Done deal that No will win?

Comments

• leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going by Oddschecker and regaining leads in polls, is it right to say that No have reached the done deal stage of victory?
    I will stick my neck on the line and say that it has been a no vote for independence from day one despite the yes blip a few days ago. I dont believe that scotland have the nerve to vote yes because that would leave them in unchartered water. One thing is for sure though things have got to change for ALL the nations that make up the UK.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack1 wrote: »
    The actual chances of Yes winning have always been slim, there hasn't been much doubt in the result for a while.

I was actually getting a little worried a couple of days ago but it looks like the people of Scotland are starting to have an outbreak of common sense and will say "No Thanks".
  • leddersledders Posts: 2,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really do hope it is a no vote. I think it would be good for the UK as a whole, and it would be a disaster if it had gone Yes.

It simply hasn't been thought through. The Yes campaign still haven't answered the question regarding the currency issue. Why is that? I suspect they don't know the answer.

Even if it is a no vote, which I really hope it is, things will never be the same again anyway, and there will be more devolution, which can only be a good thing.

One interesting point though:- What would the result have been if everybody in the UK had been given the opportunity to vote? After all, the result, either way, will impact on every one of us, not just the people living in Scotland.
  • DontgimmeevalsDontgimmeevals Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Do you think a country which once ruled over three quarters of the world would just stand by and watch 5.5 million people 'democratically' choose to leave. You have got to be kidding me.

The establishment will do EVERYTHING to maintain the union, including getting the Queen to unequivocally come out against independence if need be.

As things stand, they don't need to go to such desperate lenghts but be under no illusion that they can and would throw the kitchen sink to keep the union going.
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    No vote back in the lead according to YouGov, they're down in one age group at thats the 25-39 year olds, but No ahead in every other age group.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    What planet are you on.

Earth, why? :confused:
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's far closer than it should be, but at the moment my best guess - and it can be no more than a guess - is that No will just edge it. The decisive factor will be, well, the economy, stupid! Not that an independent Scotland would necessarily sink, but the uncertainty of the economic unknown will probably trump the passion of the flames of freedom.

But I don't claim to be certain of this. It should be an exciting week.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Yes - it must be so nice to be such a superior snob looking down on ordinary working people. Are nearly half of Scots angry old men - that sounds more like the bankers trying to scare people.

No is in fact most strongly supported by the elderly and snobs in Edinburgh and the borders. If you could sum up a typical No voter it would be a Scottish Hyacinth Bucket.

No will probably win because people are more easily scared than they used to be. I just hope they remember FDRs famous words - you have nothing to fear but fear itself. There is more to life than money and being home to two of the worlds most technically insolvent banks.

That's all very nice, but in reality, it is the economy that decides every important decision - and a 50,60,70 year old who is concerned about their pension and life savings in retirement will be thinking about that - and the economic uncertainty a yes vote will create when they go in to the polling booth.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    No vote back in the lead according to YouGov, they're down in one age group at thats the 25-39 year olds, but No ahead in every other age group.

Its a 4 per cent lead 52% to 48% - but the gap is within the margin of error.

That's still very close.

Apparently women are the cause of the move since the weekend as support for yes is down 5% with them - men it seems aren't buying the scare tactics cos maybe they don't believe everything bankers and supermarket bosses tell them.

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/09/11/the-scare-tactics-seem-to-be-working-yougov-now-have-no-with-4-lead/
  • Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's a no it will be the removal of Waitrose free coffee that was the dealbreaker... :(
    Forum Member
    JimothyD wrote: »
    That's all very nice, but in reality, it is the economy that decides every important decision - and a 50,60,70 year old who is concerned about their pension and life savings in retirement will be thinking about that - and the economic uncertainty a yes vote will create when they go in to the polling booth.

Who says you will be better off in bankrupt Britain anyway with its £2 trillion of debt, growing benefits bill, population growth placing huge pressure on services, being reliant on banking/finance, overly leveraged on house prices and with limited natural resources (outside Scotland).

Any sensible person would want out - hence why so many Brits are emigrating!
    Forum Member
    Under Soul wrote: »
    If it's a no it will be the removal of Waitrose free coffee that was the dealbreaker... :(

I hope you realise that thread was a joke by me - highlighting how ridiculous the scare tactics were becoming.:D It was designed to encourage people to suggest other potential nonsense scare tactics e.g. Scots would be charged to breathe if they voted yes.

Waitrose's coffee isn't very nice anyway!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No will probably win because people are more easily scared than they used to be. I just hope they remember FDRs famous words - you have nothing to fear but fear itself. There is more to life than money and being home to two of the worlds most technically insolvent banks.

I agree there's more to life than money and I believe that Scottish could do ok on their own (although they would have to give up some of their laughable ideas like free tuition fees and NHS care for life) but the reason I don't want them to break off is because of friendship and unity. Everyone seems so tribal and divided nowadays. I don't think Scotland will be the united paradise as divisions will come up in a separate Scotland - politically and Glasgow vs the rest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you realise that thread was a joke by me - highlighting how ridiculous the scare tactics were becoming.:D It was designed to encourage people to suggest other potential nonsense scare tactics e.g. Scots would be charged to breathe if they voted yes.

