Options

bruce -craig -brendon - fiasco

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure that Craig's kangaroo comment wasn't aimed at Bruno's impression of a grasshopper. Someone with a video please look at it again and quote his exact words. Didn't he mention just Bruno's name, not Jo's, in that sentence?
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tonydancer wrote: »
    Are you sure that Craig's kangaroo comment wasn't aimed at Bruno's impression of a grasshopper. Someone with a video please look at it again and quote his exact words. Didn't he mention just Bruno's name, not Jo's, in that sentence?

Bruno, Craig, Brendan and Bruce were all OTT. The actual comments from Bruno and Craig are:

Bruno: " It was too skippy, you skipped through all of this, it was like a grasshopper really, I'm sorry but thats the truth"
    Craig: " Don't know about grasshopper I'd say bush kangaroo actually darling-pause-I don't want to destroy your confidence my love"
    Brendan flounces off
    Len: "That going a bit too far"
    Craig: "I don't think it is"
    Len: "You don't have to be personal"

Bruce was wrong. The remarks were not personal just a bit over dramatic in the description.
    It's Bruce's remarks about Ali and Brian and last week about Jo which were nasty and personal.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bruce was definitely in the wrong.

Who does he think he is that says its ok for him to make personal comments to Ali and Jo and yet when a judge makes a comment (not directed at Jo personally) he thows a wobbler!

He's only the presenter of the show....not the headmaster!
  • Options
    soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    LazySusan wrote: »
    Why was it Ok for Len to call Natalie hop-a- long because she was a bit skippy but not Ok for Craig to say Jo looked like a kangaroo. Same thing isn't it?

Everyone laughed at Len but complained about Craig.

Hi Susan,

Hopalong Cassidy used to be a well-loved big box office star. A kangaroo carries negative vibes like a donkey.

Then there was the manner of delivery. Len likes to laugh at his own exaggerations meaning everybody knows they are not to be taken seriously, and he is aged 65?

Craig delivers his verbal thrusts with finality in cold blood, his tone of voice suggesting the situation is actually more hopeless than he gives out. He laughs at the celeb.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bruce was out of order last night

time for him to go?

he is supposed to be a nasty piece of work off camera
  • Options
    winenroseswinenroses Posts: 6,470
    Forum Member
    Bruce is human: not a total ogre offstage but not a saint either.

He may have said what he did because he was left high and dry when Brendan flounced or skipped, and he had to say something. It's obvious that he finds Craig's comments generally rather harsh, and although this particular remark wasn't all that harsh as it happens, perhaps took the chance to say what he had been thinking for a long time?

The problem I have with Craig is that he delivers his verdicts as if he is sentencing the dancers for a terrible crime. I find his tone of voice can be really depressing. Not always - just most of the time. I do agree that he is mostly consistent with his marks.

PS He is probably the complete opposite off stage - a total sweetheart.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kewpee wrote: »
    I thought both Bruno and Craig were downright bombastic toward Ali, both OTT and Bruno was almost angry.

Then they both followed up with unconstructive cheap shots at Jo.

When Bruno started with 'grasshopper' Bruce made a quick aside to him of 'well you can do anything'...quite dismissive...then when Craig waded in immediately with the Skippy comment I think Bruce was past his tolerance level, and with Brendan walking off it was left to Bruce to make a split second decision of how to go forward so he silenced Craig and went on to the other two judges.
    I was actually pleased with Bruce's reaction, at least it showed care for Jo's feelings.

When it's clear that a celebrity if lacking in confidence, publically demeaning their performance with silly remarks in order to get a cheap laugh is very unprofessional....

I concede that Bruce may be guilty of this, but at least we know he's there for that reason, whereas the others are suppose to be using their professional experience to critique the dancers, not take pot shots...

Everyone wants to be funny, everyone wants to be the star of the show...too many divas in one room...

Exactly. I haven't seen much consideration given to this point.
  • Options
    kopy-loverkopy-lover Posts: 793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't belive how many people missed the point.

He wasn't saying she danced like a Kanagroo. Both he and Bruno were saying her dance was "skippy". She was skipping along too much rather than dancing.

