Options

Provocative/bitchy Facebook status updates

Comments

• Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I have 2 brothers I've known for years as FB friends but they haven't spoken for ages. They often have full scale arguements online and it's insane. The last one ended with 'You know where I live Dave you c*** come round here and we'll sort this out with me kicking your a*se like I always did when we were kids. If you ain't got the guts to come round then just STFU.'

They're 42 and 39 years old :eek:

Don't know why but that sort of thing does make me snigger! It isn't them two from Oasis is it, bet they'd have spats on facebook :D
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I only have 62 friends, and the only time I've seen any sort of drama was when a Chomskyite and a libertarian were going at it, but they don't seem to communicate anymore, so it's not a problem. :D

If anyone gets nasty or personal, I'd probably just delete him or her.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have 2 brothers I've known for years as FB friends but they haven't spoken for ages. They often have full scale arguements online and it's insane. The last one ended with 'You know where I live Dave you c*** come round here and we'll sort this out with me kicking your a*se like I always did when we were kids. If you ain't got the guts to come round then just STFU.'

Of course, there's no independent moderation of FB. I suppose they operate from the premise that you just delete anbody who is a pain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

lol.. simialr here, There's 5 of us, Im the oldest (43) rarely we're all 'friends' at the same time.. Yesterday we all posted on the same comments and my brother posted Thats a first, then it started again.. LOL.. the youngest is 33. :D just like being kids again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's something about facebook I can't get my head round ~ how do you "tag" into a photo album. There's one of us all at the pub a few days ago for someone's birthday, which I can view, but 5 friends are "tagged" into it. How do they do this ?
  • Options
    RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

/goes to check the ages of Miliband brothers... :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    There's something about facebook I can't get my head round ~ how do you "tag" into a photo album. There's one of us all at the pub a few days ago for someone's birthday, which I can view, but 5 friends are "tagged" into it. How do they do this ?

Click on the photo you want to tag and underneath there's an option to 'tag this photo' click on it and then on a face in the photo and hey presto!
    It'll take immediate effect if it's your picture, if not the tag request goes to the owner of the picture so they can allow or refuse the tag.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hah yes, never thought of those two!
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D

No these two are far more entertaining than Ed n Dave will ever be.

I should delete them really as they're both completely bonkers but their online spats really make me giggle
  • Options
    floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've unfortunately come across it before with my boyfriend's mother, of all people! She moved to Oz last year and got very touchy when my OH moved in with me, then even worse whenever I happened to mention on FB anything to do with my parents which involved my OH too. For example, I mentioned one day on FB when my OH and I were flat-hunting, that my mum was joining us to look at a couple. She actually commented on it asking why she didn't get a say in the decision...despite being in Australia!

Anyway, my OH went away for Easter and my mum had bought him a stupid amount of easter eggs. I tried phoning him to let him know but his phone was switched off so I just wrote on his wall knowing he'd pick it up that way. His mother commented overnight saying "BIG F##KING DEAL YOU HAD TO WRITE AGAIN I NOTICE!!!! HOW F##KING SAD. MY SON DOES NEED BUYING TO STAY!!"

She deleted the comment but obviously didn't realise I received notification emails so saw exactly what she had said! I sent her a private message letting her know I had seen it and she tried playing dumb "what message?" So I copied and pasted it lol. She then text my OH to say I was a "hurtful nasty f**kin evil pathetic bitch" Nice!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Click on the photo you want to tag and underneath there's an option to 'tag this photo' click on it and then on a face in the photo and hey presto!
    It'll take immediate effect if it's your picture, if not the tag request goes to the owner of the picture so they can allow or refuse the tag.

Thanks for that netcurtains, much appreciated :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You see, nonsense like this is why I stay as far away from Facebook as far as possible.

What is it about this one website that makes grown men and women so childish? It's absolutely pathetic!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    Kids stuff I know :o, but I've just noticed one on my FB wall. :rolleyes: :mad: It's a long story but basicly a friend of mine did something bad which really REALLY hurt another friend of ours, we've fallen out over this and I've deleted her. Someone who we both know has decided to use Facebook to let everyone know whos side she's on, pretty nasty towards the women whos been hurt imo, not to mention childish.

I won't be repsonding but I was just wondering if anyone had any similer experiences? Anyone ever been involved in a full blown FB ding dong??? :D

I'm sorry for your pain. I deleted my FB account cos someone had a go at my poor, totally sweet, complete martyr of a friend for no reason - she didn't even know him. I deleted her cos there's no way I want uncompassionate people as friends, but I could see that was going to turn people against me and result in a falling out either cyber land wise or real world or both, so I just got out - for, although that was not a large thing really, I was also so tired by then of seeing friends involved in huge FB arguments and being upset when they didn't deserve that. I think FB is often very negative socially, and I think one of the reasons why is it so negative is that it brings people together who don't have anything in common, and, when an inevitable proportion of those people are rude, it just becomes explosive.
  • Options
    Little-IanLittle-Ian Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im glad i deleted my facebook account. I coundnt cope with all the hassle to be honest. Reccomended it to a load of other family members who use it but not as often as i was, caused to much hassle and have been free from it for a while now. Yay! :)
  • Options
    livingdeadgirllivingdeadgirl Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Facebook is not a safe place. I nearly lost my entire family because of disagreements on fb. It's way too easy to express yourself and upset some of your nearest and dearest on Facebook.
  • Options
    DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    floozie_21 wrote: »
    I've unfortunately come across it before with my boyfriend's mother, of all people! She moved to Oz last year and got very touchy when my OH moved in with me, then even worse whenever I happened to mention on FB anything to do with my parents which involved my OH too. For example, I mentioned one day on FB when my OH and I were flat-hunting, that my mum was joining us to look at a couple. She actually commented on it asking why she didn't get a say in the decision...despite being in Australia!

