Dad's Army to be Revived as a feature film

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    Toby Jones is Mainwaring, Gambon is Private Godfrey.

You are correct....That'll teach me to read an article properly! :blush:

Can't see Gambon as Godfrey though :confused::confused:
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,615
    Forum Member
    I think he is the one member of the new cast we can excuse. :D
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a terrible idea.:confused:
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    What a terrible idea.:confused:

I think your right the "Dads Army" film worked because of the same writers back in 1971, It's a different time now best to leave it & just enjoy the original's.
  • james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    interesting news, any word on wether David croft will be involved in any way?
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no. They should know better - the original cast and their little ways were deeply ingrained and much loved by the audience, and much of the series' appeal was based on an affection for the actors and characters.
    However, at least they've got one cast member right - Danny Mays always looks like a spiv, no matter who he's playing.

Edit: Didn't David Croft die a couple of years ago?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    james_W85 wrote: »
    interesting news, any word on wether David croft will be involved in any way?

Unlikely - he's dead

Would it be too much to hope the producers could work in cameo roles for Ian Lavender, Frank Williams and Pam Cundell, the only surviving regular cast members ?
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The expression that comes to mind when I hear about this film is.....

"Do you think that's wise, sir?"

An impressive cast, and I like the idea that Catherine Zeta Jones said yes to the film because she's possibly a fan of the series, but how could any of them compare to the magnificent originals?
  • filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are correct....That'll teach me to read an article properly! :blush:

Can't see Gambon as Godfrey though :confused::confused:

I Think Kenneth Brannah would have make a good Mainwaring !..I remember him in The Boat That Rocked as a stern obstinate Minister and he would go well as Arthur Lowes old character !
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Idris Elba would have made a good Sgt Wilson.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what they could do with is that they could do with some military training so that when they handle the weapons they look like they've handled before in an efficent manner
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still don't think it's a good idea but, in fairness, that is a cracking cast.

Agreed, they've done well there.
  • thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has the word 'disaster' written all over it :cry:
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am puzzled by all the foreboding.

The writer and director have impressive track records. The cast is absolutely brilliant - it is hard to believe that they would have all signed up unless they thought the script was good.

There is nothing new or strange about different actors taking over the roles previously played by others. In fact it is in the very nature of drama that parts get to be recast and re-interpreted by a new generation of actors.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still don't think it's a good idea but, in fairness, that is a cracking cast.
    It's going to be another one of those British comedy films where everyone gets a part (groans). Celia Imrie is sure to have a role somewhere, its compulsory!
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,615
    Forum Member
    Throw in June Whitfield (Mrs Bluett?) and we will have the set. :D
  • MoxeyMoxey Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fear it will be of the same standard as the Yes Minister remake. I think it helped that the brilliant original cast and writers had lived through the ww2 era.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Ted Lowe? Is he the snooker bloke? :D

Yup, will have to turn the sound right up to hear him :D

Oh dear :/

Im sorry, i am panicking.
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Catherine Zeta Jones as Mrs Fox?
  • DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,249
    Forum Member
    Sound interesting. I think it'll go and watch it when it's released. Anyone know when it's likely to be in cinema's ?
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    As a great Dad's Army fan and a huge fan of Gambon, Nighy, Patterson, Mays and Courtenay - I think this is an awful idea.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    what they could do with is that they could do with some military training so that when they handle the weapons they look like they've handled before in an efficent manner

Oh absolutely, every time I watch Dad's Army my enjoyment is ruined when I see weapons are not handled in an efficient manner.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Casting is as good as we could have hoped (not sure about Bill Paterson as Frazer though...). Would have thought it`s a poisoned chalice for an actor though - Either dismissed just for doing an impression of their predecessor or rubbished for doing something too different!
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Idris Elba would have made a good Sgt Wilson.

That might work if it was set in 2010 but not in 1940.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Casting is as good as we could have hoped (not sure about Bill Paterson as Frazer though...). Would have thought it`s a poisoned chalice for an actor though - Either dismissed just for doing an impression of their predecessor or rubbished for doing something too different!

That's a really good point Straker. The originals are so ingrained on our minds that for anyone to replace them seems unthinkable. There's no way that the new cast can be the same as the originals, and I would hope that they don't try to do impressions of the TV cast, as this can't possibly work. But if the new film changes things too much it simply won't be Dad's Army anymore. However, if they stick too closely to the originals the new cast will suffer by simply not being the old cast. It's a real problem.

As the TV series progressed Croft and Perry continually tweaked the characters so the actors and the characters became closer and closer - for example when they realised how good John Laurie was at telling rambling ghost stories they added a few of those in. John Le Mesurier's vague but utterly charming way with the ladies became one of Wilson's traits. This sort of thing is going to be one of the biggest hurdles that the new actors will have to overcome - these aren't simply any characters in a script, they are specific character parts written for specific actors.

The scripts for the TV series are superb, and very telling in the stage directions. Perry and Croft were so confident in their cast knowing exactly what to do in any situation that frequently the stage directions are minimal in the extreme. For example, Wilson will say a line and the direction then reads simply "Mainwaring reacts". And we all know what this will look like. Arthur Lowe knew exactly what exasperated face to pull to get the biggest laugh.

Anyway, this is a fantastic cast for what will undoubtedly be one of the most eagerly awaited comedies for many years. At the moment I can't quite see how it will all work, but as a massive Dad's Army fan I really hope it does.