The One Show

Comments

• ilovenicnacsilovenicnacs Posts: 43,373
    Forum Member
    What you say is true and has been mentioned before.

But it doesn't stop some people being unaware how scripted is this show. All the presenters really want is a short sentence reply from any guest. Any sort of an actual conversation developing with a guest, which many viewers would think the show's about, is discouraged by talking across them or cutting them short.
    They use a "shotgun technique" of packing the show with so many diverse elements, in a desperate attempt to stop viewers changing channels.

I only watch now if there is a guest I like on, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, so that should be enough to keep people watching (I often go and make a cup of tea when the video bits are on!).

Maybe they should have the confidence to lower the amount of VT shown and then it would not be so frantic, still say it has a lot to do with Evans though, Matt seems to keep things under control.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    One of the problems with The One Show is they work to a very tight schedule due to how many video sequences they have lined up etc and all the things they need to cover in the episode. So it's tradition that if a guest responds to a question with more than a couple of sentences, they begin to run over the schedule and you can feel the tension building and eventually Alex or Matt cut in and quickly move onto the next thing. That's what Stephen Merchant was getting at last night I think.

It's not a problem if you get a guest that treats the One Show for what it is.. just a chance to smile, say a few things and plug their latest DVD or whatever it is they're there to talk about.. but you get a guest who actually wants to talk about something... it immediately leads to trouble and they quickly begin to over run on their tight schedule.

When a guest talks too much I refer to it as a one show guest "going rogue" and sometimes it's hilarious because you can see how it cocks them up.

The other factor on Friday's is Chris Evans. He puts Alex on edge every week and I doubt she likes him that much. So that never helps. He's just too big a personality really and treats it all as a bit of a laugh. Although Peter Kay is one guest he can't dominate and it's quite amusing to see even Chris Evans pushed to the point of anger by Peter Kay's antics. I think they clear the entire schedule when Peter is on the show because they know they'll never get any of it shown because he's pratting about too much.

Can you tell I watch far too much of the One Show?

Agree with all of that.

Can see where the OP is coming from, it started with the Egyptian artefact when Chris sounded very irritated by the amount of time it was taking Stephen Merchant to put his gloves on. :confused: From then on, everything was rushed and Stephen seemed to get quite irked with Evans's obnoxious approach. Alex filled her usual role of just sitting there looking pretty, reading from the autocue and generally not contributing much else.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Agree with all of that.

Can see where the OP is coming from, it started with the Egyptian artefact when Chris sounded very irritated by the amount of time it was taking Stephen Merchant to put his gloves on. :confused: From then on, everything was rushed and Stephen seemed to get quite irked with Evans's obnoxious approach. Alex filled her usual role of just sitting there looking pretty, reading from the autocue and generally not contributing much else.

I think many put far too much meaning into lots of little things like that. I always get the impression there is a lot of winding each other up going on between the presenters and some of the guests then people believe it is all real.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I watched it last night after a few drinks (so might not have caught everything) to see what the fuss was about. Apart from it all being rushed from what seemed the first minute I didn't see any real animosity between Merchant and Evans. Merchant is a standup and he has a certain style which he played upto when Evans asked him to be more upbeat about his movie.

If anything it's Alex who always seems to get the hump. She can't handle going off script and I think Evans does things on purpose to make her uncomfortable. It could be just in jest or possibly he feels the same as some posters on here that she isn't competent at live off script telly and pushes her on it. A bit of sadistic fun maybe.

To go back to a point about Peter Kay I think he does to Evans what Evans (might) be doing to Alex. IIRC it was Alex who was the more frustrated when Kay was last on. At one point she rolled her eyes and almost swore.
    I think Evans likes those shows because he is an overgrown schoolboy and treats the show as a bit of fun. It's his friday play day.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch regularly and must admit I thought something odd was going on. It wasn't relaxed and didn't seem to flow. They are trying to cram far too much into a 30 minute slot.
  • juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Chris Evans ...made Millions on Live radio and TGIF ( Thank goodness its friday)
    Can handle chaos, improvise and keep it rolling.

Alex jones....autocue , rigid, gets flustered and bossy if deviation from autocue and script. Just like Susanah Ried ettc ...thier brain cannot handle unscripted (think on your feet ) moments. Bossy and own way merchants.

Matt. Just gets on with it and fawns like a faun fauning. but IS conversational.

and the odd one out is .......Alex (wait , wait , wait ...you cant do that , stop this , leave it alone, lets get on , what are you doing ..) Jones.
  • Scarlett O HaraScarlett O Hara Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    The One Show is a dreadful programme from the theme tune to the presenters to the way they try and cram far too much into the timeslot. I feel embarrassed when you get big name guests on there only for them to be rushed, talked over, and patronised to the extent they might as well not have bothered turning up.

