Scottish independence: let's have an honest debate (P3)

Comments

• benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    I just noticed your location. You lucky sod! Perthshire's gorgeous! :)

it is. and I am fortunate.:)
  • bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Final Ipsos-mori phone poll shows same result as survation 53/47 no win.

That is with a predicted 95% turnout.
  • james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggertiny wrote: »
    Well if yes wins that's one wastrel the rest of us won't be paying for indeed if Scotland's generous social services are as good as Salmond saysthey are going to be then we may hope large numbers of our own deadlegs move north to take advantage of such generosity! :D

The SNP have manipulated and seduced voters with promises that will never happen. They knew who to target and went in for the kill. Once independence comes the SNP won't give a second thought to these people.

I'm hopeful of a NO win but that could be my own bias effecting my view.

I worry it will be a large YES win however because of how the dream has been sold. It does feel like people have fallen for it. Yet we have no answers at all on what will happen to key assets. Its a leap into the dark alright. Its suicide.

I also agree with the comment about if YES wins there will be a sudden 'WTF!! why have we done this!' reaction once people realise Scotland is out of Europe, won't get the currency union and every stock market goes tits up on Friday.

In some ways though it will be a joy to watch those who voted YES suffer because of their own stupidity. Just a shame all those who knew better will also have to deal with it.
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    it is. and I am fortunate.:)

Me too! (Fortunate that is) :D
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    It won't take 18 months. Watch the economic meltdown on Monday morning.

Or even tomorrow !
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »

I think the polls are going to be proved wrong not by the result but how close this is going to be. If those people who have never voted before totally disconnected from Politics do go out and vote they never get covered by pollsters
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Me too! (Fortunate that is) :D

I'll give you both a wave on Wednesday. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    Or even tomorrow !

Someone pointed out the only reason Obama came out in support of the union is because of the effect London crashing would have on the New York stock exchange. A YES win could push several countries into another recession.

Everyone said it was scaremongering. Yet its about to become reality.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading Twitter time lines is so interesting.

Lots of people claiming to have been hard No have voted Yes while others claiming to have voted Yes are now saying they got caught up in the moment and are regretting it.

This will be very tight I reckon.

You can't just rely on what people are saying on Twitter, you can't even be sure they're telling the truth! Claiming you have the contrary opinion to what you really do and changed your mind seems to have been a common tactic, presumably in hopes they'll change other people's opinions too.
  • BrawladBrawlad Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member

It also shows +7 gain for yes from a no friendly pollster. I predict 56 yes 44 no
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep. I said this yesterday. Yes will win and it will be by a higher margin than anyone expected. Like said. Too many are being caught up in the excitement.

Come Monday morning it will 'what the **** have we done' >:(

This is my fear too, I have a feeling a lot of the undecided voters and those who weren't previously registered will be voting Yes. From what I've read the result in Fife will give the best idea of what the result will be.
  • bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    I think the polls are going to be proved wrong not by the result but how close this is going to be. If those people who have never voted before totally disconnected from Politics do go out and vote they never get covered by pollsters

I think no will win by less than 1% but I cannot see all the polls being completely wrong.

just because folk who don't usually vote are, doesn't mean they are all voting Yes.
  • momma11momma11 Posts: 3,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That must be where the Fife police are cause there was none to be seen at our polling station. :)

Must be the same through here in Stirling , no police presence at my polling station.
    No thugs trying to intimidate me either .
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Brawlad wrote: »
    It also shows +7 gain for yes from a no friendly pollster. I predict 56 yes 44 no

I'm expecting a Yes win too but probably more narrow than that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PinSarla wrote: »
    This is my fear too, I have a feeling a lot of the undecided voters and those who weren't previously registered will be voting Yes. From what I've read the result in Fife will give the best idea of what the result will be.

Further more. If you read the likes of Facebook and Twitter it gives the impression 70% of people have already voted YES. No support is almost none existent.

We will be in for a shock % I reckon. Maybe above 60% for YES.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    momma11 wrote: »
    Must be the same through here in Stirling , no police presence at my polling station.
    No thugs trying to intimidate me either .

That's a relief. I think the last thing anyone wanted was trouble at the polls.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Further more. If you read the likes of Facebook and Twitter it gives the impression 70% of people have already voted YES. No support is almost none existent.

Maybe because people don't want to admit they've voted No because the cybernats will descend on them. A lot of No supporters probably want to keep quiet on what they've voted- just like throughout the rest of the campaign.
  • BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Labour MP was thrown out of an Inverclyde polling station for shouting at citizens to vote No. Wow they're brimming with confidence. That should make the news then.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We will be in for a shock % I reckon. Maybe above 60% for YES.

Just as well the result isn't decided on Facebook and Twitter. Older people are more likely to vote no and less likely to be active on social media.
  • MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »

As does North Korea, Russia and Zimbabwe :D

All other countries who have expressed a view, support the No campaign
  • BrawladBrawlad Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    A Labour MP was thrown out of an Inverclyde polling station for shouting at citizens to vote No. Wow they're brimming with confidence. That should make the news then.

Lol. Trying to intimidate people in a polling station. They should be dealt with by the law
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The press can't report on any stories from the referendum until 10pm. There is something in place which restricts them covering the story. Anyone know why?
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    MartinP wrote: »
    As does North Korea, Russia and Zimbabwe :D

All other countries who have expressed a view, support the No campaign

All good solid democracies there.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think no will win by less than 1% but I cannot see all the polls being completely wrong.

just because folk who don't usually vote are, doesn't mean they are all voting Yes.

very true I can see the analysis of this vote being churned over for years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The press can't report on any stories from the referendum until 10pm. There is something in place which restricts them covering the story. Anyone know why?

Isn't it so they don't possibly influence how people are going to vote while the polls are open? It's the case during every election that politics aren't reported on while the polls are open.