The Hobbit....so Excited

Comments

• GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to see it last night! Loved it.

Re: the frame rate, we saw it in 2D HD (Epsom Odeon) and the only time I noticed any blurryness was when the camera panned across the landscape (this happened once) and the CGI looked slightly off from a distance. After a little while, I didn't notice anything, it was fine. I get motion sick easily cos of my inner ear problems but I felt fine.

I was very impressed with Gollum's CGI! I thought it was really good.

Also loved seeing Aidan Turner in his first movie :)

2D is in 28fps anyway,so there would be blur there
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw it today (in 2D, I think 3D has a negative effect). I was really impressed, and enjoyed it more than I thought I would, judging by general impressions from critics.

At no point did I think that the film was dragging, I didn't look at my watch once, and it certainly didn't feel like a 3hr film to me. I thought that it was very entertaining throughout, with doses of light humour to keep it ticking and great action pieces.

I was concerned about spreading the book (which I can barely remember reading) across 3 movies - but if the other two are anything like the first one, then I have no issues.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it today (2D) and enjoyed it. I'm certainly not a Tolkien purist in any sense, but I thought it was well paced and I certainly didn't find myself getting bored at all.

I'm hopefully going to blag a free cinema voucher soon so with any luck, i can use that and try and get to see it in HFR 3D as i'm quite curious to see how it looks, but I didn't want to pay the extra today ..
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am suprised they haven't release a HFR 2D version, it would have exposed a lot more people to the format.
  • †¤AzumiMiyako¤††¤AzumiMiyako¤† Posts: 3,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2D is in 28fps anyway,so there would be blur there

Oh I see... I have no idea really :D

Plus the screen is a digital one rather than a traditional projector so maybe that contributed to it?
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure films always used to be clear, blur-free and have enough depth to make 3D unnecessary, at 24fps.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Also loved seeing Aidan Turner in his first movie :)

Me, too. :)

Nice to see him laugh once or twice - something he didn't do as Mitchell the vampire. :D
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nice to see him laugh once or twice - something he didn't do as Mitchell the vampire. :D

Saw him in PJ's last vlog, the one that showed the premiere in NZ... He has a stunning smile when he is just being himself!
  • †¤AzumiMiyako¤††¤AzumiMiyako¤† Posts: 3,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hogzilla wrote: »
    Saw him in PJ's last vlog, the one that showed the premiere in NZ... He has a stunning smile when he is just being himself!

I actually saw a lot of Aidan in Kili which is nice actually. I even saw a hint of Mitchell at one point too.
  • mwardymwardy Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the HFR version different to the IMAX version?!

Depends which IMAX, but it probably was different in your case. According to this list there are only 4 IMAXes showing HFR 3D in the country(!)--Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield, London Swiss Cottage.

For anyone intending to go to one of these, it remains framed at 2.35:1 so choose your seats accordingly.
    James2001 wrote: »
    I am suprised they haven't release a HFR 2D version, it would have exposed a lot more people to the format.
    Yes, I would have preferred that myself. Seems a strange decision not to have *any*.
  • Hitchhiker553Hitchhiker553 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went yesterday and really enjoyed it. Saw it in 2D, loved the dwarves and Bilbo at his house and some of the back story of the dwarves. There were a few epic moments where I got a little emotional.

Found some of the action a bit meh along with older Bilbo at the beginning, but those are small nit picks.

Going to see it again in January in 3D 48 fps when the schools go back after christmas.

9/10.
  • JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    Unreal wrote: »
    Not long back from watching it in 48fps.

Good film.

3D in 48fps is how 3D should be! None of the blurriness that is normal in normal 3D, crystal clear 3D. I saw a reviewer mention its almost like a pantomime/play because the characters are so clear and almost in the room - I agree!

