Options

Imagine being the subject of a major news story

peopleschmeoplepeopleschmeople Posts: 604
Forum Member
✭✭
The media tends to provide a character analysis of the central figure in a major news story, asking family members, colleagues, neighbours and friends for their views on the type of person he or she was, and providing an overview of their lifestyle.

Imagine that you were that central figure.Say, for example, you'd died in an accident, been murdered or gone missing (e.g. Claudia Lawrence), or perhaps you were responsible for the deaths of others (e.g. a serial killer or a mass shooter). What opinions would be given of you and your way of life, and how would that be presented by the media? Would people say mostly good things about you ("life and soul of the party", "highly intelligent", "a stunning girl who turned heads" or "lovable rogue") or would you be described in negative terms ("a loner with no friends")?

I'd be described as "not unpleasant and would pass the time of day with you" but "was shy and very awkward socially and tended to keep herself to herself", and .... "obviously loved her dogs and often said that she preferred them to people, which was a bit weird ...."

Over to you.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably a quiet hermit who kept herself to herself :D
  • Options
    PicklebumPicklebum Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The media tends to provide a character analysis of the central figure in a major news story, asking family members, colleagues, neighbours and friends for their views on the type of person he or she was, and providing an overview of their lifestyle.

Imagine that you were that central figure.Say, for example, you'd died in an accident, been murdered or gone missing (e.g. Claudia Lawrence), or perhaps you were responsible for the deaths of others (e.g. a serial killer or a mass shooter). What opinions would be given of you and your way of life, and how would that be presented by the media? Would people say mostly good things about you ("life and soul of the party", "highly intelligent", "beautiful" or "lovable rogue") or would you be described in negative terms ("a loner with no friends")?

I'd be described as "not unpleasant and would pass the time of day with you" but "was shy and very awkward socially and tended to keep herself to herself", and .... "obviously loved her dogs and often said that she preferred them to people, which was a bit weird ...."

Over to you.

I dread to think. That's my number one fear. Being at the mercy of the the general public and gutter press.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Over to you.

The press would turn that into WEIRDO LONER who TALKS TO DOGS and CALLED THEM HER BABIES.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The media tends to say only good things if someone has died and will bury anything negative ("he was a lovely boy, a talented footballer with ambitions to be a doctor"). But if the subject has perpetrated some crime or other, they will go the ends of the earth to dig up some dirt on them (Philpotts and their dogging business), or find people willing to say negative things about them. In the case of the missing chef Claudia Lawrence, though, there's been a fair bit of speculation and titillating gossip on her lifestyle, which is pretty disrespectful to her family.

That's the bit I would worry about if I ever went missing ... the dirt digging. Oh, and the photo they would use :eek::eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The media tends to say only good things if someone has died and will bury anything negative ("he was a lovely boy, a talented footballer with ambitions to be a doctor"). But if the subject has perpetrated some crime or other, they will go the ends of the earth to dig up some dirt on them (Philpotts and their dogging business), or find people willing to say negative things about them. In the case of the missing chef Claudia Lawrence, though, there's been a fair bit of speculation and titillating gossip on her lifestyle, which is pretty disrespectful to her family.

That's the bit I would worry about if I ever went missing ... the dirt digging. Oh, and the photo they would use :eek::eek:

The revelations about Claudia's private life should regarded as potentially shocking to her family rather than disrespectful.

Claudia has disappeared without any trace and the Police have a duty as part of the investigation to publicise, any aspects of her private life that may lead to finding out what happened to her.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    A while ago I realized that no-one will ever see you the way you see yourself so it's quite a tricky one to answer.
    But it would probably be 'a quiet, conscientious boy' (I always get 'conscientious'), 'awkward in social situations but was generally polite and thoughtful to people'. Also 'a probing, creative mind who always looked beneath the surface'.

From someone who didn't like me they'd probably say 'he was a weirdo who kept to himself and didn't like to mix with people, usually looking down on them in a snobby, cold manner'. lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picklebum wrote: »
    The revelations about Claudia's private life should regarded as potentially shocking to her family rather than disrespectful.

Claudia has disappeared without any trace and the Police have a duty as part of the investigation to publicise, any aspects of her private life that may lead to finding out what happened to her.

True, but there was an element of titillation in some of the gutter press when writing about the case, which would only add to the family's suffering.
  • Options
    Uk LtdUk Ltd Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EXPOSED: Today THE SUN can reveal the identity of the HUNKY MAN who SHAGGED ALL 5 OF THE SATURDAYS, 5 TIMES A NIGHT, EACH!! Turn to pages 4-11 for EXCLUSIVE photos, and sordid details.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, but there was an element of titillation in some of the gutter press when writing about the case, which would only add to the family's suffering.

