Options

Doctor Who: The Caretaker - 28/09/14 (BBC One/HD - 8.30pm) Episode Discussion

Comments

• Options
    caveatmancaveatman Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    His care for Clara is questionable at times (depends what suits the episode). He seems to save people just...because? Dunno, he doesn't seem to care about them. Doesn't seem to enjoy much of anything tbh. I just find the character lacking.

I think this Doctor is no where near as well written or interesting as the previous 3 were tbh.

I completely blame the writing. This series is lacklustre because of it. Peter is doing fine but he can't do miracles - tbh I'd rather him have stayed on Musketeers where they at least seemed to be going somewhere with the character!

In Deep Breath he had the speech about people never being small to him, dont underestimate how far he will go to protect
    them because he has come a very long way and he doesnt expect to reach the promised land.

His brusque offhand manner is possibly the result of him having his eye on a far bigger picture than Clara, maybe the puzzle he has trying to solve via all the maths etc he has been scribbling down. Maybe the thing he is trying to puzzle out is something that is very good at hiding from him (making Listen a stand alone story AND something part of a larger sequence of cause and effect.

The doctor has more than once left the scene of a story to go back in time and then pop back up again with the knowledge or preparation necessary to save the day.

In real life sometimes people are sarky and distant when they have something on their mind. The Doctor seems to be saying things that are inappropriate. Maybe they are being said from apoint of view of him doing and knowing stuff we havent been let in on yet. Deep Breath and Time Heist both had different kinds of Timey Wimey which could foreshadow the bigger game we cant see yet.

Dont underestimate how far he will go to protect people because he has come a very long way already. Maybe we will find out how far. Whether his friendshipmwith.Clara wont survive the big reveal ofbhim being rude to her to protect her from.something, rude enough to make her not end up.dying for him like so many have (hence him raging at her to get back in the tardis where it is safe).

Oops. Bit of a ramble. In short, not totally sure of what to make of the new era but this jury of one will wait for all the evidence.before passing judgement.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    Peter Capaldi is actually older than William Hartnell was when he was cast as the Doctor in 1963.

I'm struggling a bit with Peter's Doctor and his rude, abrasive manner although Hartnell's Doctor was very rude and abrasive towards teachers Ian and Barbara in the very very first episode. Peter's Doctor is coming across as very like Colin Baker's Doctor. Colin talked about his Doctor starting off bad-tempered as a result of his regeneration then calming down as he went along. Maybe we'll see that with Peter's Doctor. Maybe events in the final story will have some effect on him.

I really hope the change happens before the final story though.

I do remember Hartnell being rude, but he was a grandad figure, so you could just blame it on old people's tendency to be a bit more crotchety and sceptical. Capaldi is ostensibly not old; middle-aged but clearly not a grandad figure. The way they did Hartnell up, you could imagine him as an elderly man but you just can't with Capaldi. You could blame it on regeneration but it's halfway through the series; plenty of time to establish that he was initially rude because he was confused.
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arturon energy, can someone remind me what this is and were we once explained why Coal Hill School has lots of it?

Just wondering, was this a load of bull from the Doctor, could it be he deliberately just wanted to follow Clara at her school and meet her boyfriend and see for himself who this guy was and if he was upto it? Maybe he set this whole thing up!
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only person in the whoniverse who finds Danny cute and funny?

I'm not a bloke, of course.

Edited to add: It's also being signalled that Danny was lured into the military and made to do something he hates himself for. Presumably this involves the soldiers in Into the Dalek.
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    It is the same as Eccleston's Doctor calling Mickey, Ricky all the time.

Wasn't that supposed to be a kind of hint to the fact that the ninth Doctor (in the Who universe) already knew of the Ricky who looked like Mickey because he was 'their Mickey' in the parallel world from series 2?

I have no idea if that was deliberate or not, but it doesn't matter - the point is, it works in terms of Doctor Who's history as we now know it to have played out in those two series, and makes perfect sense. What came across as the ninth Doctor just being dismissive of Mickey and getting his name 'wrong' was really nothing of the kind.

I'd say that's in a different class to the kind of rudeness some are saying/complaining they've been seeing in the twelfth Doctor this evening.

Unless I've totally misunderstood your post, in which case I apologise - it's just that it was in direct reply to someone else who was talking about the Doctor's 'rudeness'! :blush:
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Reminded me of the Sarah Jane Adventures, a watered-down version of the real thing.

It was nowhere as good as SJA!
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    Arturon energy, can someone remind me what this is and were we once explained why Coal Hill School has lots of it?

Just wondering, was this a load of bull from the Doctor, could it be he deliberately just wanted to follow Clara at her school and meet her boyfriend and see for himself who this guy was and if he was upto it? Maybe he set this whole thing up!

Here you go.

Lots of sheep gathering tonight - love it.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eggshell wrote: »
    Grumpy old timer with a twinkle in his eye and who is much nicer than you think. !!

