Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    No offence but Shelagh Fogarty is getting as big as Hattie Jacques. :eek:
    Who cares? She is witty, erudite and far better than most of the other presenters out there.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has LBC affect the figures of BBC 5 live as I'm finding myself choosing LBC more since it went national, BBC 5 Live seems to be dull compare to LBC and weekday mornings are not listen-able now.
  • Options
    JanielovesyouJanielovesyou Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed hearing the clip of Shelagh and the mouse again
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rwould wrote: »
    Who cares? She is witty, erudite and far better than most of the other presenters out there.

Well, it can't be good for her health, surely.
  • Options
    rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    Well, it can't be good for her health, surely.
    So no doubt you do not smoke, drink, or participate in dangerous sports? Although it is very good of you to express such concerns purely for the good of her health.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rwould wrote: »
    So no doubt you do not smoke, drink, or participate in dangerous sports? Although it is very good of you to express such concerns purely for the good of her health.

I don't smoke or drink. :) But I might eat too much sometimes and I am about 2 stone overweight. But I am not happy with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Garvey looks younger than I imagined (webcam).
  • Options
    didasdidas Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Well, this is what I've felt about the anniversary scheduling:

Peter Allen is great anywhere and a legend.
    Victoria Derbyshire is far better when co-presenting (it reminded me that she always came across as the light-hearted one during the breakfast show).
    Nicky is far better when paired with Shelagh.
    Richard Bacon is the same wherever you put him. Personally I really like him, but if he winds you up, he'll wind you up at any time of day.
    Jane Garvey sounded great and I would love to have her back on 5.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Quite enjoying Drive with Jane Garvey and Peter Allen. Would like her back on Radio 5
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has LBC affect the figures of BBC 5 live as I'm finding myself choosing LBC more since it went national, BBC 5 Live seems to be dull compare to LBC and weekday mornings are not listen-able now.

These new preset station dab radios help terrifically. Able to switch back and forth between
    national Lbc, Talksport and Five. The radio is increasingly on the two former stations as Five persists with a very tired and stale weekday daytime dross. Having the excellent Peter Allen go cfrom pillar to post does not change things.
  • Options
    brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i am shocked no birthday cake or no celebration party or what ever to celebrate 20 yrs of 5live the only thing we get is peter allan doing all the shows and 5live at 20 and special drive

overall not bad wish there was more also what is this special next chapter i hear after 20th anniversary
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    The programme schedules for Monday 28 March 1994 have been posted at the 5 Live Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/5live/photos/a.260441551107.140134.8251776107/10152314015716108/?type=1&theater

The line-up was:

5.00am Morning Reports (Jane Garvey)
    6.00 The Breakfast programme (Peter Allen)
    8.35 The Magazine (Diana Madill)
    12.00pm Midday With Mair (Eddie Mair)
    2.00 Ruscoe On Five (Sybil Ruscoe)
    4.00 John Inverdale Nationwide
    7.00 News Extra
    7.35 Good For A Quote (Pat Murphy)
    8.00 Champion Sport (Jon Champion with live football)
    10.00 News Talk (Niall Dickson)
    11.00 Night Extra
    12.00 The Other Side Of Midnight (Tim Grundy)
    2.00am Up All Night (Rhod Sharp)

I wonder whatever happened to Diana Madill? I remember my mum listening to her phone in during the school run - I can remember angry phone ins about taste and decency on tv which is a bit of a non issue these days
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Drive was brilliant ! Peter & Jane have such good chemistry. I wish she'd come back on the programme for good.

It's a pity they couldn't find Joanne Sale, who used to do the traffic & travel, she was a laugh :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    I thought Drive was brilliant ! Peter & Jane have such good chemistry. I wish she'd come back on the programme for good.

It's a pity they couldn't find Joanne Sale, who used to do the traffic & travel, she was a laugh :)

I recorded the last 90 minutes of the webcam and might pop it on YouTube. :)

Jane is a good newsreader.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »

They are two quality broadcasters. Unlike many on Five they have jobs not given for other reasons...I feel quite a few are stale and tired because in all honesty the BBC doesn't know what to do with them.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    The programme schedules for Monday 28 March 1994 have been posted at the 5 Live Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/5live/photos/a.260441551107.140134.8251776107/10152314015716108/?type=1&theater

The line-up was:

5.00am Morning Reports (Jane Garvey)
    6.00 The Breakfast programme (Peter Allen)
    8.35 The Magazine (Diana Madill)
    12.00pm Midday With Mair (Eddie Mair)
    2.00 Ruscoe On Five (Sybil Ruscoe)
    4.00 John Inverdale Nationwide
    7.00 News Extra
    7.35 Good For A Quote (Pat Murphy)
    8.00 Champion Sport (Jon Champion with live football)
    10.00 News Talk (Niall Dickson)
    11.00 Night Extra
    12.00 The Other Side Of Midnight (Tim Grundy)
    2.00am Up All Night (Rhod Sharp)

Things always weren't so rosy then, Sybil Ruscoe is comfortably the worst presenter in the history of the station.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane is a good newsreader.
    Oh yes! I say "all other newsreaders go home". What an amazing voice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recorded the last 90 minutes of the webcam and might pop it on YouTube. :)
    It would be appreciated! I hope you find the time to put it up. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Things always weren't so rosy then, Sybil Ruscoe is comfortably the worst presenter in the history of the station.

Cant help but agree. Is it her daughter who keeps getting the odd gig? There are one or two on here who run Sybil a close second mind.
  • Options
    Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Jane Garvey takes the view that 5live should forget the self congratulation and instead should stop letting LBC walk all over them.
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    snossis wrote: »
    Is no one one going to mention the story about the deaf woman who heard for the first time? I thought that was the very epitome of an uplifting story - great radio I thought.

I heard that repeated on tonight Drive, with Peter Allen and Jane Garvey. Apparently VD had featured the story earlier in the day. In spite of that, it was a great uplifting story and I agree it was great radio.
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    I came across an interesting article quoting the complacent 5 live controller today. They picked a great photo of him for the head of the article:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/mar/23/radio-5-live-jonathan-wall-bbc-20-years?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

Wall acknowledges he has reached the limit of plausible "efficiency" savings, and that even another £1m off his budget would mean cuts to the station's output. "We might have to play tapes overnight between 1am and 5am, instead of live news," he says. "And we currently do 28 different sports a year – I'm not sure we'd be able to do that any more." That would mean an end to Dotun Adebayo's Up All Night. Wall says he might also have to cut back further on international sport.

I can't wait for the next budget cut, if they made it two million, Bacon could go as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    I could save some cash, I'd axe Five Live altogether plenty of cash saved to keep BBC Three going for another six years.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member
    I can't wait for the next budget cut, if they made it two million, Bacon could go as well.

I think its a good thing 5live stay live throughout the night it would be a shame if this ended - they would certainly struggle to do breaking news which happened at night.

Sure Doton is terrible though, but I guess its almost part of his charm that he is clearly so unsuited to be a broadcaster
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sigmundv wrote: »
    It would be appreciated! I hope you find the time to put it up. :)

I will. :) Do a search sometime next week on YouTube. :)
This discussion has been closed.