I hate magazine shows in general (and actual magazines too, come to that) though. I can't stomach the way they'll talk about something like starving people, child abuse, or terminal illness one second and then go right to a celebrity fluff piece the next. Too jarring for me and I really can't see the appeal.

In general I try not to watch them.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    I think many put far too much meaning into lots of little things like that. I always get the impression there is a lot of winding each other up going on between the presenters and some of the guests then people believe it is all real.

I get that usually. Evans normally likes to strike up a bit of banter with guests and wind up Alex, knowing how flustered she gets if they deviate from the script, but I definitely got a different vibe from this episode.

I think Evans's show of gratitude at the end "thanks for sticking with us" was an indication that he felt it didn't go as well as usual. The reason for why that was is anybody's guess.
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised the one show didn't do a feature on the fact Saturday was the 2nd day and also the 2nd month. They missed some material there.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Randysback wrote: »
    I'm surprised the one show didn't do a feature on the fact Saturday was the 2nd day and also the 2nd month. They missed some material there.:rolleyes:

You should sell the concept to ITV, if they can drag out three people jumping into the water into a programme lasting a couple of hours then they can probably make at least an hour out of the 3rd of March.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The One Show is a dreadful programme from the theme tune to the presenters to the way they try and cram far too much into the timeslot. I feel embarrassed when you get big name guests on there only for them to be rushed, talked over, and patronised to the extent they might as well not have bothered turning up.

I hate magazine shows in general (and actual magazines too, come to that) though. I can't stomach the way they'll talk about something like starving people, child abuse, or terminal illness one second and then go right to a celebrity fluff piece the next. Too jarring for me and I really can't see the appeal.

In general I try not to watch them.
    To alot of them though it is just another press junket, just instead of being in a hotel/private room it's in a tv studio.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bruce Willis on tonight.... one of those guests who you just know is thinking "Why did I agree to do this show".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bruce Willis on tonight.... one of those guests who you just know is thinking "Why did I agree to do this show".

I think it was more a case of many people thinking 'why did they invite this prat on as a guest'.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I think it was more a case of many people thinking 'why did they invite this prat on as a guest'.

The only pratts were the CBeebies rejects playing at One Show presenters, it was dumb and dumber presenting tonight.

Bruce rawkkkkkkkkkkkssssssss:D
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,890
    Forum Member
    Wish Matt would sit still and not keep sticking his head into the shot - surely someone in the gallery would have a word in his ear and tell him to stop leaning forward when we're trying to see the guest.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this briefly earlier on and the reporter in a wet suit's delivery was more akin to Blue Peter.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member

I can imagine every guest says that when the show has finished :D
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened in tonights show!?!?

Matt Baker asked Debbie Harry from Blondie if they would be singing Rapture on their forthcoming tour. He just got a look and an awkward silence back (thought I might have heard a tut too).

He then moved onto something else and looked to have made a slight mistake whilst looking flumoxed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member

Matt Baker asked Debbie Harry from Blondie if they would be singing Rapture on their forthcoming tour. He just got a look and an awkward silence back (thought I might have heard a tut too).

He then moved onto something else and looked to have made a slight mistake whilst looking flumoxed.

That patronising and cringeworthy 'Blondie karaoke' section was too much. This is why I hate this show, dumbed-down to breathtaking levels, overseas guests must leave that studio thinking 'What in the name of God was that?!'. It's actually embarrassing.

And all American guests have to have smoke blown up their asses. Why do British chat shows have to do this so much with American guests? It's like 'how many compliments can I shoehorn into a show in such a short space of time?':sleep:
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His first question was "do you have a favourite song of yours", to which the answer was Rapture. He then asked if they would be singing that on their tour and I think she must have felt it was obvious that they would be singing her favourite song, so didn't answer.
  • VincentHVincentH Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Don't think I've ever seen Debbie Harry look comfortable in an interview. Remember seeing her on Wogan in the 80s and she seemed miffed and not bothered through out. On the various music documentaries where she's a talking head, she never has a great deal to say. Guess she's not much into interviews! Still looks fantastic for her age, and great they're still going. And 'Rapture' is still brilliant.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone watching? Feel sorry for Barry Gibb being interviewed by these two muppets!
  • Coma_WhiteComa_White Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    ^Yes!!! 'Stairs are very important, aren't they, Barry' - how insightful!
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone watching? Feel sorry for Barry Gibb being interviewed by these two muppets!

You are rather rude!!!! :(