Options

Morrisons Supermarket

Comments

• Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I just got back from an early morning shop from Morrisons.. and every time I'm in there I think how quiet it is; and those that are there seem to literally, all be over 65.

Why is Morrisons so unpopular (I see them usually slated when it comes to their profits)? Is it literally just an image problem?

I find them to be cheaper than ASDA.. they don't seem to be doing anything 'wrong' other than the fact that their opening hours are generally a bit more restricted than other supermarkets.. but most people do their shopping during daylight hours, so I can't imagine that's the reason.

So.. what's wrong with Morrisons? :confused:

Are they destined to go the same way as Safeway, Kwik-Save etc?

As an ardent Europhile on the politics thread, why aren't you shopping at Aldi or Lidl?
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    As an ardent Europhile on the politics thread, why aren't you shopping at Aldi or Lidl?

So, because I'm a supporter of the EU I must shop at Aldi or Lidl? :D

I wasn't aware of these rules :D
  • Options
    BatanyaBatanya Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    My local Morrisons (which used to be Safeway) is lovely. It's a large store so the aisles are widely spaced, most of their food is good and reasonably priced when compared to Tesco or Sainsburys, and the car park is free for as long as you like!
    I find their homewares to be very good too, I've just bought two sets of bedding in their sale, the quality is excellent for the price.

A lot of people moaned about the loyalty card promotion but I've found it to be great. I've given my spare key fobs (linked to my card) to my mum and my husband, so I'm always getting £5 vouchers at the till, which they've now long-dated so I can save them up. The store is clean and well-laid out. They don't move stuff around every 5 minutes like some supermarkets, and most of their staff are fine, with the exception of the customer services woman who had to exchange my faulty iron, you'd think she was paying for it out of her wages with the attitude she had. :D

I don't know why they've had problems, I can only assume that the lack of online shopping is hurting them. I don't really use other supermarkets very often so I can't compare. I do use Waitrose occasionally but their prices make my hair curl! I don't like our local Tesco, the place is always freezing cold and they don't have much choice in some foods, but then again, a lot of their store space is taken up with clothing (not as good as it used to be), electrical goods and so on.

I do buy some stuff from Lidl/Aldi but Morrisons is my default supermarket. I don't have any complaints and I hope they don't go the same way as Kwik-save. We've got a new Sainsburys opening up soon, I don't know if that will hurt their takings but I won't be switching. I can't stand the Sainsburys' orange and brown layout!
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did a small shop at Morrisons today as there wasn't much i needed and it is my closest store. I spotted a checkout with one customer already half way through so went on that one.

Oh dear.......i almost fell asleep waiting! The checkout woman was so painfully slooooooow it was unbelievable!

I've got used to Aldi where everything is shot out in seconds! :D
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont shop at mine (and at this point I should say I hope they are not reading this thread) but mine if next to a really good retail park, which has rubbish parking, so I park in its car park, and go to the retail park. There is a sign up saying the car park is for customers only (which is fair enough) and I have bought a couple of token items in the past, but past few times I have not bothered.

I am so going to hell for this ;)
  • Options
    LkjhLkjh Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I just got back from an early morning shop from Morrisons.. and every time I'm in there I think how quiet it is; and those that are there seem to literally, all be over 65.

Why is Morrisons so unpopular (I see them usually slated when it comes to their profits)? Is it literally just an image problem?

I find them to be cheaper than ASDA.. they don't seem to be doing anything 'wrong' other than the fact that their opening hours are generally a bit more restricted than other supermarkets.. but most people do their shopping during daylight hours, so I can't imagine that's the reason.

So.. what's wrong with Morrisons? :confused:

Are they destined to go the same way as Safeway, Kwik-Save etc?

Morrisons do have an image problem.

Image is important to some people so they will shop in Sainsburys and pay more.

I do like the cafe in Morrisons. Scrambled Egg on 2 toast - £1.90!
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    every time i`ve bought anything "fresh" in morrisons i`ve been violently sick. things are frequently out of date no matter where the branch, i once bought a pasta salad in there that i discovered to be an entire week over the sell by date. :o

shithole.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morrisons just don't keep up I have been buying Hovis bread in Morrisons for ages £1, now Tesco have reduced it to 78p and Sainsburys 75p checked Morrisons yesterday it is still £1 so trotted off to Sainsburys.
  • Options
    phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My local Morrisons has a older chap scanning the food with what resembles lumpy scales all over his hands and face, most off putting when he's touching one's food with his scaly hands. Thats why I shop at Asda Price.
  • Options
    GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RiDsTeR wrote: »
    The Morrisons self service machines are an absolute joke.

Thats because the whole checkout is made by Wincor Nixdorf which are notoriously rubbish compared to NCR that are used in Marks & Spencers, Tesco, Sainsburys & ASDA. Majority of the time the Wincor Nixdor checkouts suffer from extreme dirt getting into the validator or the timing cogs becoming mis-aligned, you will know this because you will get your occasional coin being rejected. A common one is the 'Un-expected item in the baggage area' if this happens frequently on a specific till its because the security scales are un-levelled and or it needs a re-tare weight doing

Interestingly NCR are rolling out predictive services to their systems meaning for example if a fan starts spinning slightly slowly on a till or a non imminent fault is recorded someone will be dispatch to fix/replace the component before it completely fails thus preventing down time.
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    every time i`ve bought anything "fresh" in morrisons i`ve been violently sick. things are frequently out of date no matter where the branch, i once bought a pasta salad in there that i discovered to be an entire week over the sell by date. :o

shithole.

