Back To Camelot: Merlin Series 1 discussion thread (beginning Saturday 5th January)

Comments

• star89star89 Posts: 23,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lowri wrote: »
    Well thank you Sir Stu, I must have been off gathering herbs in the woods or something since I missed that conversation :p

I think you will find me quite suited to a position as a Lady of the household, I can read and write (with the certificates to prove it), I can play the flute and piano should I be needed in the orchestra and I've never once been put in the stocks for unruly behaviour. I am also well trained in such ladylike pursuits as embroidery and archery. In addition, you should know that I'm terrible at washing up.

*Notes down all Lowri has said for her discussion with Smint tomorrow*

I would just like to point out that whilst most is good in that post for you being a Lady... Ladies do not collect their own herbs :p
    The rest however is perfectly ladylike :)

Star is off to bed. Goodnight all :yawn:
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    star89 wrote: »
    *Notes down all Lowri has said for her discussion with Smint tomorrow*

I would just like to point out that whilst most is good in that thread for you being a Lady... Ladies do not collect their own herbs :p
    The rest however is perfectly ladylike :)

Star is off to bed. Goodnight all :yawn:

I consider collecting herbs to be a pastime not a job, therefore perfectly acceptable ;)

Goodnight :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes then that all seems perfectly good. I shall speak to Smint but all is looking well for you to be a Lady of Camelot :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes then that all seems perfectly good. I shall speak to Smint but all is looking well for you to be a Lady of Camelot :D

Yay! You are most generous Lady Star :D

Past bedtime for me as well now so night all :)
  • Keren-HappuchKeren-Happuch Posts: 2,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you will find me quite suited to a position as a Lady of the household, I can read and write (with the certificates to prove it), I can play the flute and piano should I be needed in the orchestra and I've never once been put in the stocks for unruly behaviour. I am also well trained in such ladylike pursuits as embroidery and archery. In addition, you should know that I'm terrible at washing up.

I can't clean or do washing up and my cooking is worse than Merlin's but that doesn't stop me from being a maid. :D I'm very lucky that Princess Smint is writing me a Merthur smut story despite my terrible service.

Who will be your maid though Lady Lowri? The Lady Star is very possessive of her own maid, and I'm not sure that I could serve another with all the quests that Arthur makes me go on, as much as I would love to. :(
  • myselfandimyselfandi Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    What awful things did she do in 2x03 :confused:

I was thinking of her refusal to return to Camelot, despite the people being executed and the danger she represented to the Druids.
    I agree that Merlin's fear and Gaius's caution led him to keep quiet (hense my dislike of Gaius :p) but I still think it was the wrong thing to do.

I think Merlin kept quiet on too much, for instance he could have told Arthur a lot more in S3 and S4, instead of lying about everything. Basically Gaius and Merlin saying nothing to anybody else was a clumsy repetitive plot device.

In Merlin's defense, Morgana's dreams often made her hysterical and apparently unstable. In addition, her willingness to throw Gaius under the bus to save herself (The Witchfinder, 2.07) seemed to bear out that Merlin could never fully trust her.
    [Morgana] was given (magical?) potions to help her sleep. So, she spent series 1 and 2 doped up on (more powerful than horse, I'm guessing) tranquilisers. Therefore, she was never in the right frame of mind to begin with; she was incapable of making sound decisions because she was non compos mentis. This, combined with the poison Merlin gave her in series 2 also damaged her brain further

omigod, that's brilliant. The longterm use of sedatives and/or narcotics followed up by poison - scientific literature is filled with details of bad outcomes. I need to check what poison Merlin used, hemlock?
    What I don't understand is why she wanted Camelot's throne. She never came across as being power hungry, more like a freedom fighter to start off with.

I don't think careful analysis is justified, given how the writers would let the plot dictate character action. However, there are some plot details that seem to fit with later character motivation.

