Mum Tweeted as medics battled to save son.

The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
Forum Member
http://cincinnati.momslikeme.com/members/JournalActions.aspx?g=246568&m=9159864&source=stream_rail

What a disgusting story. Sites like Twitter and facebook are contributing to the downfall of western society IMO.

Comments

• pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FFS. It's not like she tweeted instead of phoning the paramedics, it was half an hour after they turned up. Would you be so up in arms if she'd phoned her best friend for support and to ask them to pray for her?
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Snakes wrote: »
    http://cincinnati.momslikeme.com/members/JournalActions.aspx?g=246568&m=9159864&source=stream_rail

What a disgusting story. Sites like Twitter and facebook are contributing to the downfall of western society IMO.

No they're not, they're just giving the lunatics and egomaniacs a place to roost.
  • The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
    Forum Member
    pickwick wrote: »
    FFS. It's not like she tweeted instead of phoning the paramedics, it was half an hour after they turned up. Would you be so up in arms if she'd phoned her best friend for support and to ask them to pray for her?
    No, but Twitter isn't the same as a personal phone call to one person. You would think people would realise this by now.
  • Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what. She wasn't letting it get in the way of treatment and was only asking for people to pray for her. Misguided perhaps but what harm is she doing. She didn't do it before the child was in the most capable hands. Great big story about absolutely nothing at all. Please tell me where the foul is in any of this?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Woman discovers her son drowning, asks people to pray - yes that's the downfall of western society right there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but Twitter isn't the same as a personal phone call to one person. You would think people would realise this by now.
    Exactly. She could get support from more people. How, precisely, is this disgusting or contributing to the downfall of our society?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I guess everyone is different. When a friend of mine was injured, and required an ambulance, I was so panicked I couldn't even remember my own phone number. How this mother could compose herself enough to tweet her son's death, is beyond me, frankly.
  • Squishy22Squishy22 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Her behaviour was wrong but that has nothing to do with the silly comment at the end of your post!
    Forum Member
    She was probably excited that she had some drama in her life to tweet about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't seem very likely that asking people to pray for your son will lead to the downfall of Western civilization. Actually I am not convinced that asking people to pray for the downfall of Western civilization would lead to the downfall of Western civilization either; but asking people to pray for the life of your son to be saved is possibly more beneficial to the people concerned, in the sense that kindness is better than hatred.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    I guess everyone is different. When a friend of mine was injured, and required an ambulance, I was so panicked I couldn't even remember my own phone number. How this mother could compose herself enough to tweet her son's death, is beyond me, frankly.
    Well, if she'd done it immediately, I'd agree, but it was half an hour later. It's hard to stay at that level of panic for that long, and I think you can feel really useless when you just have to stand back and let the paramedics work, and you can't do anything to help. I think it's displacement activity as much as anything else.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good grief. You must be in a constant state of anxiety. Some people used to say the phone was ruining society, after it came into common use.

http://www.amazon.com/reader/0520086473?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=sib_dp_ptu#reader_0520086473
    (see first pages (paraphrasing here)
    'Does the telephone make men more active or more lazy?
    Does the telephone break up home life and the old practice of visiting friends?
    Do modern comforts soften people, undermine morality...'
  • NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was probably excited that she had some drama in her life to tweet about.

Thats a bit harsh, excited effectively about her dying son?? :eek:
    Forum Member
    NathalieR wrote: »
    Thats a bit harsh, excited effectively about her dying son?? :eek:
    I think so, in a way.
  • Mikey RocksMikey Rocks Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Stop Hating!
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She tweeted? like a bird?

TBH I can think of a million things to be doing whilst my kid is dying, Tweeting would be the last thing on my mind.

I wonder if she played a few games of Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook too. I wouldn't put it past this sort of....the only word I can think of is retarded, people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, if she'd done it immediately, I'd agree, but it was half an hour later. It's hard to stay at that level of panic for that long, and I think you can feel really useless when you just have to stand back and let the paramedics work, and you can't do anything to help. I think it's displacement activity as much as anything else.

Half an hour is pretty immediate if we're talking about the death of your child. I will acknowledge that grief does strange things to people, but I still think it was inappropriate, to say the least.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    The judgement against this woman is appalling imo, we all handle traumas in different ways, it's not as if she tweeted rather than actually do something about it.

We don't even know the woman, and how you can say she was 'excited about having drama to post about' is pretty sick tbh.

Can't believe her son has just died, and all the focus is on the fact she tweeted about it.:rolleyes:
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I think if that had happened to me the last thing on my mind would be logging into Twitter.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read this in the Metro today and did think it was a bit in poor taste http://www.metro.co.uk/news/806679-mother-tweets-death-of-her-son

Facebooking or tweeting would be the last thing in the world I would want to do after something as traumatic as that :eek:
  • stormin normstormin norm Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    big dan wrote: »
    The judgement against this woman is appalling imo, we all handle traumas in different ways, it's not as if she tweeted rather than actually do something about it.

We don't even know the woman, and how you can say she was 'excited about having drama to post about' is pretty sick tbh.

Can't believe her son has just died, and all the focus is on the fact she tweeted about it.:rolleyes:
    So what. She wasn't letting it get in the way of treatment and was only asking for people to pray for her. Misguided perhaps but what harm is she doing. She didn't do it before the child was in the most capable hands. Great big story about absolutely nothing at all. Please tell me where the foul is in any of this?

Agree with both.

At the time she posted it she was absolutely powerless to help her child, why shouldn't she ask people to pray?

I think people need to accept that this sort of thing is only going to become more and more common, I don't see why people get so irrate about it.

I could see the issue if she had done it before calling the ambulance but clearly that wasn't the case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    She tweeted? like a bird?

TBH I can think of a million things to be doing whilst my kid is dying, Tweeting would be the last thing on my mind.

I wonder if she played a few games of Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook too. I wouldn't put it past this sort of....the only word I can think of is retarded, people.

Top ten of the million things you'd be doing while the medics are trying to save your child's life then please.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with both.

At the time she posted it she was absolutely powerless to help her child, why shouldn't she ask people to pray?

Indeed. I think people are confusing the means with the end. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a (presumably religious) woman asking people to pray for her dying son. In a period of enforced inactivity (because really, what could one do except cry and pray?) she used the means at hand to ask for more prayers. I don't believe especially in the power of prayer myself, but if I did, and thought the more prayers, the more powerful, I can imagine doing the same.
  • TIVO_YORK99TIVO_YORK99 Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    According to the Daily Mail she tweeted one minute before the 999 call as well as the one 30 minutes after.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed. I think people are confusing the means with the end. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a (presumably religious) woman asking people to pray for her dying son. In a period of enforced inactivity (because really, what could one do except cry and pray?) she used the means at hand to ask for more prayers. I don't believe especially in the power of prayer myself, but if I did, and thought the more prayers, the more powerful, I can imagine doing the same.
    Yes, indeed. In times gone past, if she'd left her son's side to ring her pastor to ask him to pray, probably some would have judged her.