BIB - I do agree with this too. Saw it last night in HFR 3D, having viewed it in 2D initially. At several points, I felt I was on the quest with them, but I didn't notice any dodgy makeup, although I found there was the feeling of watching them on stage at times. I really loved the experience despite having a bit of a headache at a couple of points in the film. I have a lazy eye, so don't know if that contributed to the headache. I'm one of those who couldn't see 3D when we used to have the old red and blue glasses. :o:D
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coming soon : "The Hobbit II : An Unexpected Item In The Baggins Area"

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Saw it the other night in IMAX 3d (although probably this liemax everyone talks about)
    Must say i throughly enjoyed it, the 3D was pretty good, lots of motion blur though in the wider fast moving scenes.
    I will be trying it in HFR 3D just to see the differance (shame there isnt a proper IMAX 3D near me to see it in all its glory.

For anyone who likes this stuff, go see it, I saw it with a couple of sceptics and they were converted, and loved it.

Can't wait for number 2 now....only 12months to go lol.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it last night. Was pretty good.

One thing I will say though - I probably wont go to a VUE cinema to see the next one..........30 minutes of adverts and trailers.....I mean really?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just randomly thinking, we'll likely get another scene with old Bilbo at the start of the second one - maybe later in the day of the party. So they could well crowbar Sam/Merry/Pippin/Frodo (or any combination of those) back in to deliver the inevitable "So, what happened after that?" line ..
  • MotherTeresaMotherTeresa Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian McKellen's said that the extended cut is already finished, so I'm probably going to wait for the home release instead; wouldn't want to miss anything the first time round. If the Star Trek preview was showing at my local Imax then I'd reconsider, but being where I am I have to settle for second-hand reviews of that footage and maybe a glimpse at any any online leaks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    On the subject of the Star Trek Trailer...

I saw this 9 minute version obviously just before the 3D HFR viewing.

One thing that I became aware of having seen The Hobbit was the difference in the quality of the 3D on the ST Trailer; if that was going to be the final 3D result, then I think I'll give it a miss. It was ghosty, blurry, disorientating.

Compared The Hobbit, and the 3D was amazing! So fluid, and clear, no hint of blur or stutter. Clearly a huge benefit of using 48fps. :)

Frankly if they want 3D movies to really accepted, then using it with 48fps, is the way to go.

But Star Trek Into Darkness 3D is going to be messy :(
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Just randomly thinking, we'll likely get another scene with old Bilbo at the start of the second one - maybe later in the day of the party. So they could well crowbar Sam/Merry/Pippin/Frodo (or any combination of those) back in to deliver the inevitable "So, what happened after that?" line ..

I was thinking that too. Although I thought Frodo definitely sounds older (slightly deeper voice) but he still looks very young :confused:
  • SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    Saw it last night. Was pretty good.

One thing I will say though - I probably wont go to a VUE cinema to see the next one..........30 minutes of adverts and trailers.....I mean really?

I saw it an Odeon and also had 30 minutes of adverts and trailers.

As for the film, I thought it was great. The opening scenes at Bag end dragged a little bit for me and could probably have done with 1 less dwarf song. That aside, I thought the rest of the movie ran at a brisk pace and the goblin cave section I thought was epic. I never got bored and had some laughs too.

I saw it in the HFR 3d and it seemed a bit like the keystone cops at first with all the movement being too fast but it soon settled down. So I don't know if I just got used to it or if it was an actual problem with the film at the beginning. I didn't notice any problem with wigs, makeup or sets that I've been reading about, but I didn't really notice much of a detail improvement over a normal movie. Yeah, it was a bit smoother and probably less blurred at the fast moving stuff, but I still had trouble seeing what was going on in the fight scenes and the like, possibly because the camera seemed to be moving faster too.

So, to sum up, a cracking, highly recommended film but I'm still not sold on the 48fps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    The hobbit is a relatively small book granted

BUT

Events wise a LOT of things happen

MAJOR events are skimmed over or eluded to

A LOT isnt explained or talked about

SO MUCH is happening in Middle earth at this time. So much is not visited in the book

HOW MANY of you would have complained if this had been 1 film. HOW MANY would have screamed that its a disgrace how rushed the entire thing was

TRY THIS if your so upset over the films

write down all the key events in the book

write down all the characters

NOW try and make all those events and all those characters translate to 1 even two films!

