Bad Cover Versions

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    binty wrote:
    Totally agreed about All Saints massacring Under the Bridge...

The only cover I can think of off the top of me head that I like better than the original was Smells Like Teen Spirit, covered by Tori Amos (don't shoot me Nirvana fans!)

I'm a Nirvana fan, and I think she made an interesting go of the track.. I don't have any major objections to it.
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    Talking of good, 'different' covers :-
    I quite liked Sheryl Crowe's acoustic version of G'n'R's 'Sweet Child 'o' Mine'
  • metafismetafis Posts: 11,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madonnas 'American pie'. souless and done by numbers.
    Forum Member
    metafis wrote:
    Madonnas 'American pie'. souless and done by numbers.

Agreed! - That was AWFUL!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate Westlife's version of Relish's "Rainbow Zephyr", they change two words ("Hey Whatever") and claim to have given the tracka new, fresh identity!?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    Garbage wrote:
    I hate Westlife's version of Relish's "Rainbow Zephyr", they change two words ("Hey Whatever") and claim to have given the tracka new, fresh identity!?!
    oh, but it was wonderful, truely wonderful :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Mmmm Bad Cover Versions so so many

William Hung - She Bangs (Which was rubbish to begin with) & Many Many More

(The American Idol clips are funny but he actually released an album in the US)

I Fought the Law - Green Day

(I'm not 100% The Clash's version was the original but this really sucked & I actually like Green Day)

Sheryl Crow - Sweet Child o Mine (RUBBBISSSH!!!!) :mad:
    Forum Member
    I used to be a big fan of UFO.
    But their version of Eddie Cochran's 'C'mon everybody' was truly cringe-making!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WWJD?? wrote:
    I dont think anyones mentioned this yet..but still , different people , different tastes....

a cover which really bugs me is the all saints cover of the chilli's classic "under the bridge"

that was a classic songs which should not have been touched...especially by the all saints

Was wondering when someone was going to get around to this one! Horrible, horrible cover of a truly great song.
  • violaineviolaine Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too many to list off the top of my head, but special mention for all of Westlife's cover versions. :rolleyes: Soulless music made by robots.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bigmelon wrote:
    oh, but it was wonderful, truely wonderful :rolleyes:

At least it had it's basic originality to fall back on.

I agree with violaine.. hopefully though we may be witnessing the end of the lads now that Brian McFathead has departed.. :rolleyes:
  • violaineviolaine Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Garbage wrote:
    At least it had it's basic originality to fall back on.

I agree with violaine.. hopefully though we may be witnessing the end of the lads now that Brian McFathead has departed.. :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought no one could do a worse version of Bobby Hebbs gorgeous slice of soul Sunny than Boney M. Then I heard the Boogie Pimps version. WTF???????

All time worst cover has to be Tina Turner absolutely murdering Lets Stay Together. Al Greens classic is a beautiful, uflifting tune that still gives me goosebumps when I hear it now. Tinas version was, well pretty shit tbh.
  • madanglianmadanglian Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do they have to be recent crap covers???

Dusty Springfield's "I only wanna be with you" has been redone badly loads of times - including by the Bay City Rollers and The Tourists (Annie Lennox), who really should have known better. They just didn't have Dusty's sooouuuuullllll!

"Here comes the Sun" done by that smarmy cockney git Steve Harley
    (Sahn Sahn Sahn, here we cahm)

Anything by the Sex Pistols after Rotten left. eg. "C'mon everybody", "My Way".

Ripoff pop music is nothing new. What a shame the charts of our time are dominated by it though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There has been loads of new(ish) covers on Box and ChartShow this week. As well as '442 - Come on England', and all the other Euro 2004 covers there has been 'Alright Now', 'Baby I don't Care (Transvision Amp)', 'Wild Boys', and another I can't think of.

What a shame people can't write their own music these days. I was also gobsmacked when some one at the Isle of Wight festival said 'Why are The Who covering Limp Bizket?', reffering to 'Behind Blue Eyes'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,219
    Forum Member
    Boyzone's greatest hits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyzone's greatest hits.

Just a Minute, BBC Radio 4...

Question: What is a minute long. Some one buzzes in: Boyzones Greatest Hits album.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    damn it someone already beat me to the massacre all saints did with one of the chilis greatest songs "under the bridge"! i mean could they really relate to the feeliings tht antony was tryin to convey in that song? NO! did they have any understandin of what the song was bout NO! they ruined it damn it!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    XTM ft. Annia - "Fly On The Wings Of Love"
    Blue - "Signed Sealed Delivered"
    Westlife - "Uptown Girl"
    Liberty X - "Being Nobody"
    Sam And Mark - "A Little Help From My Friends"
    Comic Relief - "When The Going Gets Tough"

I could go on but you get my drift. The only cover versions worth listening to, ever, are Simply Red's. :cool:
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=J

Sheryl Crow - Sweet Child o Mine (RUBBBISSSH!!!!) :mad:[/QUOTE]

Agreed some songs should NEVER be covered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about Blazin Squads Revolution. It's basically T-Rex's Children Of The Revolution with some of the verse lyrics changed, But then it's Blazin Squad enuff said.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carlos_dfc wrote:
    Talking of good, 'different' covers :-
    I quite liked Sheryl Crowe's acoustic version of G'n'R's 'Sweet Child 'o' Mine'

Im sorry but what were you on, when listening to this?? i just downloaded it, and shes massacared one of rocks greatest ballads!!! i mean i thought All Saints topped the worst covers ever, but she just does one better!!! a terrible cover, should have been left far far away!! the bassline, the sweet bassline ruined!!! Vocals destroyed, and replacing one of the greatest GUITAR solos ever with an organ sounding keyboard!!!!!!! grrrrrr just makes me soo mad!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Shirley Bassey's cringing version of The Beatles classic 'Something'.
  • Megson1965Megson1965 Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonderwall - Ryan Adams

Disliked the original but detest this even more. A dirge. What the appeal is with this track baffles me beyond an hours worth of chin stroking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    One to avoid:
    Rolf Harris - Stairway to Heaven

However, Far Corporation - Stairway To Heaven, is quite acceptable