He was comparing her to the Kangaroo's NAME...she was Skippy.
    He wasn't comparing her to a kangaroo's motion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think after the whole JS/Anton situations they are probably being very cautious about comments.

I have heard Craig (and the others) say worse tbh. He could have put it slightly differently but Brendan and Bruce did over react.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree, she was skippy but Bruno was going over the top as per usual imitating her in an exaggerated fashion and then laughing nastily. He is the one at fault if anyone is between Bruno and Craig, as Craig had hardly had chance to speak. Craig in fact seemed about to be saying something kind about not wanting to hurt Jo's feelings.

Maybe it was a set up that Brendan would walk off. It was all rather suspect last night.
  • Options
    fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Craig was possibly brought up in Australia watching 'Skippy the bush kangaroo' ( A children's TV program), hence when Bruno said 'skippy, like a grasshopper, Craig thought it would be OK to say 'more like a bush kangaroo'.

It was not as offensive as many things he has said in the past and I wouldn't class it as a 'personal' insult.

I was OK with Brendan walking off. The judges were making fun of Jo, who had danced well (probably to Brendan's delight after the way training had gone).

Bruce I would take issue with. I dont think Craig's was a personal remark. A personal remark would be to make a joke about someone's recent marriage breakup.
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like Bruce but I thought Bruce & Brendan's reaction was justified.

The tide definitely seems to have turned this series that personal insults are no longer unacceptable. Arlene was the main instigator of that along with Craig.

I don't think it's ok to be nasty to dancers who are less gifted - why should they be made to feel like shit just because they have less aptitude?

Contestant should be judged according to their level.
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    fatskia wrote: »
    Craig was possibly brought up in Australia watching 'Skippy the bush kangaroo' ( A children's TV program), hence when Bruno said 'skippy, like a grasshopper, Craig thought it would be OK to say 'more like a bush kangaroo'.

It was not as offensive as many things he has said in the past and I wouldn't class it as a 'personal' insult.

Neither grasshoppers nor kangaroos are known for their skipping motion - both of them JUMP and as Jo was not jumping neither comparison was appropriate - and there was definitely no need for Craig to wade in with an even worse insult to Jo after Bruno had already been rude.

I took it that he was saying that Jo was bigger and less elegant than a grashopper.

Either way - there was no need to compare Jo to either animal - both comments were both well off the mark, hurtful and insulting. Judges are supposed to be impartial, objective and give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism - something which Craig in particular needs to realise sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    chiefettechiefette Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    catt wrote: »
    i am furious about the way craig was treated
    brebdon was soooooooo rude
    and bruce was bloody out of order
    why was craigs comment any more personal than brunos ? it wasnt
    i think gunning for craig is feeling like school bullying and i for one am complaining about it

sigh @ strictly

I was in the audience last night and it did not look like bullying to me. Once the cameras were off the judges they were all laughing and joking, even after the 'kangeroo' moment there wasn't a reaction from Craig or Bruce once the cameras stopped filming them. A lot of it must be for effect ;)
  • Options
    washboardwashboard Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulmate61 wrote: »
    Hi Susan,

Hopalong Cassidy used to be a well-loved big box office star. A kangaroo carries negative vibes like a donkey.
    QUOTE]

Skippy the Bush Kangaroo was a well-loved TV star who entertained several generations of British youngsters (and probably other nationalities too).

He overcame the stereoptypical view of kangaroos as overgrown rodents destroying bushlands and cars with equal abandon. His depiction of the kangaroo as unsung, and often misunderstood ('what is it, Skip? What are you trying to tell us?') hero has not yet ben surpassed.

His slow-motion bounding across the Bush (and our TV screens) gave a grace to his movements which added a well-deserved verisimilitude to his name - Skippy.

It is a great sadness that his memory has been traduced by:

- Strictly Come Dancing judges using his name to describe less than competent dancing of the Viennese Waltz;

- new generations failing to recognise allusions to his greatness, leading to an emphasis on the 'kangaroo' part of the title of his unforgettable (as long as you'd once known it) TV series. Rather than recognising the reference to the eponymous hero;

- the sad decline of the once noble and geographical term 'the Bush' into 'nudge nudge, wink wink' 'fnarrr fnarr' double entendre.

