Your the new show runner

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
Forum Member
Hi, not sure if this has been done before so sorry if it has, but would love to know what kind of show we would get if you got the job as show runner. You can let your imagination run wild it's not likely to happen is it. For fun budget has to taken into consideration so no series of 50 episodes!

I'll start by having an older doctor with the mystery brought back. I would have two companions.
Broadcast in September 6 double episodes with cliffhangers leading into Xmas special. A return to more traditional titles with the orginal music or very similar - more scary than the programme sometimes.
Less story arcs and earth bound stories limited. Basically a story about a bumbling mysterious man who doesn't know where he's going from one week to next and try's in vain to return his companions home. A split of new monsters and old.
Limit the daleks to one story every few years s when they return its special event.
A new arch humanoid enemy but not a renegade time lord.
And finally less reliance on that damm screwdriver. Use your wits man.
Sounds like doctor who from the hartnell years apart from the daleks lol.

Comments

• mccolloughmccollough Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    I would have a 13 part uninterrupted series once a year with a christmas special. I would cast Damien Maloney as the Doctor. I would have a team of three companions, A human couple, and an Alien.

I would have a light arch involving a new enemy, like you I'd like to see a new arch enemy who can return
  • LeslieGruffordLeslieGrufford Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    One 300 minute episode a week, featuring Linda Lusardi as the Doctor and a CGI Buster Merrifield as the companion.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    A slightly older Doctor, played by somebody in their mid or late 30s.
    An overseas companion, with a second companion of another time/planet.
    Less Earth-based stories, and the few that are set on Earth to explore parts of the world that have largely been ignored in the series, such as Australia and Africa.
    More alien civilisations.
    The Time Lords return, which sees The Doctor once again on the run from his own people.

There's been a few suggestions recently of purely historical episodes, with little or no sci-fi elements. That's something else I would like to see.
  • MikaRimmerMikaRimmer Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd start by keeping Clara for as long as I possibly can, and having a few recurring characters in the show, these would be Martha, Mickey, Vastra, Jenny, Strax, Kate-Lethbridge-Stewart, and on occassions Captain Jack. I'd have the basic set up of Doctor, Clara and then a new companion every so often (i.e. series). The Doctor because he's the Doctor of course, Clara so that viewers have a familiar face, and the new companion so that new viewers will be able to relate to them and that there is still a fresh element in the show every so often.The Daleks would be taking a break for a while, they're way too overused. I'd create a webisodes too which involve old companions and showing the audience what they got up too after travelling with the Doctor.
    Anyway as for the recurring character, Martha is a personal favourite of mine, she really helped the Doctor during her time on the show by helping him through a healing a process and also displaying her capabilities in The Last of the Timelords. Now she's also matured so I think she would make a brilliant recurring character that the Doctor can call upon, plus if the earth is in trouble, she's one of the only people capable of contacting him through the phone. Mickey because he's now married to Martha and their off protecting the world together. Vastra, Jenny and Strax because they make a brilliant trio in my opinion and are also great characters to have to liven up episode set in the past. Kate, along with Martha and Mickey would be great to have in present day settings and she's a good character and brilliant reference to her father. And Jack's Jack, although his appearances would be smaller and lesser in comparison to the others.
  • ryanellisryanellis Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    10x60-minute episodes (extended premiere and finale)
    1x75-minute Christmas special
    1x75-minute New Year's Day special
    1x75-minute Easter special
    3x60-minute Spin-off/Lost Tales (A separate commission, I'll elaborate later...)

And I'd bring back 45-minute Confidentials for every episode! And the FULL versions would be present on the Blu-ray's/DVD's!

The series would look something like this in structure:

1 - 2 - 3 - 4+5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9+10 - XMAS - NEW YEAR - EASTER - SPIN-OFF/LOST TALES (might have 3 two-parters?)

The 10 episodes would air in one block from September - November, the specials filling in the gap in the year. I'd want the standard episodes to be an hour so they can have a better resolution and feel less rushed!

Every episode would be shot in 3D.

During the Summer between the Easter special and September start there would be a three-part mini-series, each episode being like a Doctor-lite episode, absolutely no involvement of The Doctor or companion, but these episodes would take place within the Whoniverse, and feature monsters, or old characters etc. Maybe a Cybermen origin story? Heck these episodes could even be called "Lost Tales" and feature "unseen" episodes from previous Doctors! Who wouldn't love to see one more Tennant/Tate episode? A Malcolm Taylor one-off? Pete's World's Torchwood? McGann! Hello! It would be like Black Mirror but Who!

