Options

Local DAB Multiplexes That Go A Long Way

Jonathan1990Jonathan1990 Posts: 1,520
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think the multiplex for Leeds on 12D goes quite a long way. You can get it around most parts of North Yorkshire with a good antenna. It's only meant to cover the Leeds and Wakefied areas as well and not the whole of West Yorkshire with Bradford, Kirklees and Calderdale been covered by the Bradford and Huddersfield block on 11B.

Comments

• Options
    moordown66moordown66 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HBB on 10D from Epping Green. That goes a long way.
  • Options
    KnobTwiddlerKnobTwiddler Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the Leeds Mux from Emley Moor with 8.5 kW and the 3 London Mux's from Wrotham with 4.5 - 5.0 kW would all be high up the list, also some of the Scottish Mux's.

There is a DX'er in Clacton-on-Sea who gets the London Mux's continuously even under flat conditions.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moordown66 wrote: »
    HBB on 10D from Epping Green. That goes a long way.

And yet reception on a mobile device of HBB in Stevenage, Hertfordshire's second largest town, is non-existent :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got Epping Green on a Pure Move 2500 in Kent
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moordown66 wrote: »
    I've got Epping Green on a Pure Move 2500 in Kent

How do you know it's Epping Green specifically and not another Tx or a mixture of several ?
  • Options
    OrangyOrangy Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say that multiplex coverage maps 'of old' are very conservative. The Now Digital Arqiva maps for example were mostly produced a while back and in my experience the more recent predictions are more accurate. The Muxco Surrey map for example does seem much more aligned with real world coverage to the far east of the area, right down to a few null spots as predicted.

With a properly fitted external car aerial, mobile reception of DAB usually exceeds predictions. In fact, indoor reception often does too. (Apart from a nice null spot of London II about 2 miles south-east of Reigate!)

My old car had a JVC-HAL2 and Sony DAB unit and the reception was amazing. HBB was usable most of the way along the East Surrey section of the A25. Essex and Reading battle out on 12D. My new car has a Pioneer which is less sensitive, but I still get the above in pockets around East Surrey/Kent/Sussex area. Essex comes in pretty well around the A25 in Tandridge, with Reading just to the south side of the hill.

A 'nice' spot is along the A2 between the M25 and the M2 where it's possible to get a good signal on every used channel: Surrey, HBB, London III, Kent, D1, London II, BBC, London I and Essex.
  • Options
    ChelmsfordDudeChelmsfordDude Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    The Kent up gets out quite far into Essex, can hear it around Southend and the south Essex coast (not surprisingly), round Chelmsford in places, and sometimes in Maldon and the Dengie. It's even better than the shockingly weak Essex mux in most areas!

Other muxes I've seen get out a way include Swansea into Pembrokeshire, South Wales into East Somerset, and Humberside in Scarborough. Also the London muxes can go pretty well into Essex and Cambridge!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Kent up gets out quite far into Essex, can hear it around Southend and the south Essex coast (not surprisingly), round Chelmsford in places, and sometimes in Maldon and the Dengie. It's even better than the shockingly weak Essex mux in most areas!

Other muxes I've seen get out a way include Swansea into Pembrokeshire, South Wales into East Somerset, and Humberside in Scarborough. Also the London muxes can go pretty well into Essex and Cambridge!

Essex is far stronger than Kent (I'm sure we could 'argue' which is the most pitiful - but Now Kent coverage is abysmal for so many reasons) around the north Kent area. Perhaps a TX site in Essex for Kent and vice-versa would be sensible. Bluebell Hill will almost certainly do a good job of getting a signal out to Essex, but will easily be shadowed by hills to the east in Kent.

Hopefully something will start happening with DAB local Mux buildout plans at some point soon.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Leeds multiplex is an easy catch in Retford since Emley Moor was added to the transmitters which broadcast it, even more so that the Nottinghamshire one!

I did get the Peterborough multiplex once in Worksop on a pocket DAB radio when atmospherics were good enough to pick it up years ago. Now that Leeds from Emley Moor is broadcasting, I'd suggest that won't happen again unless you're very lucky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Orangy wrote: »
    Essex is far stronger than Kent (I'm sure we could 'argue' which is the most pitiful - but Now Kent coverage is abysmal for so many reasons) around the north Kent area. Perhaps a TX site in Essex for Kent and vice-versa would be sensible. Bluebell Hill will almost certainly do a good job of getting a signal out to Essex, but will easily be shadowed by hills to the east in Kent.

Hopefully something will start happening with DAB local Mux buildout plans at some point soon.

Looks like most of Essex goes out to Kent and most of Kent goes out to Essex! To be honest Essex isn't too bad, but the north and mid (where I live) suffers a bit. The south is covered above and beyond!
    I did read somewhere that there were plans to transmit NOW Kent from Benfleet near Canvey Island down into Medway which would certainly help.

Also as this is about Local DAB getting out further than it's TSA, is French DAB available along the South Coast?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did read somewhere that there were plans to transmit NOW Kent from Benfleet near Canvey Island down into Medway which would certainly help?

That'd be this: http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/radio/coverage/dab-coverage/annex-b

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/dab-coverage-planning/annex-b/
  • Options
    KnobTwiddlerKnobTwiddler Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's nowt so strange as radio signals.

