Medion Sat Nav - Windows CE

IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have just realised that I can access Windows CE on my new Medion Sat Nav. By just typing the top of the screen in the main menu a few times, Windows Explorer appears.

As I can do this, is there any way of actually making the Sat Nav into a proper Palmtop computer and install software on it?

I've had a search on Google and there is a walkthough for getting an earlier Medion Sat Nav to work as a proper palmtop but it was for Windows CE 4.2 and my Sat Nav has Windows CE 5.0

Also everything I seem to do in Windows Explorer (such as change the startup wallpaper) is instantly lost as soon as I turn off the device.

The spec of the Sat Nav is:

Medion GoPal E3230
Samsung ARM920T-S3C2443 CPU (which according to one website is 400MHz)
61788 KB RAM
1.88 GB Flash Drive
Windows CE 5.0

Comments

• IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinnielo wrote: »

Thanks for the link.

The procedure on that websites does partly work, however, as it is for Windows CE 4.2 and not CE 5.0, there does seem to be a few differences.

I can get the registry changed and the taskbar/desktop shown, but once I have done that, it doesn't sync up with my computer any more. I have been into the control panel, checked the 'PC Connection' setting and they are all okay and I have hunted round until I found the syncing utility (that actually starts up the sync) called 'repllog' but whenever I click to start it up, I get the syncing window saying 'Connecting to Host' for a couple of seconds, then that disappears and nothing happens. However, if I do a full restart, everything is reset and all it syncs up fine.

Also, the procedure mentions creating shortcuts on the desktop. For some reason, Windows Vista won't allow me to create any shortcuts on the device, all I can do is Move and Copy files.