The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 58)

Comments

• avbavb Posts: 9,612
    Forum Member
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    The whole of Ruslana's Romanian invasion was amazing! :cool: <3

I've found an unedited version here, the bit where they cut her off twice is so awkward, and the bit at 10 minutes where she has the crowd howling like wolves! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L854Cq_-VhY#t=20m40s
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,273
    Forum Member
    avb wrote: »
    I've found an unedited version here, the bit where they cut her off twice is so awkward, and the bit at 10 minutes where she has the crowd howling like wolves! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L854Cq_-VhY#t=20m40s

Along with reading the translated Romanian lyrics off her phone and then waving it round like the crazed maniac she is at the end! You so know I've saved that to my favourites. :D
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't the French ask to go first as a spoiler for a rival channel's show (The Voice of France ?)

Apart from being instrumental in ditching the draw for the running order earlier, Bjorkman's chief mess in 2013 was too many interval acts, causing the show to overrun. And of course the insane 'innovation' (which now seems here to stay) of announcing the winner while the voting is still going on! Also so much of the Malmo show was about how the Swedes see themselves and how the rest of us see them. Which was exactly the theme when they hosted in 1975. They really are fascinated by their own reflection!

That was a rumour that they wanted the French entry on first so people could turn over for the voice but I doubt that was true because the EBU wouldn't want y lose viewers
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Yes, shoving it on to the Red Button service was pretty telling.....it suggests they regard ESC as pretty low on their list of priorities. It's baffling really, especially as ratings for the Contest were superb across Europe last year and four ESC entries entered the UK top 40.

It isn't really baffling though... not to the BBC. To them Eurovision is a faintly embarrassing 3 hour show one Saturday night that banks them 8-9 million viewers regardless of the quality of our entry. They don't have to spend money on it and they don't see any gain for them in building additional programmes around it, whether it's a national final, a spin off documentary like we used to get ("Jade's journey to Moscow"), or preview shows. In other words they take the direct opposite view of Swedish TV and other broadcasters like the Germans. And of course, it's the exact opposite view that the BBC used to take in the days when Bill Cotton was in charge and got Lulu, Sandie, Cliff, Olivia and the New Seekers involved.
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liete wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think Finland could win it. Even Loreen could only beat the Russian Grannies by 10 points in the televote. A huge number of voters don't really care about the song or vocal performance.

The difference being the Russian Grannies were amazing in every conceivable way while Finland is not.

I'd be astonished if Finland didn't finish dead last in the semi. I think it's nothing but hype and voters and juries really won't care much about what little backstory they'll be told about them.
  • da33431da33431 Posts: 48,901
    Forum Member
    avb wrote: »
    Haha! :D

2. 'A coitus interruptus of the worst kind'
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuBC7zX_u_A

1. A symbol of Europe culture
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iPBuhfKVTw

Great Top 2.

Still can't get over poor Ann Sophie's face.

And we must have beaver in Vienna!!!
  • AliceyAlicey Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    The Grannies, their song and performance were all really fun.

There is nothing remotely fun about the Finnish song.:o
  • Shar_dsShar_ds Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't really baffling though... not to the BBC. To them Eurovision is a faintly embarrassing 3 hour show one Saturday night that banks them 8-9 million viewers regardless of the quality of our entry. They don't have to spend money on it and they don't see any gain for them in building additional programmes around it, whether it's a national final, a spin off documentary like we used to get ("Jade's journey to Moscow"), or preview shows. In other words they take the direct opposite view of Swedish TV and other broadcasters like the Germans. And of course, it's the exact opposite view that the BBC used to take in the days when Bill Cotton was in charge and got Lulu, Sandie, Cliff, Olivia and the New Seekers involved.

I'd be interested in a Swedish view on Melfest/Eurovision? Certainly the inbuilt "British" reaction to Eurovision nowadays is one of cynicism and scoff (now, who could we blame that on). Do they really just want to get behind the whole thing or do they have that same level of cynicism underneath? And the same for the rest of the entrants.
    Forum Member
    I'm team Granny too. :D
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member

I think there is a good correlation between ratings and us having a decent entry, I'm pretty sure the two years we've done moderately well at (last year and 2011) had the best viewing figures and Josh's year was the worst for ages (if not ever) I do think Guy is potentially angling for a National Final (he's said as much) and If Electro Velvet bombs as much as it ought to then they'll have to do something different so maybe next year they'll listen?
  • Shar_dsShar_ds Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alicey wrote: »
    The Grannies, their song and performance were all really fun.

