Anger as Salmond plays apartheid card.

Comments

• Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I`m sensing a lot of English terror that the Scots might actually leave.

Why is that?
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Dub2 wrote: »
    I`m sensing a lot of English terror that the Scots might actually leave.

Why is that?

We love them & don't want them to go :cry:
  • Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread reminds me of a white South African hippy who told me about his one and only meeting with Martin McGuinness, the current Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland and dinner guest of Her Majesty.

Said hippy had been wandering around Europe for a year or two in the early 70s, and saw the Bloody Sunday Massacre on the news somewhere. He hightailed it to Derry, (as you do if you're a hippy idealist looking for a cause), and attempted to insinuate himself into the civil rights campaign. On one of his various enconters on the Bogside he met McGuinness, who scornfully told him to "f*ck off back to your own country and worry about the blacks."
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    This thread reminds me of a white South African hippy who told me about his one and only meeting with Martin McGuinness, the current Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland and dinner guest of Her Majesty.

Said hippy had been wandering around Europe for a year or two in the early 70s, and saw the Bloody Sunday Massacre on the news somewhere. He hightailed it to Derry, (as you do if you're a hippy idealist looking for a cause), and attempted to insinuate himself into the civil rights campaign. On one of his various enconters on the Bogside he met McGuinness, who scornfully told him to "f*ck off back to your own country and worry about the blacks."

kinda ironic example from someone who is irish and has been posting in this forum for months encouraging scots on how to vote ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    kinda ironic example from someone who is irish and has been posting in this forum for months encouraging scots on how to vote ...

Sorry its late here and I'm tired.
    I don't understand this at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Kind of ironic that an English poster wouldn`t be aware that the Scots and the Irish are essentially the same people...
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kind of ironic that an English poster wouldn`t be aware that the Scots and the Irish are essentially the same people...

Let's hope they don't start with the bombs if the vote isn't yes then.
    Forum Member

and who are you saying is English ?

I was born in Dunfermline , move to Edinburgh when I was 18 and that's been my permanent home since , with a couple of brief work related stays in England.

another making an assumption that anyone who is against independence cant be Scottish ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Let's be thankful they're not American then, or they might use the nuclear bombs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Let`s not bring the bombing of hundreds of thousands of children, women, and refugees in the British bombing of Dresden into this just yet.

The Irish, like the Scots, are peaceful people, respected as such throughout the world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and who are you saying is English ?

I was born in Dunfermline , move to Edinburgh when I was 18 and that's been my permanent home since , with a couple of brief work related stays in England.

Yet you think an Irishman should have no view on the independence of his Scottish brother?
  • mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If only you had been around in time to tell those pesky Ulster Scots that they are really the same people as the Irish after all and there was no need for the partition of Ireland at all. How could they have gotten it so wrong?

It's mystifying.....
    Forum Member
    Yet you think an Irishman should have no view on the independence of his Scottish brother?

i have no problem with people having a view

having a fairly biased view and encouraging scots to vote YES based on their own negative attitude towards the English rather than the actual benefits or risks of what it will mean for Scotland is what i have a problem with
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mindset wrote: »
    If only you had been around in time to tell those pesky Ulster Scots that they are really the same people as the Irish after all and there was no need for the partition of Ireland at all. How could they have gotten it so wrong?

It's mystifying.....

The Ulster Scots altered their religion..slightly, by Royal decree. That is literally the only difference between them and the hated Irish who they chose to live amongst.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Let`s not bring the bombing of hundreds of thousands of children, women, and refugees in the British bombing of Dresden into this just yet.

The Irish, like the Scots, are peaceful people, respected as such throughout the world.

Best you don't otherwise you'd have to include Australian, NZ, Canadian, Scottish, Irish, S.African and the many other nationals who flew with bomber command.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Having read it a few times, I think I get it. You're trying to compare me, posting on an internet forum, to a South African plonking himself in Derry in 1972 and offering his services to all comers including Martin McGuinness.

You cannot be serious? :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have no problem with people having a view

having a fairly biased view and encouraging scots to vote YES based on their own negative attitude towards the English rather than the actual benefits or risks of what it will mean for Scotland is what i have a problem with

I would imagine Irish people would advise the Scots to vote for independence based on the fact that they would be far better off, rather than hatred of the English.

A poorly paid office job in Dublin is thirty thousand Euro. Two years in the job can add another ten thousand to that wage. How does that compare to the Scottish capital?

And we don`t have a single barrel of oil...
  • astorastor Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Under Soul wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if he compares the English to ISIS next.

And why on earth do you think he would do that.

Jeez - haven't you got it yet - this is a referendum about what we in Scotland feel is the best for the future of Scotland and the people who chose to live here. It is not an anti English vote!
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »
    It is so insulting to even compare the referendum in Scotland to what black people went through in apartheid South Africa.
    Surely Salmond can't think that there is any comparison can he ?

Of course he doesn't. He just thinks it's a good sound bite
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geemonkee wrote: »
    Did I say that?
    I'm asking for these supposed anti-English comments and fine well you know it.

Then go look them up .
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member

How self righteous, many Irish republicans supported the Nazis during WW2, you know those Nazis who were peace loving and keen on civil rights and were respected as such throughout the world.
    Lets not bring that into the debate just yet.
    Many more honourable Irish people joined the British armed forces to support the allied cause to take the fight to Nazi Germany.
    Isn't it funny how history isn't quite as simple and one dimensional as you are making out.
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    Does this mean he thinks he's Scotland's answer to Nelson Mandela? :confused:

The bloke's off his trolley.

He probably thinks he is more like Moses, leading his people out of the wilderness and into the promised land.
  • momma11momma11 Posts: 3,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh come off it. The implication in his comments was obvious.

Only if that's what you want to find.
    I took it to be about the length of the queues.

I'm not racist either .
    Forum Member
    momma11 wrote: »
    Only if that's what you want to find.
    I took it to be about the length of the queues.

I'm not racist either .

I am glad you're not racist.
    It was Salmond who directly related the queues to those seen after the fall of apartheid.
    He didn't have to, did he ?
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Does this mean he thinks he's Scotland's answer to Nelson Mandela? :confused:
    Perhaps he should be jailed for 25 years :D