And a belief that references to 'Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo' carry 'negative vibes. :(:(

We can only be grateful that Skip himself is not here to witness it... :(

;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kopy-lover wrote: »
    Can't belive how many people missed the point.

He wasn't saying she danced like a Kanagroo. Both he and Bruno were saying her dance was "skippy". She was skipping along too much rather than dancing.

He was comparing her to the Kangaroo's NAME...she was Skippy.
    He wasn't comparing her to a kangaroo's motion.

Totally agree.

Makes me feel old :(:D
  • Options
    Three Left FeetThree Left Feet Posts: 738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chiefette wrote: »
    Once the cameras were off the judges they were all laughing and joking...

It was clearly a put up job from where I was sitting. (My sofa, but it's rarely wrong!)

Brendan's a bright bloke - he takes his £30k for pretty undemanding work - and I guess he knows that taking a few "insults" off the Panto Dames at either end of the judges' panel is part of the job. He even gets to do a Drama Queen stomp back to Tess for tea and sympathy.

If Brendan really was offended, he should jack in SCD and resume his career in competitions, where he can get judged by proper judges.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    Neither grasshoppers nor kangaroos are known for their skipping motion - both of them JUMP and as Jo was not jumping neither comparison was appropriate - and there was definitely no need for Craig to wade in with an even worse insult to Jo after Bruno had already been rude.

I took it that he was saying that Jo was bigger and less elegant than a grashopper.

Either way - there was no need to compare Jo to either animal - both comments were both well off the mark, hurtful and insulting. Judges are supposed to be impartial, objective and give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism - something which Craig in particular needs to realise sooner rather than later.

I took it as a reference to the motion of Jo's dance. Whilst I can see why you are taking the view that both Bruno and Craig chose the wrong creatures to use as similes, I simply don't see any suggestion that anyone meant that Jo was "bigger" or "less elegant" than a grasshopper.

(That said, when you see them in slow-motion, both grasshoppers and kangaroos look - IMO - incredibly elegant and light and flowing in their movements).

Having watched Jo's dance, I am left with an indelible memory of a slow, gentle, up and down motion.

Like my indelible memories of Skippy (the Bush Kangaroo) going to the rescue. Or natural history programme's showing us the slow motion version of a grasshopper's movements.

Jo's dance was skippy.

Any of the judges could have said that, and left it at that.

Just as they could have commented on any of the other dances in a couple of words, and left it at that.

That would certainly help the X Factor raise its ratings.

(And, I note that only one couple left during the comments.)
  • Options
    kaloukkalouk Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I thought that Brendan had had a genuine rush of blood to the head and walked Jo off then I would grudgingly admire him but lets be honest he saw a chance to get more votes for Jo and he took it. It isn't the first time he has thrown a tantrum and I never feel they are genuine. Craig has been quite encouraging to Jo I feel since Brendans last hissy fit. I think Joe and Craig have been the ones to really get the wrath of his tongue this series. I am genuine when I say this that if Jo is really that sensitive and unconfident then maybe she shouldn't be a contestant on this show. After some of the comments last night I thought the Skippy comment was quite quick and I really didn't think it was meant in a vicious way. The dance was skippy so he thought of Skippy the Bush Kangaroo, who was cute!! Brendan came out on top though as he lives to dance another week, can't wait to see what he comes up with next week!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was clearly a put up job from where I was sitting. (My sofa, but it's rarely wrong!)

Brendan's a bright bloke - he takes his £30k for pretty undemanding work - and I guess he knows that taking a few "insults" off the Panto Dames at either end of the judges' panel is part of the job. He even gets to do a Drama Queen stomp back to Tess for tea and sympathy.

If Brendan really was offended, he should jack in SCD and resume his career in competitions, where he can get judged by proper judges.

I agree.

I'm afraid that I simply do not believe that it was anything other than 'this year's tactic'.

'Bad Boy Brendan', with his rule breaking and illegal lifts has become old hat, and fallen out of favour.