It's not rocket science people....Well yes it is ! But you know what I mean.
    eggshell wrote: »
    As a grumpy old sod myself perhaps I get Capaldis Doctor more than others

But I'll tell you who else will,..kids. LIke Courtney, they can see through the bluster to the nice guy underneath.

This is still our Doctor....shame so many seem to need it spelling out.
    No, it's not Rocket Science, Rory. It's Astrophysics!

Love the Hartnell era and there are parallels to be drawn. So if Danny's in next week's episode, we've got a grey haired Doctor, two Coal Hill teachers and a 'difficult' teenager. Any other kind? I was. :blush:

:)
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    caveatman wrote: »
    In real life sometimes people are sarky and distant when they have something on their mind. The Doctor seems to be saying things that are inappropriate. Maybe they are being said from apoint of view of him doing and knowing stuff we havent been let in on yet.

But this hasn't even been hinted at. He does seem to favour logic over emotion but it would be nice to see some emotion behind that.

True, people are sarky and distant when they have something on their mind. But unless others can see a way of helping them, they often keep away or tell this person to think things through by themselves because it's not nice being around so much negativity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expected very little from the ep but loved it; some genuine lolz for me.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must admit the Ninth being dismissive of Mickey was just that to me. Got worse with the Tenth and the opening TARDIS scene in the Cybermen two parter. Doctor and Rose both mocking him, really. Yeuch.
  • Options
    FlopflipsFlopflips Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    OK, thought I'd say a bit more

. If anything, Danny represents that modern view. Everone else thinks - soldier - e killer. He thinks soldier - protector. He saved people. If anything, thru Danny, the show is showing the other side of what a modern soldier is compared to the stereotypical view.
    )

I think Danny did more than that with the officer thing, and the warning to Clara at the end. He was kind of getting at its not the soldiers that kill, that start the world, but those in charge. The leaders that give the orders, like the Doctor, that gets people killed.

Just as the Doctor is anti-soldier, he is anti-leader. And I think it stems from the same reason - orders, and people following them blindly, for duty/loyalty and such. I think the match up is going to be very interesting.
  • Options
    abercrombieabercrombie Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Deep Breath he had the speech about people never being small to him, dont underestimate how far he will go to protect
    them because he has come a very long way and he doesnt expect to reach the promised land.

His brusque offhand manner is possibly the result of him having his eye on a far bigger picture than Clara, maybe the puzzle he has trying to solve via all the maths etc he has been scribbling down. Maybe the thing he is trying to puzzle out is something that is very good at hiding from him (making Listen a stand alone story AND something part of a larger sequence of cause and effect.

The doctor has more than once left the scene of a story to go back in time and then pop back up again with the knowledge or preparation necessary to save the day.

In real life sometimes people are sarky and distant when they have something on their mind. The Doctor seems to be saying things that are inappropriate. Maybe they are being said from apoint of view of him doing and knowing stuff we havent been let in on yet. Deep Breath and Time Heist both had different kinds of Timey Wimey which could foreshadow the bigger game we cant see yet.

Dont underestimate how far he will go to protect people because he has come a very long way already. Maybe we will find out how far. Whether his friendshipmwith.Clara wont survive the big reveal ofbhim being rude to her to protect her from.something, rude enough to make her not end up.dying for him like so many have (hence him raging at her to get back in the tardis where it is safe).

Oops. Bit of a ramble. In short, not totally sure of what to make of the new era but this jury of one will wait for all the evidence.before passing judgement.

ooh! loving this idea, and it adds a whole new dimension t things. Hope this turns out to be the case, and if it doesn't, then this scenario would have actually been the better one to go with!
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just using this part of your post as an example but all these possibles and maybes are the problem for me. It feels like they're going to dump it all on our heads in the finale rather than weaving it in gradually through the series. They're not letting him grow and develop, they're not building up a picture of him by feeding us a bit more each time. That's really poor writing. I don't give a hoot about 12 right now tbh because he's not allowed to show any true depth as a character nor do we know a thing about who he particularly is and why he thinks and acts like he does. He still feels more like a concept than an actual fleshed out character. Hence I really wouldn't care if there was a surprise regeneration this Christmas - why would I? There's too little in this character to get attached to.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I loved it to be honest, hate Danny Pink, however he is a great character, I don't like his ethos is that the right word?! And Clara is a fly to his patriarchal sensibilities etc.. It was great in that sense and the Doctor..also patriarchal in the sense that 'I approve' although not admitedly..It is making for great viewing now that must be said!

Peter Capaldi is smashing as the Doctor..Hehe Disruptive Influence for new companion in the future ;) btw I just thought I would throw my 2p in without reading previous comments.

Now this is family entertainment. And I did wash *sniffs armpits*.

:D Have a good night everyone x

P.S. Loved the 'Another brick in the wall' whistle..we don't need no education..bwhahah!
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A late scheduling for an episode that belonged on CBBC. Pathetic robot thing.
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely episode def rewatchable. In fact I will tonight. Capaldi was utterly brilliant in this one for me.