If I could chose ANYONE to be The Doctor, I'd choose Christopher Lloyd, yes it's a bit self indulgent, but I've always thought that Doc Brown should be some sort of alternate universe Doctor, so that's what I'd want. I just really want a 'nutty professor' type Doctor. I'd love John Noble (if you haven't watched Fringe - please do!) I'd go further with this whole BTTF/Nutty Scientist and his young friends route by having a guy in his 20's (e.g. Marty) as a love interest for Clara, and the three of them travel around through time and space etc! If JLC left I'd cast Hayley Atwell.

If I had to go down the younger route, I'd choose someone like Ben Whishaw, although to be honest I'd probably rather someone in their 40's. Heck, let's make The Doctor ginger! That would be fantastic! :D

I'd probably dabble with a light season arc, be it something like Bad Wolf, maybe I'd do something like Series 4 and 5 and have an element from practically every episode come back in the finale. Or I'd go for something like The Key To Time season, perhaps say a navigation system of the TARDIS has been stolen and The Doctor and companions have to travel the universe gathering items to rebuild one or they'll never be able to return to the companion's timezone? Something like that!

Also, Zygons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Absolutely love the idea of the lost tales. So much scope there and bridges the empty months till who returns - you can start Monday mate!
  • ryanellisryanellis Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    woody121 wrote: »
    Absolutely love the idea of the lost tales. So much scope there and bridges the empty months till who returns - you can start Monday mate!

It's what I've been thinking of lately! All the untold stories that could be filled in! We could even have a Tom Baker episode in which he is aged and must find the cure (I can wish!) And the great thing is about these episodes are that they don't require filming from the principal actors! If I was in charge of the 50th (and there wasn't the problem of actors ageing, or having sadly passed on) I would have had a series of ten episodes, each featuring an unseen adventure with a respective Doctor, running throughout the Summer! :D
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    13-part series of 50 minute episodes from August Bank Holiday weekend to late November, with the nearest to Oct 31st being a suitably scary ep for Halloween

Standalone Xmas special penned by a guest writer such as Neil Gaiman etc.

3x75 minute specials airing at Easter and the two May holiday weekends

Also maybe ..... 5-part 8th Doctor series done in the classic format, broadcast over the course of a week and leading into a 90minute TVmovie on the Saturday night ending on the 8-9 regeneration.

:)
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I'm going to presume for the thread that Moffat has quit following a two-part Christmas story that aired on Xmas Day and New Year's Day. We've still got Matt Smith in the role, we still have Jenna as the companion, the Doctor still hasn't had his final meeting with River Song, and I'm in charge of Series 8.

So, Series 8...

- Starring Matt Smith and Jenna Louise Coleman

- 13 episodes. A two-part story early on and a two-part finale.

- Filming in Australia on two or three episodes.

- The Zygons. A rural village where legend says the residents all mysteriously died on the same day. Only The Doctor thinks that there's something more peculiar than that, and that the very village itself might actually be alive.

- The Wonders of Time Travel. Set in the future, it is a comedic episode that features a famous movie director inspired to make a movie about the myths and legends of the world of The Doctor. The story works a bit like 'Thirty Two Short Films About Glenn Gould'.

- Triangle/Whatever Happened to Flight 19?. 2-parter...You can guess the topic at hand - the story involves the TARDIS getting caught by a distortion in the time vortex like a fly on a web, which is how they end up stranded in the Triangle. It is a dark tale, similar in tone to The Satan Pit.

- The Fall. A spiritual successor to Mawdryn Undead, the story involves The Doctor being impersonated by an unknown entity who gains Clara's trust and leaves him behind. The story charts the epic adventure The Doctor goes on to reclaim his Tardis and his companion.

- The House At The Edge of the World sees The Doctor and Clara visit a house that sits on the literal edge of a world, veering off into the stars. It's inhabitants are a now deceased time-travelling adventurer couple whose remains are found sat together in the house. Little do The Doctor and Clara know that they have landed in the middle of the couple's final adventure as well - have you ever looked up at a dark cloud and felt like something was watching you back? What is it that is lurking in the belly of the beast?
    A spooky, but heart-warming and bittersweet story, which tries to suggest that 'death is only the beginning'.