But the revelations were factual. It is not the fault of the Press that Claudia's family were unaware of the complexities of her love life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A while ago I realized that no-one will ever see you the way you see yourself so it's quite a tricky one to answer.
    But it would probably be 'a quiet, conscientious boy' (I always get 'conscientious'), 'awkward in social situations but was generally polite and thoughtful to people'. Also 'a probing, creative mind who always looked beneath the surface'.

From someone who didn't like me they'd probably say 'he was a weirdo who kept to himself and didn't like to mix with people, usually looking down on them in a snobby, cold manner'. lol

Nothing wrong with "conscientious". A good quality in the eye of employers too (it's on my CV anyway :D)

It's a shame that some people confuse shyness with aloofness or "being stuck-up".
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how can you possible say what others would say about you, you can't,
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the reason you need to have a nice presentable Facebook photo, because you just know that's the one that will be plastered on the front page of the Daily Mail, should you die in a dramatic/tragic/notable/murder sort of way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    This is the reason you need to have a nice presentable Facebook photo, because you just know that's the one that will be plastered on the front page of the Daily Mail, should you die in a dramatic/tragic/notable/murder sort of way.

Well, mine is of one of my dogs (surprise!), which in itself is bound to point to my anti-social weirdness in the eyes of the tabloids. I did send my mum a half-decent photo of myself last week and told her to use it if I was ever in the papers, otherwise there'd be a photo of me aged 13 in my school uniform.
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would not like to be any of the following:

A young, socially inept man who regularly walked in a park in which an attractive young woman was stabbed to death in front of her son.
    Or
    An older man who lived alone in a flat in a converted house he owned in Bristol, and was the landlord of another flat in the same house in which an attractive young woman was murdered.
    or
    A social misfit who fantasised that he was Freddy Mercury's brother and was accused of murdering another attractive young woman, who also happened to be a well known TV presenter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would not like to be any of the following:

A young, socially inept man who regularly walked in a park in which an attractive young woman was stabbed to death in front of her son.
    Or
    An older man who lived alone in a flat in a converted house he owned in Bristol, and was the landlord of another flat in the same house in which an attractive young woman was murdered.
    or
    A social misfit who fantasised that he was Freddy Mercury's brother and was accused of murdering another attractive young woman, who also happened to be a well known TV presenter

All very pertinent examples of the media dissecting, and very likely destroying, the lives of ordinary people who ultimately turned out to have committed no crime, other than being different.
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Imagine that you were that central figure.Say, for example, you'd died in an accident, been murdered or gone missing (e.g. Claudia Lawrence), or perhaps you were responsible for the deaths of others (e.g. a serial killer or a mass shooter). What opinions would be given of you and your way of life, and how would that be presented by the media? Would people say mostly good things about you ("life and soul of the party", "highly intelligent", "a stunning girl who turned heads" or "lovable rogue") or would you be described in negative terms ("a loner with no friends")?

Over to you.

They'd probably say the same about me as about you.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nothing good would be said about me, if I had done something horrible, alot of them wouldnt be that shocked.

Still ive had a front page before, and even be the subject of celebrity gossip, so ive been in the press before.
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In pre social media days, I was in the papers (I'm talking a small column on page 9 sort of thing), & a police mug shot was printed - I looked very ugly in it & I was angry that the paper did not contact my solicitor rather than the police, who could've contacted my next of kin to get a decent photo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lunar1 one, a shy lady but after a few drinks she comes out of her shell, the girl next door with a love of nature you can always see her staring out the window
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Picklebum wrote: »
    I dread to think. That's my number one fear. Being at the mercy of the the general public and gutter press.

It's one of my worst nightmares too! There are times that I often fantasise about becoming a rockstar or something then the thought of all the press intrusion comes into my head and I come crashing down to earth. :eek: :D
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm too fat so they'd probably call me a bubbly girl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    I'm too fat so they'd probably call me a bubbly girl.

The Sun likes to use the term "rolypoly" when describing overweight people :o
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I changed my profile pic and cover photo on facebook yesterday. My cover photo is my OH and I, he is pretty much covering me and half my face is covered by sunglasses and my profile pic is me stood on a beach but it's not a close up so they wouldn't be able to show my face very well, although I guess they'd crop it etc. They wouldn't be able to raid my friend list trying to find pics of me as it's hidden although they'd probably click on people who have liked and commented on my cover photos seeing as that's public. I'm sure if there are any pics of a person on the net then the press will find them, by whatever means necessary.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sun likes to use the term "rolypoly" when describing overweight people :o

Really?! I don't think I've heard anyone use that since the 90s! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Really?! I don't think I've heard anyone use that since the 90s! :eek:

From September 2012:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4539784/It-suits-you-Jonathan-Antoine.html