Dev crying

Comments

• sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think some of the hospital scenes were rather hammy, but I thought he did a great job last night. I found it very believable and I even cried a bit when his little boy ran over to hug him. :o
  • pattycakepattycake Posts: 4,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    What like the one who plays Steve McDonald, Jason, Eileen, Jason, Tim, Owen, Ryan, Rob, Declan in Emmerdale, Oh I forgot none of the one Asian and Black actors can act because they are given shitty scripts.

i don't often post on the soap forum but i have to say, you really have a problem don't you!!
  • JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew people would comment on his crying. Crying is supposed to be raw emotion to the extent where you feel embarrassed seeing someone doing it. I thought he did well.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    I hope you guys tape your real crying when something bad happens to you and youtube it for us to see, what a rediculous thread.

What would that prove :confused: I don't see how it would help with the racist angle.

Dev is very poor but at least unlike the rest of the very poor actors in soaps he makes me laugh so I approve :D
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pattycake wrote: »
    i don't often post on the soap forum but i have to say, you really have a problem don't you!!

#desperatelyseekingracism :rolleyes:
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow! Some extremely intelligent responses.:rolleyes:Do I care, not really. But I know I wouldnt call someone a saddo, dearranged or stupid on a public forum. I would check the rules of posting.
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow! Some extremely intelligent responses.:rolleyes:Do I care, not really. But I know I wouldnt call someone a saddo, dearranged or stupid on a public forum. I would check the rules of posting.

Yet you're happy to call people racist on a public forum, which is far worse IMHO. You might want to take your own advice and check the rules of posting.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You just accuse everyone of being racist instead.:rolleyes:

Edit..beaten to it by andybear.:D
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't see how it's possible to give an intelligent response to senseless ramblings, but I'll have a go.

Racism is a real problem in some parts of society. It is something that hopefully one day will disappear altogether and everyone will live peacefully regardless of colour or creed.

In the meantime, however, it has got absolutely nothing to do with the perception that Dev is played by a poor actor, and this kind of argument does nothing to help eradicate racism. In fact, it trivialises the problem and, if anything, could potentially harm the cause. People get bored when they see the race card being played, where racism doesn't exist.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sofieellis wrote: »
    I don't see how it's possible to give an intelligent response to senseless ramblings, but I'll have a go.

Racism is a real problem in some parts of society. It is something that hopefully one day will disappear altogether and everyone will live peacefully regardless of colour or creed.

In the meantime, however, it has got absolutely nothing to do with the perception that Dev is played by a poor actor, and this kind of argument does nothing to help eradicate racism. In fact, it trivialises the problem and, if anything, could potentially harm the cause. People get bored when they see the race card being played, where racism doesn't exist.

Agreed. What it also does is to insult and potentially offend all fms who have the temerity to dislike a particular actor who happens to be non-white, who are then branded racists.

Ahh, what's the point? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really dont recall in any of my posts saying to a poster 'You are a racist'. Have I openly accussed anyone? NO! I have asked for a reasoned argument and have got none. Now I know I was really silly IMO to come to a soaps forum, but then what did I expect? No doubt I will get some poster saying I am asking for sympathy and want people to feel sorry for me.

For my Masters in Media, Culture and Communication I was required me to do some reasearch and I stupidly
    chose the soaps forum because I have been using DS for many years. But have never been called mentally unbalanced, stupid, a saddo etc until the last 4 months but then each to their own.:( I personally dont think I am any of those things.:)
  • SelenaSelena Posts: 29,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the thing is at one time or another lots of actors get criticised on here. You seem to be focusing on just the actors from non-white backgrounds but plenty of white actors who get negative posts on here. Seriously if you think the posts/threads on Dev are bad try reading a thread about Sean Tully/ Antony Cotton.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Selena wrote: »
    But the thing is at one time or another lots of actors get criticised on here. You seem to be focusing on just the actors from non-white backgrounds but plenty of white actors who get negative posts on here. Seriously if you think the posts/threads on Dev are bad try reading a thread about Sean Tully/ Antony Cotton.

