Went to the cinema alone yesterday

thedarklordthedarklord Posts: 2,162
Forum Member
✭✭✭
And it was so much better than going with my friends. I went to see Deathly Hallows Part 2 for a second time but this time I went to see it alone.

When I went to see this film on release day I went with my friends and they wouldn't shut up. Yesterday I enjoyed the film a lot more than when I went to see it with my friends. Is this sad of me going to see a film on my own? I think most people would consider it sad.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    I think people who judge people who are on their own at the cinema are quite weird I mean why does it bother people so much that they have to make critiques about the person. But I might be bias since I go to the cinema on my own a lot. I prefer it if I am honest.

I used to miss out on lots of films because I felt I would be judged and called sad. But then I thought sod it - if someone wants to make a snap judgement about me just because I am enjoying a film on my own then they are not people I really want to get to know anyway :)

Glad you enjoyed it though :)
  • thedarklordthedarklord Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people who judge people who are on their own at the cinema are quite weird I mean why does it bother people so much that they have to make critiques about the person. But I might be bias since I go to the cinema on my own a lot. I prefer it if I am honest.

I used to miss out on lots of films because I felt I would be judged and called sad. But then I thought sod it - if someone wants to make a snap judgement about me just because I am enjoying a film on my own then they are not people I really want to get to know anyway :)

Glad you enjoyed it though :)

Thanks. I mean it was so 'liberating' if you know what I mean. There was no one kicking the back of your chair or people talking over the film or someone munching over their crisps.
    Forum Member
    Thanks. I mean it was so 'liberating' if you know what I mean. There was no one kicking the back of your chair or people talking over the film or someone munching over their crisps.

Yeah I know what you mean, I love the fact that I can sit where I want which being a tall person is a glorious thing :) As I can pick seating that is comfortable for me :)
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go with my bf every Saturday, if he couldn't go though I would definitely go on my own, i've never been on my own before but I wouldn't think twice about going alone if I felt like it. As for other people judging f*** em
  • KymberlyKymberly Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to see the Kings Speech on my own earlier this year and really enjoyed it. Would definitely do it again depending on the film
  • StiggyStiggy Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    my partner doesnt want to see the three films I want to see (Super 8, Captain America and Cowboys + Aliens), so sod it I'll go on my own! :)
    Forum Member
    Another benefit of going on my own - is that I get to spend the day in the cinema watching 3 or 4 films. Most people I know can't cope with being in the cinema that long and would actually be happy to leave soon as the film has finished and are usually rushing out before the credits are rolling :)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And it was so much better than going with my friends. I went to see Deathly Hallows Part 2 for a second time but this time I went to see it alone.

When I went to see this film on release day I went with my friends and they wouldn't shut up. Yesterday I enjoyed the film a lot more than when I went to see it with my friends. Is this sad of me going to see a film on my own? I think most people would consider it sad.

It's a double edged sword.

Yes it is good that your 'friends' are not there to talk over the film (although as friends they shouldn't talk in the first place) but it means you haven't got support if strangers cause trouble.
  • thedarklordthedarklord Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a double edged sword.

Yes it is good that your 'friends' are not there to talk over the film (although as friends they shouldn't talk in the first place) but it means you haven't got support if strangers cause trouble.

I don't think I've had any major trouble when watching a film. Well not that kind of trouble anyway :D The funny thing is I was going to go to the cinema only a few days ago when the riots were kicking off. The Odeon is just round the corner where stores were trashed :eek:
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I have no problem going on my own ! I do it quite a bit !

Although my gf is really good in the sense she'll go see pretty much anything with me (bloody guts exception), and we've even gone to see 3 in a day before.