Strange Suburbia is another comedic episode which sees a small community disrupted by a spaceship that crash landed without leaving any trace of its existence. The Doctor listens to all the wacky interpretations of events from that night, to try and reach a conclusion. But whatever it is that landed has got plans of its own.

Angels and Demons / The Dark Space is the series finale. It sees The Doctor, Clara, River and The Paternoster Gang all summoned into a trap in Victorian London. Here, the weeping angels descend and scatter them all across time. This leads to a two-part story set across a variety of places and time zones as they all attempt to send messages through time to get back together, all the while being hunted by the angels who hope to dispel them across time even further. Only once united, the plans of the angels have escalated, and the remains of the Earth are a dark notion indeed.
    Filming in Cardiff, London, Australia and a fourth country as well with some foreign footage doubling for alien worlds too. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    A slightly older Doctor, played by somebody in their mid or late 30s. QUOTE]

As a 40 something I take exception to this.:cry:
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    ncr1969 wrote: »
    As a 40 something I take exception to this.:cry:

Well, I wouldn't object to a 40 something playing the part either. CE was early 40s during his tenure, and he was, well, fantastic! :)

I said somebody mid to late 30s because it would be a less radical jump from Matt's Doctor, who looks late 20s/early 30s.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to presume for the thread that Moffat has quit following a two-part Christmas story that aired on Xmas Day and New Year's Day. We've still got Matt Smith in the role, we still have Jenna as the companion, the Doctor still hasn't had his final meeting with River Song, and I'm in charge of Series 8.

So, Series 8...

- Starring Matt Smith and Jenna Louise Coleman

- 13 episodes. A two-part story early on and a two-part finale.

- Filming in Australia on two or three episodes.

- The Zygons. A rural village where legend says the residents all mysteriously died on the same day. Only The Doctor thinks that there's something more peculiar than that, and that the very village itself might actually be alive.

- The Wonders of Time Travel. Set in the future, it is a comedic episode that features a famous movie director inspired to make a movie about the myths and legends of the world of The Doctor. The story works a bit like 'Thirty Two Short Films About Glenn Gould'.

- Triangle/Whatever Happened to Flight 19?. 2-parter...You can guess the topic at hand - the story involves the TARDIS getting caught by a distortion in the time vortex like a fly on a web, which is how they end up stranded in the Triangle. It is a dark tale, similar in tone to The Satan Pit.

- The Fall. A spiritual successor to Mawdryn Undead, the story involves The Doctor being impersonated by an unknown entity who gains Clara's trust and leaves him behind. The story charts the epic adventure The Doctor goes on to reclaim his Tardis and his companion.

- The House At The Edge of the World sees The Doctor and Clara visit a house that sits on the literal edge of a world, veering off into the stars. It's inhabitants are a now deceased time-travelling adventurer couple whose remains are found sat together in the house. Little do The Doctor and Clara know that they have landed in the middle of the couple's final adventure as well - have you ever looked up at a dark cloud and felt like something was watching you back? What is it that is lurking in the belly of the beast?
    A spooky, but heart-warming and bittersweet story, which tries to suggest that 'death is only the beginning'.

Strange Suburbia is another comedic episode which sees a small community disrupted by a spaceship that crash landed without leaving any trace of its existence. The Doctor listens to all the wacky interpretations of events from that night, to try and reach a conclusion. But whatever it is that landed has got plans of its own.

Angels and Demons / The Dark Space is the series finale. It sees The Doctor, Clara, River and The Paternoster Gang all summoned into a trap in Victorian London. Here, the weeping angels descend and scatter them all across time. This leads to a two-part story set across a variety of places and time zones as they all attempt to send messages through time to get back together, all the while being hunted by the angels who hope to dispel them across time even further. Only once united, the plans of the angels have escalated, and the remains of the Earth are a dark notion indeed.
    Filming in Cardiff, London, Australia and a fourth country as well with some foreign footage doubling for alien worlds too. :)

I love all these hypothetical episode synopsizes, some of them I'd want to see expanded upon.

I think I'll give it a try

1. The Blood Galaxy (Future, Space Station Sunset)(Part 1)
    The Doctor and Clara arrive on The Sunset, a space station used to mine minerals on the acidic planet below. Things seem to be suspicious on the mining shuttles, but only get worse: In 24 hours, the entire solar system, and all its inhabited planets, will be destroyed in the bloodiest battle of the Sontaran-Ruton War.