But you decided to buy it anyway.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    But you decided to buy it anyway.

i noticed the date when i had a spoonful and found it in an unpleasant state of decomposition.
  • Options
    ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    My Morrisons reduced the opening hours a couple of years ago
    to 8am till 9pm except on Sunday's = 10 till 4pm :( but I suppose we are used to that now
    I notice it much more on Summer nights - :( - but at least the staff get to have some relaxing time before it gets dark

I love shopping there and always :p find stacks of amazing / bargains no matter which day or time I go there
    The staff are very friendly and helpful on every visit
    All Their "Signature" products really are good !!!!
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why I don’t go to Morrison’s much these days...

Heinz tomato soup, pack of 4 for £2-99 but this week they have the plus 2 free packs and the price is £3-99.

Nothing but rip of merchants and they really need to change their ways if they want me to stop going to Lidi.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their fruit and veg is cheap and is good quality. :)
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a job with Morrisons after being made redundant from my previous role. I lasted two months before handing in my notice, feeling that I would rather go back on the dole than do any more work for them. They are, without a doubt, the worst company I have ever worked for in terms of working conditions and treatment of staff.
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find them pricier than Asda or Aldi and also stock choice is poor compared to Asda. They don't have the Value shower gel or deodorant any longer for example. Booze is definitely more expensive than Aldi or Asda. But I don't drive so mostly use the nearer Morrisons.
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Morrisons just don't keep up I have been buying Hovis bread in Morrisons for ages £1, now Tesco have reduced it to 78p and Sainsburys 75p checked Morrisons yesterday it is still £1 so trotted off to Sainsburys.

Milk in Morrisons is £1 for 4 pints compared with 89p elsewhere.
  • Options
    sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our local one has cut one third of its staff and it shows. I have given up going in on a Monday morning as a lot of commonplace items haven't been restocked from the weekend and I was having to go to another supermarket to finish my shop.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »

But Morrisons supermarkets are in the EU.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My Morrisons has several morbidly obese people working on the shop floor. Whenever I've asked them for help, they're slow with a rather casual manner. One of them disappeared for 10 minutes when I asked her the correct price of a poorly labelled item. Some of the self service checkout supervisors also seem to get the hump with me when I have to repeatedly call them over because their checkout is constantly freezing, charging the wrong amount for discounted items, complaining about phantom unexpected items in the bagging area or refusing to accept perfectly fine coins and notes.

I don't think staff like this interacting with customers helps their image in an age when we're all supposedly health concious. The beauty counters of any department stores I've ever been in seem to avoid employing ugly people, whilst their sports departments don't have obese people. And I wouldn't like to be tutted and sighed at by a sales assistant if I called them over to purchase something.

I often see Aldi staff literally running up and down aisles to check when the price on the till differs from the one on the shelf. And they're always polite, diligent and professional. I also wonder if they deliberately don't use tills that tell staff how much change to give the customer to filter out the thickos without being sued for discrimination...
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Morrisons has several morbidly obese people working on the shop floor. Whenever I've asked them for help, they're slow with a rather casual manner. One of them disappeared for 10 minutes when I asked her the correct price of a poorly labelled item. Some of the self service checkout supervisors also seem to get the hump with me when I have to repeatedly call them over because their checkout is constantly freezing, charging the wrong amount for discounted items, complaining about phantom unexpected items in the bagging area or refusing to accept perfectly fine coins and notes.

I don't think staff like this interacting with customers helps their image in an age when we're all supposedly health concious. The beauty counters of any department stores I've ever been in seem to avoid employing ugly people, whilst their sports departments don't have obese people. And I wouldn't like to be tutted and sighed at by a sales assistant if I called them over to purchase something.

I often see Aldi staff literally running up and down aisles to check when the price on the till differs from the one on the shelf. And they're always polite, diligent and professional. I also wonder if they deliberately don't use tills that tell staff how much change to give the customer to filter out the thickos without being sued for discrimination...

What a load of crap so fat and ugly people cannot work in public jobs.
  • Options
    Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    Nothing but rip of merchants and they really need to change their ways if they want me to stop going to Lidi.

Not that using the Match and More card refunds you anything that you could have bought cheaper elsewhere or anything...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    What a load of crap so fat and ugly people cannot work in public jobs.

I'd rather not see them working as personal trainers in fitness centres, any more than I appreciate seeing them waddle around supermarkets past the "Five a day" "Reduce your cholesterol" and "NuMe healthier eating" posters. I also can't help but think there's a connection between their work ethic and gluttony.

So when did you last see a morbidly obese and ugly woman being allowed to work on the beauty counters of a department store? No, me neither.
  • Options
    dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    chinchin wrote: »
    Milk in Morrisons is £1 for 4 pints compared with 89p elsewhere.
    In our local one it's £1.39 (!) for the 4 piners. They have the 2L bottles on offer for 89p. Very sneaky!