Also loved the Danny Pink somersault, he would make a good companion for a few episodes. Get him in the TARDIS crew ASAP please!
  • Options
    caveatmancaveatman Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Just using this part of your post as an example but all these possibles and maybes are the problem for me. It feels like they're going to dump it all on our heads in the finale rather than weaving it in gradually through the series. They're not letting him grow and develop, they're not building up a picture of him by feeding us a bit more each time. That's really poor writing. I don't give a hoot about 12 right now tbh because he's not allowed to show any true depth as a character nor do we know a thing about who he particularly is and why he thinks and acts like he does. He still feels more like a concept than an actual fleshed out character. Hence I really wouldn't care if there was a surprise regeneration this Christmas - why would I? There's too little in this character to get attached to.

It is only poor writing if there is nothing to reveal about why someone behaves the way they. I am simply keeping my fingers crossed for a good ending this time. And frankly the show could do with the risk it is taking of people not knowing how to.
    feel about the main character. If there is no decent pay off then is is cack writing mistaking rudeness for character. I will.decide when I have seen the ending
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flopflips wrote: »
    I think Danny did more than that with the officer thing, and the warning to Clara at the end. He was kind of getting at its not the soldiers that kill, that start the world, but those in charge. The leaders that give the orders, like the Doctor, that gets people killed.

Just as the Doctor is anti-soldier, he is anti-leader. And I think it stems from the same reason - orders, and people following them blindly, for duty/loyalty and such. I think the match up is going to be very interesting.

Reminds me of one of my favourite songs, may not be to everyone's taste Black Sabbath - War Pigs: http://youtu.be/Nxgtk_3qwXw
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    comedyfish wrote: »
    Lovely episode def rewatchable. In fact I will tonight. Capaldi was utterly brilliant in this one for me.

Also loved the Danny Pink somersault, he would make a good companion for a few episodes. Get him in the TARDIS crew ASAP please!

Did that somersault seem a bit to good to be human though maybe Danny has had a bit of work done on him?
  • Options
    ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really really really enjoyed that episode. Good humor, decent plot and good character development.

THIS is the sort of humor that I like. Not some idiot sword fighting with a bloody spoon. "Go away humans" was probably the funniest line to me all episode. The Doctor is coming across as very alieny. I don't think that joke would have worked with Matt Smith or David Tennant.

The alien was A LOT better than what I expected. Not the best plot of the series by any means but it was a lot less cheesy than the previews made it out to be.

Speaking of cheesy, what was with the somersault. A very bad attempt to make it look like Danny was in any way useful.

My favorite episode of this series so far. It's a pity Robots of Sherwood was so awful or else this series would have been pretty flawless so far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    For the people saying he is being a bit odd around humans like he doesn't understand them when he is always around them

Well if you think about it he has not being around humans for 1000 years the people of Trenzalore may have looked human but they still were not human

Ok I'm kind of joking with that but it could still be a bit of a explanation

Or it could just be that he's regenerated.

The Doctor nearly always undergoes a radical personality change when he regenerates. For some reason, this time, a lot of people seem to think that there should be some other justification for it. Is it because they want a sense of continuity between 11 and 12? Or is it because the personality change between 10 and 11 was so small, people are now having trouble understanding a more dramatic change? Either way, i don't quite get it. He's regenerated. That's all there is to it and all the explanation needed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Here you go.

Lots of sheep gathering tonight - love it.

Thanks CD :)

As I think about my theory some more, clearly the policeman was killed so actually my theory was a load of bull ...... :blush:
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Jon_Jones wrote: »

The Doctor nearly always undergoes a radical personality change when he regenerates. For some reason, this time, a lot of people seem to think that there should be some other justification for it. Is it because they want a sense of continuity between 11 and 12? Or is it because the personality change between 10 and 11 was so small, people are now having trouble understanding a more dramatic change? Either way, i don't quite get it. He's regenerated. That's all there is to it and all the explanation needed.

I agree with that plus he regenerated after a 1000 year war.

It's already known the way and reason he regenerates can effect his personally I think if most people had being at war for 1000 they to my be a bit moody after it moreso if they went into that war after just getting over another war.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is only poor writing if there is nothing to reveal about why someone behaves the way they. I am simply keeping my fingers crossed for a good ending this time. And frankly the show could do with the risk it is taking of people not knowing how to.
    feel about the main character. If there is no decent pay off then is is cack writing mistaking rudeness for character. I will.decide when I have seen the ending

It is considered poor writing really to not reveal anything until the end. It's not how you construct a satisfying character arc. At the moment the rudeness does really feel like they had an idea about a rude Doctor and just went for it with no real rhyme or reason.
    Jon_Jones wrote: »

See that's the tricky one - either the experiences of previous regenerations affect him or they don't. There's some clear consistency from 9 through to 11 - they are still underneath the same man shaped by the same experience even if the casing has changed a bit. The issue I have with 12 is they now seem to have decided that isn't the case and he doesn't seem to bear any resemblance or be at all affected by his predecessor's experiences. Not in anyway they seem to want to delve into.