Options

Heron Alert!!

burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
Forum Member
✭✭
:eek: Just chased a heron off the side of the pond with one of our big Koi in it's mouth. The dog barked at it and it dropped the fish so I quickly put it back in the pond. Hope it's OK. I feel sorry for the heron because it's probably hungry.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: lucky koi! pleased you saved it. im sure the heron with find easy pickings at someone elses pond so it wont go hungry for long.
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only real way to stop herons is to completely cover the pond with a wire mesh.

My neighbour has erected a pergola over his large pond with a green wire mesh on top. It masks the pond from the sky.
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    he'll be back
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard that when they stand still in the water they release some sort of scent from their feet that attracts the fish.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    I heard that when they stand still in the water they release some sort of scent from their feet that attracts the fish.

Hey, so that's why it happens when I go swimming!
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »

I heard that but we've got the pond covered with some old fence panels and he got the fish out of the small gap betewen the panels and the edge of the pond. You should see it now - OH has put everything over the pond! We'll get some netting at the weekend.