Waitrose's coffee isn't very nice anyway!

I do - although I know several people who talk about it non stop. It's just the latest fad - you've really made it if you've got a Waitrose card.
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont know about done deal but I think when it comes to the crunch the undecideds will err on the side of caution. The whole frantic "debate" is getting pretty shabby right now especially from the pro union side - sooner its over the better.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,514
    Forum Member
    Don't know how many of the posters on this thread are actually living in Scotland but the vibe for Yes is overwhelming Have been in Glasgow, Stirling, Dundee and various other towns in the last three weeks and I just feel that the polls have this one wrong
  • DontgimmeevalsDontgimmeevals Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Don't know how many of the posters on this thread are actually living in Scotland but the vibe for Yes is overwhelming Have been in Glasgow, Stirling, Dundee and various other towns in the last three weeks and I just feel that the polls have this one wrong

The vibe for yes is unspurisingly more tangible as it is a vote for (disastrous) change. People like and get excited by change. Why would you get excited over a No vote which just means things stay the same as the last 300 years?

I am sure the silent majority will come out on the day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »

Everybody kept quiet and didn't admit to buying Grange Hill cast singing "Just Say No", but it still got to No.5 in the charts.
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everybody kept quiet and didn't admit to buying Grange Hill cast singing "Just Say No", but it still got to No.5 in the charts.

"all you gotta do is be yourself"
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an Englishman, I have recently decided that Scottish Independence is the best thing.
  • momma11momma11 Posts: 3,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always been a YES voter , but I never expected to win , I thought it might be close,but the NO would prevail.
    The recent news of the Banks and top Businesses defecting from Scotland really depressed me , because in my naivety , I thought it was a democracy , and the Ballot would win.
    Not so , all it takes is Westminster to crack the whip , and the Scottish Banks and other Businesses ( Asda and John Lewis ) all fall into line to force the Scottish Electorate to vote NO .
    The message has been received loud and clear.
    Vote NO ...or else .
    Surely even the NO voters can't be happy with this , for it faces them with the reality that they have no choice.It always had to be a NO or suffer the consequences .
    So much for Democracy .
    I am still voting YES ,I may be part of a dwindling factor , but I stand by my principles.
    I still believe we could do it , I still believe in the system .
    More fool me .
    There will be no more powers devolved to Scotland , if we should return a NO vote , there will be no need for Westminster to grant us anything more ,they have flexed their muscles and we will have caved , all they have to do is threaten to withdraw any hope of trade and financial future for us to have to give in .
    Game over , and it makes me so angry , because we are better than this and we can do so much more .
    Belief in ourselves would be a start .
    Standing firm would be the way forward .
    But people are frightened, and while I understand that ,it angers me that they would give in so easily.
    I am still voting YES , because I believe we can .
    I will never give up , even if it is futile.
    Where there is hope , you can do anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I was actually getting a little worried a couple of days ago but it looks like the people of Scotland are starting to have an outbreak of common sense and will say "No Thanks".

The People of Scotland are being given no choice .It's vote NO or else.
    So much for Westminster not interfering .
    Sad times.
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    momma11 wrote: »
    I have always been a YES voter , but I never expected to win , I thought it might be close,but the NO would prevail.
    The recent news of the Banks and top Businesses defecting from Scotland really depressed me , because in my naivety , I thought it was a democracy , and the Ballot would win.
    Not so , all it takes is Westminster to crack the whip , and the Scottish Banks and other Businesses ( Asda and John Lewis ) all fall into line to force the Scottish Electorate to vote NO .
    The message has been received loud and clear.
    Vote NO ...or else .
    Surely even the NO voters can't be happy with this , for it faces them with the reality that they have no choice.It always had to be a NO or suffer the consequences .
    So much for Democracy .
    I am still voting YES ,I may be part of a dwindling factor , but I stand by my principles.
    I still believe we could do it , I still believe in the system .
    More fool me .
    There will be no more powers devolved to Scotland , if we should return a NO vote , there will be no need for Westminster to grant us anything more ,they have flexed their muscles and we will have caved , all they have to do is threaten to withdraw any hope of trade and financial future for us to have to give in .
    Game over , and it makes me so angry , because we are better than this and we can do so much more .
    Belief in ourselves would be a start .
    Standing firm would be the way forward .
    But people are frightened, and while I understand that ,it angers me that they would give in so easily.
    I am still voting YES , because I believe we can .
    I will never give up , even if it is futile.
    Where there is hope , you can do anything.

That's a passionate statement Momma11 and I applaud you for it. The thing with the system is that you can never beat it. Even if you do smash it, the replacement is nearly as bad, or perhaps even worse. Whatever the dream, the reality always disappoints. That's the nature of politics. That's why relatively few people engage with it.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeus wrote: »
    That's a passionate statement Momma11 and I applaud you for it. The thing with the system is that you can never beat it. Even if you do smash it, the replacement is nearly as bad, or perhaps even worse. Whatever the dream, the reality always disappoints. That's the nature of politics. That's why relatively few people engage with it.

Whoever you vote for, you always get the government. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeus wrote: »

Thank you .I appreciate your reply .