I know I am. Oh BTW thank you for a reasoned post:). Yes I have read the thread about Sean Tully.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    I really dont recall in any of my posts saying to a poster 'You are a racist'. Have I openly accussed anyone? NO! I have asked for a reasoned argument and have got none. Now I know I was really silly IMO to come to a soaps forum, but then what did I expect? No doubt I will get some poster saying I am asking for sympathy and want people to feel sorry for me.

For my Masters in Media, Culture and Communication I was required me to do some reasearch and I stupidly
    chose the soaps forum because I have been using DS for many years. But have never been called mentally unbalanced, stupid, a saddo etc until the last 4 months but then each to their own.:( I personally dont think I am any of those things.:)

You have explained this but you haven't given any empirical evidence to back up your statement that only or mainly non white actors / characters get criticised. I know you were asked for this but you didn't provide it so your assertion is undermined.

Having said that if you could demonstrate that more non white actors get criticised than white you would then have look at which posters and if it was the same ones and then you'd have to include into your research the possibility that that one or 2 posters have multiple accounts.

Basically it isn't possible to do empirical research on here so it's your judgement and it's a polemical one so people are entitled to judge that and you're right you've not labelled any individual racist, instead you've thrown it out there to everyone so you can't blame the angry defensive reaction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have explained this but you haven't given any empirical evidence to back up your statement that only or mainly non white actors / characters get criticised. I know you were asked for this but you didn't provide it so your assertion is undermined.

Having said that if you could demonstrate that more non white actors get criticised than white you would then have look at which posters and if it was the same ones and then you'd have to include into your research the possibility that that one or 2 posters have multiple accounts.

Basically it isn't possible to do empirical research on here so it's your judgement and it's a polemical one so people are entitled to judge that and you're right you've not labelled any individual racist, instead you've thrown it out there to everyone so you can't blame the angry defensive reaction.

I know soaps and particularly soap forums are not a direct way of gaining knowledge for empirical research. For my empirical research I have conducted interviews, surveys and even workshops and TBH had a better response. I wanted to discuss the issues of actors of certain culture without resorting to polemics on the forums but it didn’t work. . But hey I didn’t expect to be called all sorts of names. On that note I think I am going to bow out of the forums for a while because I am finding myself getting addicted to posting just for the sake of posting and getting a defensive reaction which has not been very nice IMO.
  • AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think most people seem to have more or less an affection for Dev, whether they regard him as being a good actor or not.Who is really watching him thinking that they don't like him because he's Indian?So you're basically saying that someone can't be critiscized without it being racially motivated? If a person from another race comes to live in our society is it not fair that they should be equally either praised or found fault with as anyone else?Should they be given a special status that makes them immune to judgement and if so do you think this is perhaps a bit (or a lot) unfair on the white,native born people, who by default become more prone to predjudice if this is the case, and then they will develop resentment for the person of the other nationality in turn?You can't have some people more equal than others. Maybe you cannot see that people generally treat other people as individuals first and only members of another culture secondly through conversing together. It's not very nice to try and infer anyone is racist, we should all be proud of our own race and celebrate the different races of others at the same time and wish for them to be as proud of their own. People can't help being white either you know.Variety is the spice of life and all that:) I think you should consider if you have the wisdom or the capacity for understanding to be doing a degree on this subject? Or maybe you should question your influences and consider if the media spin on things which we are subject to on a daily basis is really as benevolent as we are led to believe and is maybe intentionally warping your perspective on things.I think anyone in your field should first and foremostly be trying to understand the influence and agenda of the media on social concepts and human behaviour and also what their purpose is. We are all being indoctrinated but to what ends?Just saying.
  • Pat13Pat13 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At first I did think it was a strange way to cry but, bearing in mind his children would have been asleep upstairs I decided he was probably trying to cry quietly so they wouldn't hear him. I have done much the same myself when I don't want neighbours to hear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndreaMC wrote: »
    I think most people seem to have more or less an affection for Dev, whether they regard him as being a good actor or not.Who is really watching him thinking that they don't like him because he's Indian?So you're basically saying that someone can't be critiscized without it being racially motivated? If a person from another race comes to live in our society is it not fair that they should be equally either praised or found fault with as anyone else?Should they be given a special status that makes them immune to judgement and if so do you think this is perhaps a bit (or a lot) unfair on the white,native born people, who by default become more prone to predjudice if this is the case, and then they will develop resentment for the person of the other nationality in turn?You can't have some people more equal than others. Maybe you cannot see that people generally treat other people as individuals first and only members of another culture secondly through conversing together. It's not very nice to try and infer anyone is racist, we should all be proud of our own race and celebrate the different races of others at the same time and wish for them to be as proud of their own. People can't help being white either you know.Variety is the spice of life and all that:) I think you should consider if you have the wisdom or the capacity for understanding to be doing a degree on this subject? Or maybe you should question your influences and consider if the media spin on things which we are subject to on a daily basis is really as benevolent as we are led to believe and is maybe intentionally warping your perspective on things.I think anyone in your field should first and foremostly be trying to understand the influence and agenda of the media on social concepts and human behaviour and also what their purpose is. We are all being indoctrinated but to what ends?Just saying.

