Options

Stephen King recommendation

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    The Stand and It are far and away my favourites. Also love Firestarter and the Dead Zone. Haven't really read a lot of his recent stuff though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member

Just finished it. Fantastic read. Time travel/butterfly effect stuff...not original but thrilling. Loved it.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read nearly all King's works up until his more recent. My favourite books are:

IT - His best work imo
    The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon - Great short book to get into. I love this becasue of it's simplicity
    Needful Things - Has a wonderful mixed bag cast of characters and is pretty much King's best nook of Castle Rock.
    and Pet Semetary - I actually found this one of his creepier books. And I like Creepy.
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    rybev wrote: »
    I've read a few SK in the past:

Pet Sematary, Misery, Carrie, Dolores Claiborne, Cujo.

Thinking of reading some more of his but not sure what to go for first.

Any suggestions?

Has to be The Shining, with the book being far better than the film and a satisfactory ending as opposed to the chaos at the end of the film! :)
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    The Stand is my favourite.

Also loved

Christine
    Dead Zone
    Firestarter
    Carrie

Currently reading The Shining for the first time. I am hooked on it and can't put it down!
  • Options
    My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love Stephen King, I've not read any of his stuff for ages - I must get back into him!

As someone else has mentioned, Four Past Midnight is good. I also enjoyed Insomnia and Bag of Bones as well as my all time favourite of his, The Stand. IT has to be the scariest book I've ever read! :o I'll have to read it again some day!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive just finished 11.22.63 and although not King's biggest fan I had read good reviews. I definitely wasn't disappointed, it's the first time when reading a book recently that I've literally had palpitations at key points in the books. I would recommend to anyone.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Salems Lot. My all time favourite book and therefore the best Stephen King novel imo. Night Shift (short stories) is also great.
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Creamtea wrote: »
    'Salems Lot. My all time favourite book and therefore the best Stephen King novel imo. Night Shift (short stories) is also great.

Of all the short story collections I think Night Shift is the best too
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Am I really the only one who rates The Shining? :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chinchin wrote: »
    Am I really the only one who rates The Shining? :(

I read it when I was a teenager - a long time ago - I did enjoy it but haven't felt the urge to read it again.
  • Options
    metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say the Dark Tower series. But if you're not up for that kind of length (7 books, soon to be 8), then The stand is the best of the rest that I've read.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forget the title of the story, but in one his collections, he has a report on his son's little league baseball team winning a local area championship

not horror at all, but a great read.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    The Stand - One of my favourites, great characters.
    The Shining - Far better than the movie.
    The Long Walk - If you like The Hunger Games, similar concept.
    The Langoliers - Short story from Four Past Midnight. Great Twilight Zone-esque tale.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    no one rates The Green Mile, or Shawshank (and the other novellas in that collection, whatever it's called) then?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read loads but "The Stand" & "The Long Walk" (Bachman) are the 2 that stand out for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love all things King but my faves are his latest 11/22/63 along with Duma Key, Bag of bones, The Stand and all the Dark Tower books. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to enjoy reading Stephen King, but then discovered that one book was remarkably similar to another, that the characters were badly developed, that the scenarios featured with the book were heavily contrived, and that the plots were formulaic. I eventually moved onto more competent and creative authors such as H P Lovecraft, Edgar Allen Poe and Clive Barker. Indeed, in watching the movie adaptation of Stephen King's "The Mist", I even noticed the appearance of H P Lovecrafts "Cthulhu" and "The Old Ones" through the rift in space-time.
  • Options
    highnalhighnal Posts: 2,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »
    I loved 'Rose Madder', until the last 50 pages, but it is well worth a read IMO.
    Totally different to any of his other books, but still Stephen King if you know what I mean?

Totally agree with this. I read this years back and remember being hooked at first and then it got weird!
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have only ever read the girl who loved tom gorden.
    I have seen lots of films, based on books written by Stephan king.

I don't know what to tell you about it. I enjoyed reading it, but there are much better books out there. I don't remember much about it, except that a nine year old girl, ran away, into the woods...
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forget the title of the story, but in one his collections, he has a report on his son's little league baseball team winning a local area championship

not horror at all, but a great read.

Nightmares and Dreamscapes I think that was in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I used to love Stephen King, I've not read any of his stuff for ages - I must get back into him!

As someone else has mentioned, Four Past Midnight is good.

Very underated isn't it ?

The Langoliers is my fave of the stories but they're all good
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    I love all things King but my faves are his latest 11/22/63 along with Duma Key, Bag of bones, The Stand and all the Dark Tower books. :)

I loved Bag of Bones. I had it on my shelf for a good couple of years before I read it. I put off reading it because some reviews said it was either dull, or far from his best.

I think it was that book that stopped me from reading reviews before buying/reading a book.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Bag of Bones. I had it on my shelf for a good couple of years before I read it. I put off reading it because some reviews said it was either dull, or far from his best.

I think it was that book that stopped me from reading reviews before buying/reading a book.

I cerrtainly never read King reviews, he tends to get a raw deal from critics. If anything I will read reviews on Amazon from people who actually read for pleasure...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've really enjoyed reading peoples recommendations in this thread only started reading Stephen King about a month ago my Dad suggested him to me. I've only read Salem's Lot, Carrie and The Green Mile so far but have enjoyed them all. Not sure whether to read the Shinning next or the Stand.