But I go on my own when I'm bored. I've no problem with it but I do recognize that some people think its weird. Do I care - No.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    I go myself all the time and I'm rarely the only one there alone. It's not a big deal to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually go alone. I don't see why some people refuse to. My mate won't go to the cinema unless someone will go with him!
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember I went to see 'Signs' and 'Insomnia' alone. The former was awful the latter was very good. Al Pacino was excellent as the cop in isolation in Alaska.
  • nathleenathlee Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    I usually go alone. I don't see why some people refuse to. My mate won't go to the cinema unless someone will go with him!
    Quite boring I know, but part of my job is looking at different personality traits of people using a personality test called Myers Briggs
    One of the biggest thing that comes up is going to the cinema alone and eating alone in a restaurant. Most people who have an introverted personality have no problem with it, and usually choose to do this at times to have some "me time" whilst thouse who are extroverts absolutely can't imagine doing such a thing.
    I am definitely an introvert and have no problem with eating alone or going to the cinema alone. Most people who think it's wierd just can't get their head around why someone would do that, probably in the same way I may struggle to understand why someone would have an issue with it.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Well done! I always used to go to the cinema alone - and have a meal by myself before or after too. It wasn't that I didn't have people to go with, I did it because I enjoyed it.
  • ShaiyaShaiya Posts: 3,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Chill out mate, its a cinema, not The Bronx :D

Unless its a cinema in The Bronx :eek:
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shaiya wrote: »
    Chill out mate, its a cinema, not The Bronx :D

Unless its a cinema in The Bronx :eek:

OMG. that is funny.
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I always go alone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If people have an issue or judge me about me being in the cinema on my own, then I think that says a lot more about them than it does me! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    i often go to the cinema alone as sometimes i decide on the spur of the moment to go and it is too late to start phoning round my mates...no problems whatsoever and...agree with Scubamonkey ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    I like going to the cinema on my own. Theres one literally round the corner from where I live but I only go when theres a film that I want to see on. I'll probably see One Day, Jane Eyre and Breaking Dawn part 1 on my own.
    I think that you get more out of it when your on your own.
    You can think more and judge it on your terms but there is nothing better if you are with a couple of people.
    I don't like big groups but two or three people's ok cause after you leave the cinema you can share what you thought.
    With regards of being self contious I just read a book or listen to music while I'm waiting for the film to begin so if people do judge me I don't notice it. Its your enjoyment so if people judge you of wanting to take 2 hours out to watch a film then that's there problem not yours.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Why is it sad? People regularly go to the cinema on their own.
  • alr837alr837 Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather been seen as "weird" and "sad" by other people watching the film, than miss seeing a film I wanted to see!

I prefer watching films on my own anyway, and Deathly Hallows part 2 was better on my own than with a crowd!

I don't tend to go to the cinema on my tod when it is busy ie a Saturday night, but more because my local does tickets for 3.50 before midday on a Sunday!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    The idea of going to the cinema alone really appeals to me but I have yet to do so as I'm not brave enough to do it... :o

I'm a shy person and self-conscious around people I don't know (but apparently I'm notoriously extroverted around people who I like and who I'm familiar with :p ). If I went to the cinema on my own, I would spend the whole time before the movie stressing about what the staff thought of me coming to the cinema on my own, not to mention what other cinema goers would think of me.

I know I shouldn't care what strangers think of me but I do. I can't help it. Has anyone got any tips to help me?

Until I get over this, I'll be stuck with my friends, who have the most atrocious taste in movies... I had to waste my money on films like Arthur and Mall Cop... HELP ME!!! :eek: :D :eek:
  • Mo@realityMo@reality Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I shouldn't care what strangers think of me but I do. I can't help it. Has anyone got any tips to help me?

Until I get over this, I'll be stuck with my friends, who have the most atrocious taste in movies... I had to waste my money on films like Arthur and Mall Cop... HELP ME!!! :eek: :D :eek:

Have you ever seen someone do something like eating in a restaurant alone and then gone home and phoned round all your friends to tell them? I bet not. Even if people do think you a bit strange for going out alone then I can guarantee that in about 30 seconds they've forgotten about you. The only person worrying about it is you. Once you get over that then your free to do anything you want.

I've been going to the cinema alone for years and I have no idea why people want to go in a group. It started for me years ago when I went to see Se7en with some friends who all spoke through it and I got up and sat on my own away from them. Since then I love to go alone and don't have to put up with people chatting to me through the film. The only downside for me is sometimes I want to talk about the film afterwards but then thats what digital spy, facebook and twitter is for.