In S3, Morgana discovered that she was the natural daughter of Uther (3.05, The Crystal Cave). Uther professed his love for her but refused to publicly acknowledge her. Morgana's obsession with taking the throne in S4 and especially in S5, seemed more tied to Daddy issues and resentment of Arthur as the publicly declared child and heir than any interest in helping other people with magic.
  • NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't clean or do washing up and my cooking is worse than Merlin's but that doesn't stop me from being a maid. :D I'm very lucky that Princess Smint is writing me a Merthur smut story despite my terrible service.
    We're ladies maids though, we don't actually have to do much cooking/washing up. :) There are cooks and kitchen maids for that.
    Who will be your maid though Lady Lowri? The Lady Star is very possessive of her own maid, and I'm not sure that I could serve another with all the quests that Arthur makes me go on, as much as I would love to. :(
    Not every lady gets their own maid, Avi and Cadiva don't have one. If Lowri wants a personal maid she'll have to look for one herself (like Smint did with you). ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myselfandi wrote: »
    I was thinking of her refusal to return to Camelot, despite the people being executed and the danger she represented to the Druids.

Ah ok. I wouldn't call it an awful thing though, she felt safe and happy there. No one can blame her for not wanting to return to a kingdom that would have her executed for who she was. Also TBF it was Merlin that lead them there and they were already upon them so even if Morgana said she would return the knights would already be at the druid camp.
    However I see your point that if she gave herself up they might have left the druids alone.
    I think Merlin kept quiet on too much, for instance he could have told Arthur a lot more in S3 and S4, instead of lying about everything. Basically Gaius and Merlin saying nothing to anybody else was a clumsy repetitive plot device.

Totally agree with this. One of my biggest pet hates (apart from the whole Morgana thing) is that Merlin never told Arthur the truth about his birth :confused: Surely telling him that would mean the end to all the suffering of magic users. Merlin was suppose to bring magic back to the land, he didn't do a very good job. Once Uther had died and especially after he attacked Camelot (ghost) Merlin should of told Arthur the truth. It would of solved a whole lot of later problems.

Infact telling the truth with a few things could have prevented most of the bad things that happened. Telling Morgana the truth.. telling Arthur the truth.. Mordred would never have turned against Arthur either if magic was legal.
    This is why they always tell you to TELL THE TRUTH :)
    In Merlin's defense, Morgana's dreams often made her hysterical and apparently unstable. In addition, her willingness to throw Gaius under the bus to save herself (The Witchfinder, 2.07) seemed to bear out that Merlin could never fully trust her.

I think one of the main reasons her dreams made her so hysterical and scared is because she didn't understand them. If Merlin had of helped her (even without telling her the truth about himself) told her she was a seer, explained to her what that meaned. He and Gaius could have explained everything, told her her dreams were a good thing and they can help protect people. She often dreamed of harm coming to Arthur, with her fair warning the harm could be stopped before it even got there.

Well I wouldn't say she was willing to throw Gaius under the bus. She was terrified and answered his questions honestly.. I don't think for one moment she thought hmm I'l tell him Gaius is making me worse and he'l kill him and spare me. Besides if she said the potions had made her dreams better he would only accuse Gaius of using magic that way.
    Natarhi wrote: »
    We're ladies maids though, we don't actually have to do much cooking/washing up. :) There are cooks and kitchen maids for that.

Exactly. I won't have no maid of mine dirtying her hands washing up :eek: Natarhi only has wonderful jobs, sewing my dresses, drawing baths, brushing my hair, sending messages to the knights and settling them in to their rooms, accompanying me on shopping trips and her most important duty.. getting me out of any trouble I manage to get myself into :o;)
  • SmintSmint Posts: 4,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not every lady gets their own maid, Avi and Cadiva don't have one. If Lowri wants a personal maid she'll have to look for one herself (like Smint did with you). ;)

Well, Lowri, you may have the attributes of a lady, but more important is your genealogy

Are your parents of noble birth or are you married to a lord?

