Options

It looks like Shona McGarty is leaving EastEnders

HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
Forum Member
Take a look at Shona McGarty (@ShonaBM): https://twitter.com/ShonaBM?s=09

On her twitter profile page all reference to the bbc is gone and it's been updated recently with details on how to contact her agent with other work opportunities and I don't think it means public appearances at nightclubs..

When Khali Best joined twitter with no BBC link and Chunky Venn and numerous others removed bbc info and /or added other contact details for work offers their departures were announced shortly afterwards...

Comments

• Options
    zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its best she moves on as there is nowhere her character can go and she will always be a background character
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think its best she moves on as there is nowhere her character can go and she will always be a background character

It does feel like the writers are struggling unless she's just not seen as a priority so they don't try?
  • Options
    dulliredullire Posts: 20,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A pity as she's been great in the past two episodes. With Lucy and Lauren absent, she should be being pushed to the forefront. Ditto Lola.

Mature Whitney is very watchable and Shona is a decent actress. If she is leaving then I hope she's successful. She's a talented woman.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't like her character so I don't care but it's a waste of quite a good actress.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does feel like the writers are struggling unless she's just not seen as a priority so they don't try?

I think the problem was the previous producers put all the eggs in one basket with the abuse storyline and it shows when the only other big storyline she had was also a abuse storyline
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's had two major stories which were good... But what else will she be remembered for
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed: but I am disgusted with how Dtc tears Africa and character and even fans like this by not using them/or their favourites and Axing them/making them feel like they should leave and leading them to quit just because they aren't his favorites and he'd rather waste money on big names.

This rate ee next year will be:
    Mick, Shirley, Linda, Tina, Nancy and babe with one celeb star a week. Everyone else will be gone or just reverted to be an extra like Tracey, shrimpy and winston.
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kinda obvious really - that whole family are going I think.

Its weird because she was after Stacey, the best young female in the cast but as been shafted back to the background - partly her own fault - all the suspensions she has had but she is 400% better than Nancy and Lee and with Lucy dead and Lauren gone it is surprising.

I would rather keep butchers on the show then the frecking Carters.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't think the producer is very keen on the younger females at all apart from abi

Cindy has gone missing again
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the problem was the previous producers put all the eggs in one basket with the abuse storyline and it shows when the only other big storyline she had was also a abuse storyline

Perhaps your right but the character does seem neglected and just pushed by writers to have a boyfriend and no new imagination beyond that?
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A talented young Actress- she has been wasted by DTC, I think her time is up on EE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Don't think the producer is very keen on the younger females at all apart from abi

Cindy has gone missing again

And Nancy?
  • Options
    paxton7paxton7 Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame because I like Shona but they havent ever really developed Whitney's personality. Compare her to Kat in her first stint - sexual abuse played a big part in defining Kat but she also had a lot of well defined personality traits which Whitney doesnt seem to.
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe a new family will move into the Walford tardis
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    A talented young Actress- she has been wasted by DTC, I think her time is up on EE.

Im sorry but you cant blame DTC none of the producers have really bothered about her apart from 2 abuse storylines
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    What a waste, but then they've been wasting her for years now. That's Lucy, Johnny, Dexter, Peter, (Lauren), Liam and now Whitney....I expect Lola to be axed next.
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Well that's just great. Well done DTC. Why not just get rid of all the pre-existing characters and make everyone a ****ing Carter?
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Patsy palmer leaving is probably the catalyst to this tbh
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    What a waste, but then they've been wasting her for years now. That's Lucy, Johnny, Dexter, Peter, (Lauren), Liam and now Whitney....I expect Lola to be axed next.

Lola has been relegated to little more than a guest character these days.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im sorry but you cant blame DTC none of the producers have really bothered about her apart from 2 abuse storylines

Atleast they sti used her as a supporting role though. She barely features under Dtc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    Maybe a new family will move into the Walford tardis

Claudette and Co?
  • Options
    Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If true good luck to her she is better off away from the Carter show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Patsy palmer leaving is probably the catalyst to this tbh

It would certainly have played a key role. When Patsy left in 2010 they found a way to keep the character vital without Bianca for about a year but it seems either that was only possible once or they never capitalised this time on the chance to really do this?
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A waste, IMO. Whitney had a fair bit of potential than never really went anywhere as after the prostitution plot she was just saddled with one deadwood boyfriend after another. DTC clearly never rated her, for whatever reason. Even being paired up with one of his beloved Carters apparently wasn't enough to save her.
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's obviously been stuff going on with her BTS, hence why she was set up to play a major part in the Lucy storyline but then got shelved for months out the blue.

Not everything is the producer's fault.

I'm not a Whitney fan, so I guess I am maybe more que sera, sera with this, but the character has been treading water for years.