Options

Food dehydrators

davordavor Posts: 6,874
Forum Member
I just watched Big box,little box which featured food dehydrators. I instantly though how nice it would be to own one to dehydrate say cherry tomatoes and make nice dried tomatoes in a sec. I never used one and don't have a clue how everything works. Has anyone ever used any FD's and if so, is it worth the money?

P.S. Can it make raisins ? :p

Comments

• Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    I don't see the point of them myself. If you want dried fruit, go and buy dried fruit. They're be cheaper because they didn't need to ship around all that water that fresh fruit contains.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I don't see the point of them myself. If you want dried fruit, go and buy dried fruit. They're be cheaper because they didn't need to ship around all that water that fresh fruit contains.

It's not only to use to make dried fruit. You can make dried tomatoes which are delicious, or dried courgette crisp. Dried fish and mushrooms also come to mind.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The only decent thing i've seen made in a dehydrator is pork scratchings.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    My friend bought one of those, it resembled a spaceship, we sliced up bananas and left them in it overnight, the next morning we had dried banana slices, which were quite unpleasant to eat.