After all, Natarhi has most ladylike qualities but is not of noble birth, whereas there are some who hold the title of Lady . . .
  • Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't have a maid? :eek:

Actually, I didn't know I was even a lady. :)

I came on here to ask if I could be Arthur's horse. Then Arthur can ride me whenever he likes, and Merlin can stroke (groom) me. Attention from both men - I'll be happy with that. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avi8 wrote: »
    came on here to ask if I could be Arthur's horse. Then Arthur can ride me whenever he likes, and Merlin can stroke (groom) me. Attention from both men - I'll be happy with that. :D

LOL. You don't need to be a horse to have Arthur ride you whenever he likes, or have Merlin stroke you. Come and be a maid with me, Arthur is very fond of having his wicked way with the servants.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL. You don't need to be a horse to have Arthur ride you whenever he likes, or have Merlin stroke you. Come and be a maid with me, Arthur is very fond of having his wicked way with the servants.

Ah but you see I thought if I could be a horse, then I wouldn't have to bother with all that cleaning and serving. I could just stand quietly in my stable, and when Arthur and Merlin fancied a roll in the hay, I would be on hand. :D

Also, I am an anti-social individual at heart. I don't think I could do all that chattering that goes with being a Camelot lady or maid.

I prefer to be a bit of an animal. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah but you see I thought if I could be a horse, then I wouldn't have to bother with all that cleaning and serving. I could just stand quietly in my stable, and when Arthur and Merlin fancied a roll in the hay, I would be on hand. :D

Also, I am an anti-social individual at heart. I don't think I could do all that chattering that goes with being a Camelot lady or maid.

Haha, fair enough, Avi The Horse it is then. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D

When is Arthur coming out for a ride?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a maid? :eek:

Actually, I didn't know I was even a lady. :)

I came on here to ask if I could be Arthur's horse. Then Arthur can ride me whenever he likes, and Merlin can stroke (groom) me. Attention from both men - I'll be happy with that. :D

Just when I thought Avi couldn't shock me any further :eek:

Avi if you want to be Arthur's horse then you be Arthur's horse.. don't let us normal peple interfer with your dreams ;):D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just when I thought Avi couldn't shock me any further :eek:

Avi if you want to be Arthur's horse then you be Arthur's horse.. don't let us normal peple interfer with your dreams ;):D:D

LOL (literally).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D

When is Arthur coming out for a ride?

Early afternoon, when he's finished lunch. I believe him and Merlin were going to go on a hunting trip. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smint wrote: »
    Well, Lowri, you may have the attributes of a lady, but more important is your genealogy

Are your parents of noble birth or are you married to a lord?

After all, Natarhi has most ladylike qualities but is not of noble birth, whereas there are some who hold the title of Lady . . .

Well my father's father's father's grandfather's cousin was married to the Lord of Monmouth, does that count? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you going to be Llamrei or Hengroen . . . or are you his spare mare . . . or a different kind of horse (with a silent w)? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you going to be Llamrei or Hengroen . . . or are you his spare mare . . . or a different kind of horse (with a silent w)? ;)

How very dare you? :eek:

I am Avi (of course) and very much a one man mare. Although, if my owner wishes to lend me to any of his goodly knights to ride, then I am hardly in a position to say no, am I?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my father's father's father's grandfather's cousin was married to the Lord of Monmouth, does that count? ;)

I think that will do nicely :)

Lady Star, if you are in agreement, we should welcome Lady Lowri into the clique that is the Camelot Ladies Inner Chamber (or CLIC)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Gosh, I think we are in the presence of near royalty, if that is the case. Between you and moleymo with her castle, I feel I am moving in exalted circles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that will do nicely

Lady Star, if you are in agreement, we should welcome Lady Lowri into the clique that is the Camelot Ladies Inner Chamber (or CLIC)
    Well my father's father's father's grandfather's cousin was married to the Lord of Monmouth, does that count?

That counts....

Lady Lowri :D

:eek: Smint!

*giggles*
    How very dare you? :eek:

I am Avi (of course) and very much a one man mare. Although, if my owner wishes to lend me to any of his goodly knights to ride, then I am hardly in a position to say no, am I?

I'm literally crying with laughter here :D:cry::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that will do nicely :)

Is there a Camelot Ladies Inner Toilet, too?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, not if you're on all fours, no ;)

You might want to get some tips from a chapter coming up soon in NOTRT :)