Anyway, my OH went away for Easter and my mum had bought him a stupid amount of easter eggs. I tried phoning him to let him know but his phone was switched off so I just wrote on his wall knowing he'd pick it up that way. His mother commented overnight saying "BIG F##KING DEAL YOU HAD TO WRITE AGAIN I NOTICE!!!! HOW F##KING SAD. MY SON DOES NEED BUYING TO STAY!!"

She deleted the comment but obviously didn't realise I received notification emails so saw exactly what she had said! I sent her a private message letting her know I had seen it and she tried playing dumb "what message?" So I copied and pasted it lol. She then text my OH to say I was a "hurtful nasty f**kin evil pathetic bitch" Nice!

I was going to join FB as I have a friend there, but have grave doubts about it. What happened to you is awful, and should never have happened. If I can suggest your OH deals with it, as I reckon he should asap. You should get an apology from his mum, who shouldn't speak to you in the way she has.

xxx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    I play some games on FB- so have lots of "friends" added just for the game numbers. It's not unusual to come across a bitchfest between a couple of people - usually it's the younger ones - but not always
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    If people didn't copy the value system of soap opera actors, and behave in an intelligent, rational matter, then this would not happen. Sadly, bombarded with 'drama' on the TV every night (with a Sunday omnibus), people just get all too hysterical over nothing. Then you have reality TV wich actively promotes back-stabbing, and it is hardly any wonder that 'some' people just don't know what values to exhibit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Facebook is not a safe place. I nearly lost my entire family because of disagreements on fb. It's way too easy to express yourself and upset some of your nearest and dearest on Facebook.

You have to be extremely careful what you say. For that reason all my replies are either complimentary, encouraging or just plain bland. I shy away from any friction, and ignore the very occasional comment which has been insulting or a wind up towards me.

I make sure there is no ambiguity or likelihood of misunderstanding before I post, given that even if you delete your comment afterwards, an e mail with the original comment will already have been sent to all the previous contributors in the status.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always find that nasty status updates on FB are always from people that would never have the guts to say it to the persons face!

My sil does it alot, it pisses me off to see it because she spells the way she speaks, I have to read it about 3 times before I can make sense of it! Also everyday something dramatic happens.

I personally would never use FB to air my dirty laundry! I am one for taking the high road and just ignoring it!! They realise how daft they look after a while.

I have an old school friend who is Bi Polar on FB, and some her status updates are so eratic and dramatic, she give up with it all one minute and can be quite cutting, then next she tells everyone what an amazing day she has had! I don't judge her really as I know its just a condition that she has. She is such a lovely person when she is not manic, and when she is you just leave her to it.

I do think FB can be detramental to some people.
  • Options
    BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    Well, I only have 62 friends, and the only time I've seen any sort of drama was when a Chomskyite and a libertarian were going at it, but they don't seem to communicate anymore, so it's not a problem. :D

If anyone gets nasty or personal, I'd probably just delete him or her.

But Chomsky is a libertarian:confused: No wonder things got heated.

There must be some liberarian cult on FB becuase a couple of people I know became 'libertarians' after joining. Sadly, I think they think it means they can say and do what they like, and that it gives them a licence to speak whats on their mind no matter who gets hurt.

Wheras its is actually a quite complex political philosphy that even Chomsky struggles to get his head round:rolleyes:;)
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    There are NO nasty or bitchy people on my FB friends list, if there was then they'd be deleted pronto. If they constantly moan they're deleted, if they insist on using foul language in their status updates they're deleted, I don't add people I don't like or don't know unless it's for one of the apps and those that I have added have been fine and I've made a few good friends from far away places.

So, the moral of the story is that if they upset you, delete and block them, problem solved.
  • Options
    miss_zeldamiss_zelda Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ugh, I hate cryptic, bitchy messages posted by people on Facebook. Why air your dirty laundry in public?
  • Options
    floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dix wrote: »
    I was going to join FB as I have a friend there, but have grave doubts about it. What happened to you is awful, and should never have happened. If I can suggest your OH deals with it, as I reckon he should asap. You should get an apology from his mum, who shouldn't speak to you in the way she has.

xxx

Thanks Dix, yeah my OH told her she was being stupid and childish and they did stop speaking for a while. Thankfully it's easy to avoid her since she's in a different country but she still gets awfully bitchy now and then!
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    floozie_21 wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek:

I think you should just thank your lucky stars she lives in Australia and pray that she never decides to come home :D