Options

Men - were you an early, normal or late developer?

rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was late, one of the latest in my year at school. I was one of the youngest, but I don't think that decides it, there were kids 2 years below me with full beards (mostly Greek and Pakistani to be fair) when I still had a squeaky voice and not much hair anywhere

PE was a bit embarrassing, but on the upside girls still thought I was 'cute' when everybody else was going through that awkward gangly spotty phase so I cleaned up. Downside was I could only go so far with them

What were you and how did it affect your teens?

Comments

• Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not really sure, one year it was all frogspawn collecting and Airfix kits, the next year was chicks and rock and roll.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I was quite early. I started growing bodily hairs around 11 and my voice was breaking at 12.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't really remember. The only thing I do recall about it all was having my first shave at 13. It didn't affect me at all, didn't really think about it, or if I did I've forgotten!

Edit: Puberty affected me, obviously. I mean the age at which it happened didn't seem to have any specific consequences.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I didn't develop breasts until I hit my thirties... :D
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it was only an issue if you were behind everyone else

Seems unimportant now, it happens around the same age for everyone, but I was always aware and so was everybody else
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was brought up by dogs so my recollection of adolescence is somewhat fuzzy.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Still waiting!

No...I don't remember to be honest. It wasn't that big a deal.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    I didn't develop breasts until I hit my thirties... :D

Hahaha! :D
  • Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    I can't really remember. The only thing I do recall about it all was having my first shave at 13. It didn't affect me at all, didn't really think about it, or if I did I've forgotten!

I never had to shave everyday until I was about 25...! I must have been 19 when I first had to shave.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Late. For instance had x-ray tests done at hospital which showed my bone age to be 13.1 years, when my actual age was 16 years 9 months. Other hormone level tests and my general appearance were also consistent with early puberty.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got my first pube on a Tuesday
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I have a baby face which didn't help and couldn't grow a beard...was always called "cute" by girls, but in a bad way, not in a sexy way

But I'm starting to look more manly and also starting trying to build some muscle, and also this helps my confidence, so hopefully I will get a girlfriend soon
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    I was quite early. I started growing bodily hairs around 11 and my voice was breaking at 12.

Me too! I had to start shaving my top lip at about 12, and gradually more and more each year, until I was shaving my whole face by about 15/16, I've also been the same height I am now (6ft1) since about 13. I hated it at the time. Felt self conscious enough at that age without towering above everyone else.

Weirdly, now at 32, I look younger than my age!
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James J L wrote: »
    Me too! I had to start shaving my top lip at about 12, and gradually more and more each year, until I was shaving my whole face by about 15/16, I've also been the same height I am now (6ft1) since about 13. I hated it at the time. Felt self conscious enough at that age without towering above everyone else.

Weirdly, now at 32, I look younger than my age!

by your assumption or by others
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    by your assumption or by others

By others.... People always seem shocked when I tell them my age. I'm not saying I still look like a teen, but I could pass for early to mid 20's no prob. (when i've had a shave...... unshaven, I look much closer to my age). I also still get id'd at the off licence, which gets on my nerves, as I don't have a driving licence, so have to remember to grab my passport!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

^^ This!

Height wise I was still about average (5 foot something) but me balls dropped as did me voice and I started getting hair on my face and elsewhere around 11/12. I used to shave a lot when I was in school when I didn't it was noticeable. I never had that spotty face phase either (unlike my brother....) unlike a load of kids in my year. I remember when my chest (no not breats) and shoulders started developing - I was getting changed for PE once and another lad asked if I had been working out cause by shoulders and chest looked toned :blush::o

What's worrying is I'm now 23 and I'm still growing. I've just gone over six foot.