2. Tales of War (Future, Space Station Sunset, Sontaran/Ruton Battleships)(Part 2)
    With Clara on the Sontarans' ship, and him on the Rutons', the Doctor must try to get them to take their battle somewhere where no innocents will be killed. But who is Miss Red, and why is she trying to go for 100% casualties for everyone?

3. The Great Space Heist (Future, Bank)
    Rather confusing to the Doctor, Clara wants to see how banks in the future work. Fine, but sadly the day they decide to check it out is the day it gets robbed. Can they protect the hostages and defeat this space-age Bonnie and Clyde?

4. Tales of the Rock (1500, Ayers Rock)
    The Doctor and Clara arrive in Australia's past, and find that the great rock, Uluru, is nowhere to be seen. Do the natives have a clue on where it's gone, and why is it a bad idea for it to be returned? It seems that everything in Australia is out to kill everything else.

5. Tales of Famine (1850, Ireland)
    Arriving during a terrible period in Ireland's history, the Doctor and Clara discover someone named Mr. Brown, and he wants the Irish to starve, and may very well be the cause.

6. The Spread of Axos (Future, Alien Planet Hennith)(Part 1)
    Deciding to recharge the TARDIS on planet close to a rift, the Doctor is shocked to see the local military actually trying to open it. What's worse, the Axos have their own plans for it. But is there something else lurking in the shadows?

7. The Hole in Space (Future, Alien Planet Hennith)
    The Axos are defeated, but the Master has returned. With the rift tearing open, the world is close to being swallowed. What just does the Master need it for? The Doctor must deal with his old foe, while Clara is trapped inside the TARDIS, the Master's TARDIS that is.

8. Shock Factor (1752, Philadelphia)
    The Doctor and Clara may have accidentally erased Benjamin Franklin from history. With the TARDIS out of commission, can they restore the founding father to the web of time before he's meant to discover electricity? Or is mankind doomed to stay in darkness?

9. Tales of Pestilence (Future, Alien Planet Theon IV)
    The once great capital of Theon IV is rotted with sickness, and the Doctor has a hunch. With the help of a new friend, can they defeat Mr. Green and get some answers?

10. The Nimbus Revolution (Future, Alien Planet, Cloud City Nimbus)
    On the request of the new Companion, the Doctor takes him and Clara a place he's always wanted to see: Cloud City Nimbus! A paradise in the sky! Unfortunately, the attacking dragon seems to be putting a bit of a downer on things.

11. The Red-Eyed Mouse (3003, Japan)
    Somehow, to the Doctor's amazement, he now finds himself the leader of a gang of cyborg samurais, and must somehow stage a robbery of cybernetics lest his Companions die. Can he use a cyber-sword with Venusian Aikido?

12.Tales of Death (Modern Day Earth)(Part 1)
    Seven Billion people dead. Every man, woman and child, all gone. Miss Black laughs. The Master screams. The Companions plead. The Doctor...

13. The End (????)(Part 2)
    Once upon a time, the Doctor saved the life of a child. This was the greatest mistake of his life, and now the universe must suffer. Can it be saved? Is it right to save it?
  • thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One 300 minute episode a week, featuring Linda Lusardi as the Doctor and a CGI Buster Merrifield as the companion.

You've got the job!
  • thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few ideas

1. The doctor's birthday

The doctor and companion arrive in a sleepy seaside town out of season. His companion goes off to buy the dr a "birthday present" whilst the dr realises there is a time storm disrupting the town. When his companion returns with an unusual fob watch, does this have a connection to the storm?

2. The Dawn of Angels

A sanatorium during the First World War, and a mysterious cult trying to resurrect an ancient evil.

3. The Magic Box

A doctor lite story. A street urchin is whisked away on a life time adventure in the TARDIS.

4. The Beagle

What caused Captain Pringle Stokes to commit suicide? What did the crew of the Beagle find in South America? How did Darwin arrive at his theory of Evolution? And what has it all got to do with the Dr?
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First of all, I'd reinstate the 13 episode run per year complete with three two-parters even if it means I have to challenge someone at the BBC to a duel.