There is nothing remotely fun about the Finnish song.:o

I quite enjoy it.. I like a bit of anger and danger in my music, I suspect I'm not alone!
    Forum Member
    da33431 wrote: »
    Great Top 2.

Still can't get over poor Ann Sophie's face.

*snort* I am such a child. :blush::D
  • CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure the vast majority of the televoters will even know what the story behind Finland is. It would be somewhat...inappropriate/unnecessary for the comentators to randomly bring it up too.
  • avbavb Posts: 9,612
    Forum Member

Ideal for any impressions of electrical items too, he's an all-round showman/showbeaver. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwrPQSFg5gQ
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    I think there is a good correlation between ratings and us having a decent entry, I'm pretty sure the two years we've done moderately well at (last year and 2011) had the best viewing figures and Josh's year was the worst for ages (if not ever) I do think Guy is potentially angling for a National Final (he's said as much) and If Electro Velvet bombs as much as it ought to then they'll have to do something different so maybe next year they'll listen?

There's no real correlation between ratings and our songs. The Jemini year got the same viewing figures as the year before when we came 3rd and the Jade year. Ratings are remarkably stable at around 8 million and 40% share except when Britain's Got Talent is scheduled against it (which happened with Josh's year).
    2014 - 8.79m (41.9%)
    2013 - 7.70m (35.3%)
    2012 -7.6m (36.2%)
    2011 - 9.5m (40%)
    2010 - 5.8m (26%)
    2009 - 7.8m (35%)
    2008 - 7.1m (35%)
    2007 - 8.7m (40%)
    2006 - 8.2m (37%)
    2005 - 7.9m (39%)
    2004 - 8.3m (42%)
    2003 - 7.9m (38%)
    2002 - 7.8m (36%)

The BBC know that the audience will turn up no matter how little effort they make. So they choose to make little effort.
    Forum Member
    Has anyone watched Danijela's car crash review of Norway ? :D

http://youtu.be/D6WKqPRpYx8
    Forum Member

Not yet. I saw her top 20 review, it was going reasonably well with most of my top 10 in her top 10... until she decided to put Italy as her ultimate favourita. :o

"This is not the song"

You can tell she's fuming! :D She got there in the end and hurray it will not be one of her favouritas!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    That was a rumour that they wanted the French entry on first so people could turn over for the voice but I doubt that was true because the EBU wouldn't want y lose viewers

surely it was the other way round? The French broadcaster wanted viewers to tune in early to catch the French song and hopefully stay with Eurovision and not turn over to The Voice? Had Amandine sung much later French viewers would've already by then have been watching The Voice for some time...
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the London Eurovision Party is having trouble getting acts to come? News seems very slow this year compared to last. And Kitty must surely be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I hope Nadav is confirmed soon. He was confirmed for Amsterdam yesterday.
  • alwaysanigel247alwaysanigel247 Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Pandora. wrote: »
    It's Bjorkman that irritates me beyond belief. I don't want him anywhere near the Exec Supervisor role. He already messed the contest up in 2013.

Exact same views here.
  • alwaysanigel247alwaysanigel247 Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member

OMFG HOW COULD I FORGET ABOUT HER. :o:D
  • gdrx78gdrx78 Posts: 300
    Forum Member

Bless her! Bobbysucks!!!!
  • dtd222dtd222 Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    surely it was the other way round? The French broadcaster wanted viewers to tune in early to catch the French song and hopefully stay with Eurovision and not turn over to The Voice? Had Amandine sung much later French viewers would've already by then have been watching The Voice for some time...

Eurovision isn't very popular in France. To my understanding, France2 is equivalent to BBCOne and France3 is equivalent to BBCTwo. From 1999-2014, the Eurovision final has aired on France3. That night the ratings were

The Voice: 6.9 million viewers 32.6% market share
    Eurovision Final: 2.7 million viewers 13.9% market share

From: http://www.ozap.com/actu/eurovision-2013-revivez-la-prestation-d-amandine-bourgeois/447135

Bizarrely this year, the Eurovision final is returning to France2.
  • GreekFanGreekFan Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    Liete wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think Finland could win it. Even Loreen could only beat the Russian Grannies by 10 points in the televote. A huge number of voters don't really care about the song or vocal performance.

I've been watched plenty of fanmade eurovision tops on Youtube and Finland was LAST in ALL of them :o There's 0% love for it around the web. Grannies were getting much love back in 2012.
    Forum Member
    New ESC radio station launching tonight at 8pm:

http://radio.escnews.uk/
This discussion has been closed.