Options

What do you call your Grandparents?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my nan passed away in 2004 but my Grandad is still alive... to put it into perspective my nan would have killed us if we called her grandma... she hated the word... lol
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Granny and Granda.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mums side: Gran and Papa, both gone
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only ever met my paternal grandmother, and I can count on one hand how many times that was. I called her 'Nanna'; she died when I was 12.

My maternal grandparents died the year before I was born, and my paternal grandfather has been missing since I was 6 months old, but must be dead now.

I've always missed not having grandparents. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    2 of my Grandparents died before I was born :(

My Granny died in 2008, she refused to be called anything else than Granny

My Granda is still alive
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Nanan and Grandad, followed by whichever surname they were.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea - and I'd have to shout.

The last one died over 20 years ago.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All my gandparents are dead but they were Nan and Grandad when they were alive!
  • Options
    TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always used Nan and Grandad.

For some strange reason I detest how my American nephews and nieces use Grandma and Grandpa - it sounds so wrong to me.
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Skeleton One and Skeleton Two.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nonna.

Its the Italian way of saying "Grandma" and both of my Nonno's have passed away, howeve rboth of my Nonna's are alive and one of them is pushing 88 now :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    'Baba' (babushka) for my grandmothers, and 'dyid' (dedushka) for my grandfathers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    Nanan and Grandad, followed by whichever surname they were.

I wonder if Nanan is a South Yorkshire thing as I see you are Sheffield, my boyfriend's Nanan is well, Nanan, and he's from Barnsley. I'd never heard the word before I met him.

My grandparents when they were alive were-
    Grandma "My surname", Grandad "My surname", and my other side were Ma (because my sister when little couldn't say Grandma) and just Grandad.
  • Options
    chinchillachinchilla Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All passed away now but on my mum's side it was nan and grandad and my half brothers were nan and gramp - I never knew my dad's parents
  • Options
    Richieboy87Richieboy87 Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nuthing coz they are in heaven :D
  • Options
    indywindyw Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    Speedy and Bamps.
    My Nan was slow at walking so I called her Speedy :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    Nana and Papa (plus surname)

I used to think I was really cool because I had three sets of grandparents:o (my dad's parents both remarried)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My paternal grandparents are both alive, they're granny and granddad. I think if I'd known mum's mum I would've called her just gran. I wouldn't have called mum's dad anything 'cause he was a shocking character and even if he hadn't died before I came into being, I would've prolly been kept well away from him, 'cause of hate.

I've always liked the pairing of 'nan and granddad' and if I ever have grandkids I hope to be a nan, preferably paired with a granddad. I'm looking forward to such things tbh. I want to be old, and be nan, and have a bus-pass and make young people cringe. :D Not right away, though...stuff to do! It'll be good though. I want to get awfully awfully old. As long as I'm lucky enough to be healthy and aware. Granny and granddad aren't doing too bad, apart from the cancer but they're dealing with that admirably, both of them. They're definitely aware. Gran and mum's dad both died of ****. Mibbes I'll be alright.
  • Options
    80's chick80's chick Posts: 5,207
    Forum Member
    nanny and grandad.,

I miss them both everyday:(
  • Options
    PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Sadly missed, or dearly departed.
  • Options
    †¤AzumiMiyako¤††¤AzumiMiyako¤† Posts: 3,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggy145 wrote: »
    Nanny and Grandad
    Nan and Grandad. My nan, despite the fact that she is 78, would be mortified if I called her granny. :)

Same here! My nan has always said that she preferred us to call her nan cos gran meant she was an old lady :p

On my dad's side, my nan would have been called Nanny *my surname* and we called grandad "Old Grandad" even though he was younger than my other grandad :p