One idea I have for a two-parter (episodes 4 and 5) is a story which features Davros and delves more into his back story. The first part would end with two armies of Daleks showing up (the bronze ones and the multi-coloured ones) about attack each other and the second part would involve the Doctor having to team up with Davros to stop the warring Dalek factions and save the galaxy. To tie the two episodes together, the Daleks would be fighting over something from Davros' past which was dealt with in part 1.

I'd also love to have a story which does something similar to the House season 4 finale (which is one of the best pieces of television ever, IMO). Basically, the premise is that the Doctor wakes up injured and alone and has no memory of the past few hours and over the course of the episode, he slowly pieces together the events of the day before until finally the episode ends on a shocking revelation and a cliffhanger. Obviously to avoid plagiarism, this basic premise would need to be taken and adapted into a Doctor Who story which was suitably original.

Finally, I'd have the Doctor Who novel "Touched by an Angel" by Jonathan Morris adapted into a one part story.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm the new showrunner?

Not a good idea putting me in charge. The show would become such fanw*nk that the casual viewers would desert in droves, and the BBC would probably end up cancelling the programme.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm the new showrunner?

Not a good idea putting me in charge. The show would become such fanw*nk that the casual viewers would desert in droves, and the BBC would probably end up cancelling the programme.

LOL. It wouldn't be a good idea for me to be in charge either - I'd have frequent appearances by the 10th Doctor, and get slated.

On second thoughts, who cares if I get slated if it means seeing the 10th Doctor? Yes, put me in charge!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    I'm the new showrunner?

That applies to everyone on Doctor Who forums. Some of us know it.... bizarrely, not enough. :)
  • ukgnomeukgnome Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard Osman should be the new show runner exec type of bloke thingy
  • mark165mark165 Posts: 133
    Forum Member

"During the Time War..."
  • jackamakkajackamakka Posts: 4,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I were Showrunner... well.

I'll just say I take over in 2014. The main plan for a four year tenure would be:

5-part Time War series, co-written by Russell T Davies (since he came up with the idea), featuring Paul McGann (episodes 1 - 4) and Christopher Eccleston (episode 5). Broadcast once a month from April. So April, May, June, July, finale in August. 60 minutes episode 1-4, 75 minute finale.

Series 8, in continuity with 2013's Christmas Special. Starring Jamie Bell as the Twelfth Doctor, Emily Glenister as Julia Green, Jenna-Louise Coleman as Clara Oswald and Daniela Denby-Ashe as Melanie Trousse (see "Create your own Series 8 thread for more details)

From May 2015:
    8.1 - The Mystery of the Doctor (Pt 1)
    8.2 - The Elusive Blue Box (Pt 2)
    8.3 - The Challenge
    8.4 - Shadows of the Fields
    8.5 - Army of the Daleks

Mid-Series break

From July 2015:
    8.6 - Surveillance
    8.7 - The Blackout (Pt 1)
    8.8 - The Dark Universe (Pt 2)
    8.9 - Return to the Planet of the Cybermen
    8.10 - The Oswald Legacy
    8.11 - Heart of the TARDIS
    8.12 - The Tenth Regeneration (Pt 1)
    8.13 - The Funeral of Clara Oswald (Pt 2)

Anniversary Special
    8.14 - Pride of the Time Lords

Christmas Special
    9.X - Silent Night

2016 - Series 9, with Jamie Bell (12th Doctor) and Daniela Denby-Ashe (Melanie Trousse)

2017 - Series 10, with David Thewis (13th Doctor) and Matthew Lewis (Ash Davies)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    What I would have:

1. 13 episodes in the Spring with a few two-parters starting at 7pm every Saturday for 45 minutes.
    2. A normal female companion in her twenties.
    3. A male Doctor aged around 30-45. Preferably someone like Aidan Turner.
    4. More Earth based stories and less awful CGI. Stories on Earth are much more realistic and scary.
    5. A simple but intruiging story arc. E.g. Bad Wolf.
    6. Christopher Eccleston's theme tune (2005-2007)
    7. Less use of the Sonic Screwdriver. Make the Doctor use his brain to save the day!
    8. Cut down on comedy and more drama. Cracking stupid jokes whilst being attacked by aliens is not believable.
    9. More time spent developing the companion's personality and getting to know their families and background. This way it is easier to relate to the character and therefore care more about what happens to them.
    10. Less silly episodes like Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and more exciting and frightening ones such as Midnight or The Empty Child.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm the new showrunner?

Are you JNT resurrected?