I dont think anyone else should be telling me about my capacity to undertake a masters in my chosen subject. I know what I am capable of. I could take your comments very badly but choose not to.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't my intention to cause offence, I actually hoped my comment would provoke some thought on the topic. But I do think that you would do well to do some soul searching and question as to why you have the concerns which you do.:)
  • gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never really had much of an opinion on Dev and thought the acting of the character could be hit or miss, but I've been quite impressed by him during this storyline.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dev is doing a brilliant job. He takes what he's doing to heart and watching him would leave you in no doubt that he is a suffering, heartbroken widower who is in the depths of despair. Unlike some other actors who can't even pretend that they are really in their own characters shoes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndreaMC wrote: »
    It wasn't my intention to cause offence, I actually hoped my comment would provoke some thought on the topic. But I do think that you would do well to do some soul searching and question as to why you have the concerns which you do.:)

None taken:):) I do have some concerns but not to extent of making any difference to my lifestyle. I never used to visit the soap forums. Infact I didnt even watch soaps as ardently as I do. But once I started my masters I had to some some research and I thought I was going for the easy option but TBH made a terrible choice and now looks like I am stuck with my choice. However, in the process I did not realise I was going to get addicted to posting on a forum. I am almost done.:)

But there is one think I have learnt. I mustnt visit too many sites with soap forums. I have found it hard to keep away from them.:D
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read all these threads with a smile.No one
    mentioned anyone elses race,religion or creed
    simply the fact that the 'actor' playing Dev
    simply CANNOT act for toffee! Like the other
    hate figure in the same soap.Sean who is a
    terrible ham and must have set back any sort
    of gay camaigning ,twenty years with his
    Mr Humphries type posturing!
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    I think he has done well in this storyline, Jimmi is an underrated actor in this show. At least he can cry better and show real tears and play a broken man. Perhaps the likes of (and this will be unpopular) Rita should take a leaf out his book, or some of the others, who are not really that good when playing emotions but get praised for simply being in it many years.

Plus I must be in the minority who doesn't find his sniffing "hilarious". People cry in different ways.

...I agree.

I too think that Dev has done very well in this SL and I have found his grief and his sniff sniff crying totally believable (I am biased though because I have always liked Dev) - it just goes to show how we all see things differently.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timebug wrote: »
    I read all these threads with a smile.No one
    mentioned anyone elses race,religion or creed
    simply the fact that the 'actor' playing Dev
    simply CANNOT act for toffee! Like the other
    hate figure in the same soap.Sean who is a
    terrible ham and must have set back any sort
    of gay camaigning ,twenty years with his
    Mr Humphries type posturing!

Yes that's your opinion some think he can't and some do, I think he is great actor and the threads mocking his emotional scenes are getting boring.