ITS JUST NOT GONNA WORK!

AS AN AUDIENCE we want things explained, we want to see were characters go, we dont major battles and confrontations over in a blink!

WHILE THE HOBBIT IS A SMALL BOOK, the events ARE MASSIVE IN SCALE!

EVENTS THAT CANT SIMPLY BE SKIMMED OVER

PETER IS GIVING THE FANS 3 FILMS, three more epic visits to his middle earth! Hes showing us what the book deprives us of!
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,916
    Forum Member
    I think you might have a problem with a sticky Caps Lock key. Might want to have it looked at.
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone tell me in the fight scene with the trolls, one of the trolls said something straight out of a brit film, can anyone remember what?
  • ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are all 3d viewings HFR?
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zaphodski wrote: »
    Are all 3d viewings HFR?

No only where the screen has been upgraded to allow for HFR screenings

this is a list of all cinemas that are showing it in HFR 3D
    Acton: Vue
    Bath: ODEON Bath
    Belfast: ODEON Belfast
    Birmingham: ODEON Birmingham Broadway Plaza
    Blackpool: ODEON Blackpool
    Bluewater: Showcase Cinema Bluewater
    Bolton: Vue
    Bournemouth: ODEON Bournemouth
    Braehead: ODEON Braehead
    Brighton: ODEON Brighton
    Bristol: Showcase Cinema de Lux Bristol
    Bristol: Vue Bristol Cribbs Causeway
    Bury: Vue
    Camberley: Vue
    Cardiff: ODEON Cardiff
    Chelmsford: ODEON Chelmsford
    Derby: Showcase Cinema de Lux Derby
    Derby: Showcase Cinema Derby Foresters Park
    Dublin: Vue
    Dudley: Showcase Cinema Dudley
    Dundee: ODEON Dundee (Douglas Field)
    Dunfermline: ODEON Dunfermline
    Edinburgh Omni: Vue
    Exeter: Vue Exeter
    Glasgow: ODEON Glasgow Quay
    Glasgow: Showcase Cinema Glasgow
    Greenwich: ODEON Greenwich
    Guilford: ODEON Guilford
    Finchley North: Vue
    Finchley Road: Vue
    Fulham: Vue
    Halifax: Vue
    Harrow: Vue
    Hatfield: ODEON Hatfield
    Huddersfield: ODEON Huddersfield
    Hull: Vue
    Islington: Vue
    Kensington: ODEON Kensington
    Hatfield: ODEON Hatfield
    Huddersfield: ODEON Huddersfield
    Kensington: ODEON Kensington
    Kettering: ODEON Kettering
    Kingston: ODEON Kingston
    Leeds Kirkstall: Vue
    Leeds: Showcase Cinema Leeds
    Leicester: Showcase Cinema de Lux Leicester
    Lincoln: ODEON Lincoln
    Liverpool: ODEON Liverpool ONE
    Livingston: Vue
    London: ODEON Marble Arch
    London: ODEON Leicester Square (co-hosting the UK premiere)
    London: ODEON Surrey Quays
    London: ODEON Swiss Cottage (IMAX)
    London: Empire Leicester Square (co-hosting the UK premiere)
    London: The Lounge at ODEON Whiteleys
    London: Westfield London
    Manchester: ODEON Manchester IMAX @ The Printworks
    Manchester: ODEON Trafford Centre
    Metrocentre: ODEON Metrocentre
    Newcastle East: ODEON Newcastle East
    Newcastle-under-Lyme: Vue
    Norwich: ODEON Norwich
    Nottingham: Cineworld IMAX Nottingham
    Nottingham: Showcase Cinema Nottingham
    Norwich: Vue
    Oxford: Vue