Options

Marco's Kitchen Wars

Comments

• Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    They have a very loose definition of the phrase "couple". It just seems to mean "two people who work together"

Yes I'm pleased that it just means chef and front of house.... Lot less contrived and more central to a great restaurant
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Is this going to the resaurants bit,,,so Marco can have a free lunch,,,,bloody sponger:D
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Great PR for all their restaurants.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Macro going around getting free dinners.
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have a very loose definition of the phrase "couple". It just seems to mean "two people who work together"
    Well two people are a couple. I don't think they ever meant husband and wife teams, just two people who run their restaurants together.

I don't really like the way he's saying these quite revered chefs and restaurants aren't good enough. Clearly that meal he just had wasn't going to taste anything like "a dog's dinner".

What exactly is the prize on this show?
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, most people will never taste a decent paella in Spain, either............
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    Brilliant Show .... and it has a contemporary feel about it ...much better than his ITV show ... What a great surprise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good show.. I like it. Very honest.. doesn't seem predictable like other shows.. I like the format so far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worth another look next week I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    To be fair, most people will never taste a decent paella in Spain, either............

Easy to find good paella in Spain. Just stay away from any restaurant that has a menu in English.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Yeah I quite liked it. I dont normally like cooking shows but this one was good enough to make me watch next week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I'm pleased that it just means chef and front of house.... Lot less contrived and more central to a great restaurant

Fine by me, but it does mean that going on about looking for a couple is utter rubbish!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prize is a trophy: http://about.channel5.com/marco-pierre-white-kitchen-wars-rules

Not worth getting excited about.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prize is a trophy: http://about.channel5.com/marco-pierre-white-kitchen-wars-rules

Not worth getting excited about.

Apart from the free publicity for your restaurant.
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Apart from the free publicity for your restaurant.

Best prize you could wish for, especially with Marco's name attached to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And from the same page, a couple can be friends, siblings, husabnd and wife, son and father, etc.

Fair enough, it makes sense, but I am a bit confused about them making so much about a couple rather than a pair.
  • Options
    soapdoctorsoapdoctor Posts: 3,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't decided my opinion on this show, I'll watch again next week:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn, missed it. I do find Marco incredibly sexy!:o
  • Options
    amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,849
    Forum Member
    Disappointed - the knife holding is a tired format. Yeah, we get he wants to appear dangerous (yawn). He can do better than that surely? Will his agent not let him lose the knife?

I, too, think he's remarkably sexy but lose the dyed hair - doesn't look right with grey eyebrows.

The format wasn't exactly rivetting - hope it picks up when they get to London. He seems to be tired of it all - like only going out on half his cylinders. Just in it for the money Marco? To be fair, he didn't look like he wanted to do Hell's Kitchens either. He surely can't need the money can he?
  • Options
    OnDatKryptoniteOnDatKryptonite Posts: 1,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amyawake wrote: »
    Disappointed - the knife holding is a tired format. Yeah, we get he wants to appear dangerous (yawn). He can do better than that surely? Will his agent not let him lose the knife?

I, too, think he's remarkably sexy but lose the dyed hair - doesn't look right with grey eyebrows.

The format wasn't exactly rivetting - hope it picks up when they get to London. He seems to be tired of it all - like only going out on half his cylinders. Just in it for the money Marco? To be fair, he didn't look like he wanted to do Hell's Kitchens either. He surely can't need the money can he?
    Maybe it's like Frank Skinner, he's had to come back to the fore because his investments and savings were compromised by the bank collapse. MPW might be in that same boat.

He's been tired of it all for years, he retired with his 3 Michelin stars while on top and his recent appearance on Anthony Bourdain's The Layover confirmed he dislikes th move away from classic fine dining to overcomplicated food and flavours for the sake of having them. That was clear in his disdain for the idea of Modern British; he'd much rather have really well sourced fish with a light batter and crispy chunky chips with some tartare sauce, salt and vinegar than something using the same ingredients on a plate that looks like a modern art masterpiece with small portions prepped in a strange way. The irritation in his voice that they took so long to cook steak and chips because they were trying to include radish hollandaise that was unnecessary was palpable.
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    I have just watched it and it was ok, certainly worth another look.

What was quite interesting is it was actually a Channel 5 Production, I have never known Channel 5 to actually produce an in house programme.
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it and Marco seems to have toned down a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mersey70 wrote: »
    What was quite interesting is it was actually a Channel 5 Production, I have never known Channel 5 to actually produce an in house programme.

Think I read this show is one of their first projects.
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is a chef brandishing a large knife on TV? I find that dreadful. Not something I want to watch.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's anything groundbreaking.
    It's an amalgamation of The Restaurant a little bit of Service (although we didn't see much of how useful and important it is) and Ramsay's Best Restaurant, plus several ITV shows that have done similar.