Do Hospitals Use New Needles Every Time When Doing A Blood Test?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Good God.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they sharpen the needles with a file so they last longer;-)
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    I think they sharpen the needles with a file so they last longer;-)

Only if you are polite though.
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    That's a relief. Those blow torches were damned dangerous!

Our Nurse uses a candle, very modern surgery ours, but when the nurse wiped the needle on her pinny then I got suspicious that they had run out of candles....
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The FBI wrote: »
    The bin is where they are cleaned. There's a bit of cillit bang in the bins, quick swill and ready to reuse

:o:D:D
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Each phlebotomist gets one needle per day - the NHS cuts mean that the same needle has to be used until it goes blunt, gets clogged or goes rusty. Should save a few pence each time and every little helps.

If that happens before the end of the day, the phlebotomist either has to pay for a fresh needle or has to find one they can use by looking in those yellow box things.

:D
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    If that happens before the end of the day, the phlebotomist either has to pay for a fresh needle or has to find one they can use by looking in those yellow box things.

This has the added bonus of meaning your sharps bin doesn't need collecting as much, further saving the NHS money on sharp waste collections.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Each phlebotomist gets one needle per day - the NHS cuts mean that the same needle has to be used until it goes blunt, gets clogged or goes rusty. Should save a few pence each time and every little helps.

Wish we had a phlebotomist at our surgery, I have to have blood tests regularly, and last time the receptionist nipped out from behind her desk and took my blood, would'nt have been so bad really but she was eating fish and chips at the time, hate greasy needles:o:o
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    This has the added bonus of meaning your sharps bin doesn't need collecting as much, further saving the NHS money on sharp waste collections.

Indeed, although not sure it would offset the cost of the rise in hospital acquired infections! ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John146 wrote: »
    last time the receptionist nipped out from behind her desk and took my blood, would'nt have been so bad really but she was eating fish and chips at the time, hate greasy needles:o:o

That's best practice. Helps the needle go in better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's best practice. Helps the needle go in better.

Never thought of that, next time I go I'll buy some fish n chips and take em in with me...:D
    Forum Member
    Wish we had a phlebotomist at our surgery, I have to have blood tests regularly, and last time the receptionist nipped out from behind her desk and took my blood, would'nt have been so bad really but she was eating fish and chips at the time, hate greasy needles:o:o

You're lucky the receptionist did it. My last one was done by the cleaner - she cleaned my arm with bleach though, so no infection likely...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're lucky the receptionist did it. My last one was done by the cleaner - she cleaned my arm with bleach though, so no infection likely...

Bleach!!! luxury, our surgery had run out so she used Vanish...
    Forum Member

Well, at least you wouldn't see the bruise on your arm!
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,789
    Forum Member
    To those that find the question funny and have gone into mocking mode, I would say that it wasn't that long ago that people were catching diseases because blood was not screened. Just 10 years ago we had the outrageousness of Mid Staffordshire too where how many people died while that stupid hospital chased becoming a foundation hospital?

We also have Do Not Resuscitate Notices being put on patients notes without their family members being told and that has been going on for around 15 years at the very least so maybe you should bare that in mind before thinking I was asking a stupid question.
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    To those that find the question funny and have gone into mocking mode, I would say that it wasn't that long ago that people were catching diseases because blood was not screened. Just 10 years ago we had the outrageousness of Mid Staffordshire too where how many people died while that stupid hospital chased becoming a foundation hospital?

We also have Do Not Resuscitate Notices being put on patients notes without their family members being told and that has been going on for around 15 years at the very least so maybe you should bare that in mind before thinking I was asking a stupid question.

This may answer your questions (esp. part 2) - a bit of light reading...

http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2010/9789241599221_eng.pdf?ua=1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Styker wrote: »

You are correct it wasn't long ago that blood wasn't screened. It actually wasn't too long ago that needles actually were reused. However, nowadays we have huge knowledge about bloodbourne pathogens and cross infection control which means that of course needles wouldn't be reused unless somebody was doing something very very wrong (and opening themselves up to some serious suing).

Mid Staffs was horrendous and inexcusable, and yes there are mistakes which do happen and (hopefully) get learned from. But your OP implied that reusing needles might be a common thing which it absolutely wouldn't be. As I said in my first post, if you are paranoid about it then by all means ask to see a new needle being opened. But the reason they tend to prepare them first is because a lot of people prefer not to see the needle as much as possible.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,789
    Forum Member
    You are correct it wasn't long ago that blood wasn't screened. It actually wasn't too long ago that needles actually were reused. However, nowadays we have huge knowledge about bloodbourne pathogens and cross infection control which means that of course needles wouldn't be reused unless somebody was doing something very very wrong (and opening themselves up to some serious suing).

Mid Staffs was horrendous and inexcusable, and yes there are mistakes which do happen and (hopefully) get learned from. But your OP implied that reusing needles might be a common thing which it absolutely wouldn't be. As I said in my first post, if you are paranoid about it then by all means ask to see a new needle being opened. But the reason they tend to prepare them first is because a lot of people prefer not to see the needle as much as possible.

I'll take your word for it that they are new needles but the next time if I get called in really quickly after the last person has just had a blood test then I will ask.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Ha, nice. I can't even remember the last time I changed my lancet poker thingy (that is the official term for it, right?) :D

Haha yes I think so - something like that anyway! :D I can't remember when I last changed mine either, a box of them lasts me literally years! :blush::D
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't even look a the needle but assume it's new one each time
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    The use of the same needle on several patients is probably still prevalent in some countries ie poorer districts of Africa, or at least up to 16 years ago or later. It was probably the same for our armed forces recruits well into the 50's and maybe later.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a good job i know you lot are joking, I have to go for a blood test on thursday and I hate injections, not looking forward to it to be honest.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

Pah. The last nurse who took blood from me had run out of everything so she just spat on her handkerchief and gave the crook of my arm a good vigorous rub with that. Well, it works for cleaning stuff of kids' faces.
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Pah. The last nurse who took blood from me had run out of everything so she just spat on her handkerchief and gave the crook of my arm a good vigorous rub with that. Well, it works for cleaning stuff of kids' faces.

Aaaagh spit wash! You win! Or lose, depending on how you look at it! :o:D
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Our hospital hasn't upgraded from leeches yet.

But at least they take a new one out of its packet every time.