'Knight in shining armour Brendan' is however a whole new character (and I use the word advisedly).

He sweeps his lady away from the evil judges who are critcising her with all the weapons in their linguistic armoury - simile, metaphor, hyperbole, alliteration, grammatical solecisms.

Just as they assailed his previous ladies. Like Fiona Phillips, for example, who he nobly defended by telling her she'd be a 'cr*p sha*g' (allegedly).

Are there enough asterisks to allow us to tell the tale of this noble knight's derring-do and gallantry?

There certainly aren't enough to allow me to express my personal disbelief that I saw anything other than a tactic and publicity stunt last knight.

Or to disabuse me of the view that - should Jo actually be so fragile that she needs to be whisked away so dramatically (and didn't she cover her distress up well in Tess' room?!) then she is too fragile to be on the show.
  • Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brendan is from New Zealand.

Craig is an Aussie

That's all you need to know.
  • Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    Brendan is from New Zealand.

Craig is an Aussie

That's all you need to know.

Craig isn`t the only judge to have had a heated exchange with Brendan though. I remember a couple of years ago he had a fallout with Len too.
  • Options
    Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    It looked blatantly to me like Bruce Forsyth trying to repair his image. He took a battering with his pro-Anton ignorance so this 'defender of the underdog' stance was, IMO, his attempt to restore some balance and look like the good guy.

I agree with whoever pointed out that his "you lost a stone" comment was worse. Taking the piss out of someone's divorce isn't the kind of gentle (read: rubbish) humour we expect of Forsyth. It was in very poor taste.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    winenroses wrote: »

Maybe it was a set up that Brendan would walk off. It was all rather suspect last night.

By Sunday, this incident was being used as an advert for the BBC IPlayer so I am now totally convinced that it was staged and they are jumping on the X factor bandwagon.

Audience members said that there was no animosity off camera.
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    washboard wrote: »
    I took it as a reference to the motion of Jo's dance. Whilst I can see why you are taking the view that both Bruno and Craig chose the wrong creatures to use as similes, I simply don't see any suggestion that anyone meant that Jo was "bigger" or "less elegant" than a grasshopper.

(That said, when you see them in slow-motion, both grasshoppers and kangaroos look - IMO - incredibly elegant and light and flowing in their movements).

Having watched Jo's dance, I am left with an indelible memory of a slow, gentle, up and down motion.

Like my indelible memories of Skippy (the Bush Kangaroo) going to the rescue. Or natural history programme's showing us the slow motion version of a grasshopper's movements.

Jo's dance was skippy.

Any of the judges could have said that, and left it at that.

Just as they could have commented on any of the other dances in a couple of words, and left it at that.

That would certainly help the X Factor raise its ratings.

(And, I note that only one couple left during the comments.)

As a huge fan of Skippy (viewed on an old 18" B&W telly in the 60s) - I stand by the comment that Jo's dancing did not resemble Skippy's bounding alone across the bush in any way.

Yes her dance was "skippy" - an adjective used to describe the wrong sort of movement in many ballroom dances, but Jo's dance resembled neither a kangaroo or grasshopper in the way she moved so the comment was inappropriate. I got the impression that Craig didn't think Bruno's comparison to a small insect was nasty enough so he picked another , larger and more ungainly creature to use in his critique.

Any judge worth their salt could find something to say about it in more than a couple of words without resorting to making personal and confidence shattering comments to a woman who is clearly trying her hardest to deliver her dance each week.

I got tired of listening to Craig insulting the weaker dancers week after week long ago. Not everyone has a natural sense of rhythm and not everyone can dance - even with many hours of one to one training from a pro dancer. He makes valid points in his comments but its a crying shame that he feels his role is Mr Nasty which requires him to make such nasty, insulting and sneering comments.

I remember Dennis Taylor challenging Craig to play snooker in that series - Craig was as crap at that as Dennis was at dancing - its just a shame that the snooker players on the panel didn't give Craig a taste of his own medicine then so he could see the effect he has on the celebs.

I'm sure that the pros must stand there seething as he demolishes any confidence their celeb might have had - and having to waste time rebuilding that each week only takes away from the dance training time