I can just about hear the Kent Mux here in N London, but it's breaking up which is strange since I can see Bluebell Hill with binoculars from my location.

On the other hand, the Essex Mux romps in here almost full scale on the signal meter.
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wrexham/Chester Multiplex covers parts of Telford and Shropshire better than their local one does.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's nowt so strange as radio signals.

I can just about hear the Kent Mux here in N London, but it's breaking up which is strange since I can see Bluebell Hill with binoculars from my location.

On the other hand, the Essex Mux romps in here almost full scale on the signal meter.

I find that fact quite impressive! I know it's not really that far, but considering London high-rise suburbia, it's pretty good :)

The Essex MUX can be received not too badly here if you play about with the indoor aerial or wire. There is nothing special enough though you can't hear somewhere else (apart from BBC Essex) to go to all the effort!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    I find that fact quite impressive! I know it's not really that far, but considering London high-rise suburbia, it's pretty good :)

The Essex MUX can be received not too badly here if you play about with the indoor aerial or wire. There is nothing special enough though you can't hear somewhere else (apart from BBC Essex) to go to all the effort!

I'll agree. Apart from BBC Essex & Radio Essex, it's just all the same stuff. Picking it up in North London & around Hertfordshire, that'll come in from Rye Hill at Harlow
  • Options
    Hybrid telliesHybrid tellies Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just using a personal DAB radio I picked up the local Cornish MUX whilst on a visit to Portland in Dorset. I would imagine this signal originated from Caradon Hill.
    Back at home, nr Bristol, I am able to receive the Gloucester and Swindon Mux's and sometimes the new Hereford and Worcester Mux from Ridge Hill.
  • Options
    airwavesairwaves Posts: 2,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Ed Vaizey's speech at #radfest2014 just recently the build out of local DAB will start around March next year and be complete by mid-2016: -

"I am pleased to say the major parties have agreed the principles of the local DAB coverage plan. To be clear, following intense negotiations, the funding principles and final price for the building of around 200 new local digital transmitters and the upgrade of around 50 sites have been agreed.

The “moggies” as we have described the multiplex operators collectively are almost there and subject to final agreements which we anticipate will be concluded in the next couple of weeks, the main works are due to start next March finishing mid-2016."

It's so nice to finally have a time scale for the plan considering that news regarding it fell relatively mute in terms of when it was happening.
  • Options
    BollardBollard Posts: 3,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just using a personal DAB radio I picked up the local Cornish MUX whilst on a visit to Portland in Dorset. I would imagine this signal originated from Caradon Hill.
    I have picked up the Cornish MUX here on Portland before during a lift. I have also recently realised I can pick up the Bournemouth MUX here (I suspect from Winterbourne Stickland as my location is blocked to the east) but it does drop out some days so I suspect Cornwall is interfering with it as it is on the same frequency.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    How do you know it's Epping Green specifically and not another Tx or a mixture of several ?

Ok - it could have been Sandy Heath or Northampton but I suspect it was Epping Green. Bob FM was blasting through.
  • Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,894
    Forum Member
    airwaves wrote: »
    According to Ed Vaizey's speech at #radfest2014 just recently the build out of local DAB will start around March next year and be complete by mid-2016: -

"I am pleased to say the major parties have agreed the principles of the local DAB coverage plan. To be clear, following intense negotiations, the funding principles and final price for the building of around 200 new local digital transmitters and the upgrade of around 50 sites have been agreed.

The “moggies” as we have described the multiplex operators collectively are almost there and subject to final agreements which we anticipate will be concluded in the next couple of weeks, the main works are due to start next March finishing mid-2016."

It's so nice to finally have a time scale for the plan considering that news regarding it fell relatively mute in terms of when it was happening.
    Hi,

Can you point me to any articles about this please? Is there a timetable yet?
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    South Yorkshire is strong in Dewsbury, used to be stronger than Leeds, and is stronger than Bradford/Huddersfield in parts. This was the case before the Barnsley coverage boost.
  • Options
    philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,178
    Forum Member
    Other muxes I've seen get out a way include Swansea into Pembrokeshire

Well they do use the Carmel mast (near Cross Hands)

The Carmel site is also higher than Kilvey Hill (looking at this http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/radiolicensing/mcamaps/dl000039.pdf )
  • Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get the NE Wales mux as far as Sandbatch on the M6 but it is in little "pockets" of signal - so it comes and goes. Even though it is for NE Wales & Cheshire it does not cover the whole of Cheshire

Also, on the A44 in Worcester you can get (as well as Hereford & Worcester, D1 and BBC National):

Gloucester
    South Wales
    Coventry & Warwiskshire
    Birmingham
    Wolverhampton
    Oxford
    Bristol

Gloucester is perfect signal, the others are partial signal.

Coventry & Warwickshire and Oxford are received in "pockets" every few yards alternating

Bristol can only be received on first floor of buildings in the area
    South Wales can only be received on the south side of buildings along that way looking towards the Malverns. While driving you probably won't get South Wales or Bristol.
  • Options
    airwavesairwaves Posts: 2,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Can you point me to any articles about this please? Is there a timetable yet?

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/10/ed-vaizeys-full-speech-to-radfest2014/

The speech is all available here. There doesn't appear to be any news regarding a timetable or where the roll out of coverage improvements will begin though.