day but it's FA Cup final day. A London team in the final will hit the crowds.
    Will be interesting to see if sky take that game, with only one other game (Lancashire, a sky favourite) also playing.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think teams in Major League Baseball play two games in a day on occasions, but I'm not sure if they charge twice for them or not.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't have thought they'd charge double, but I think they would be justified in charging more than for a single match.
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    What are the chances of Graeme Swann joining the team?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Every chance I imagine, he's just the type they want.
    Surely it's time they listened to popular opinion and axed Nick Knight?
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

High; does anyone remember him jokingly telling Nasser Hussain in an interview after England's last victorious trip that he was after his job? :D
  • hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every chance I imagine, he's just the type they want.
    Surely it's time they listened to popular opinion and axed Nick Knight?

Oh not Swan - he's the type to slag off all his former team mates.
    I hope he doesn't get the gig, but that's what Sky are probably looking for.
  • Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He may do bits and pieces for someone like Sky but I'm not sure he'll be a full time commentator like Atherton or Hussain. I think there are likely to be other avenues for him to go down
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First advert for next year's coverage aired today. A packed year ahead.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After a few weeks blessed relief from his aching earnestness and general fusspotery, I presume Nick Knight will soon be flying out for the one day /20-20 stuff?
  • tim456tim456 Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I see Sky are showing the NZ v WI T20s in January. Bit strange they didn't bother with the Test and ODI series but are showing the T20s.
  • BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    tim456 wrote: »
    I see Sky are showing the NZ v WI T20s in January. Bit strange they didn't bother with the Test and ODI series but are showing the T20s.

Does this mean they will show the india series.
  • tim456tim456 Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    Does this mean they will show the india series.
    It's possible I guess because it's a bigger potential audience being India touring.