Options

Anyone know my rights?

lustyrustylustyrusty Posts: 126
Forum Member
Recently my favourite boots had a bit of the sole come loose so I asked my sister to drop them into the cobbler to be glued properly.

When she went to pick them up he said I had already picked them up, when she said she knew I hadn't cause I'd rung her the previous evening he admitted that he's lost them. He asked for a few days to have a good look - when she returned again he still hadn't found them and told her he was speaking to his solicitor to see what his rights were! He said that as they were cheap boots with a 'crap plastic sole' he might offer £20 compensation! They were soft leather with a rubber sole!

Does anyone know where I stand with this? I'm at a complete loss. Due to the hours I work I find it hard to get to see him myself (hence asking big sis!) If he were to offer a reasonable reimbursement I'd accept that but £20 and a load of excuse and lies is a bit of an insult (at least I think it is?!!!)

What would be reasonable in this situation?

Comments

• Options
    Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lustyrusty wrote: »
    Recently my favourite boots had a bit of the sole come loose so I asked my sister to drop them into the cobbler to be glued properly.

When she went to pick them up he said I had already picked them up, when she said she knew I hadn't cause I'd rung her the previous evening he admitted that he's lost them. He asked for a few days to have a good look - when she returned again he still hadn't found them and told her he was speaking to his solicitor to see what his rights were! He said that as they were cheap boots with a 'crap plastic sole' he might offer £20 compensation! They were soft leather with a rubber sole!

Does anyone know where I stand with this? I'm at a complete loss. Due to the hours I work I find it hard to get to see him myself (hence asking big sis!) If he were to offer a reasonable reimbursement I'd accept that but £20 and a load of excuse and lies is a bit of an insult (at least I think it is?!!!)

Take the £20. Ask yourself if you would have got more than £20 if you sold it in its condition. I doubt it. Its not worth the hassle. Take it as i think the bloke lost it and made a reasonable offer. If he sells his customers shoes he wont have a business before long.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

what a load of cobblers.....

This is a classic of Cockney rhyming slang. It has nothing directly to do with shoemakers but originates from 'cobblers' awls', the pointed hand-tools that cobblers use to pierce holes in leather. The rhyme is with 'balls', meaning testicles.

The phrase is often reduced to simply 'cobblers', which is now considered an acceptable vulgarism, as many may not be aware of its origin. 'Cobblers' sounds as though it might have been said by cheeky Victorian barrow boys in Dickens or similar. In fact, it isn't as old as it might sound and wasn't used until the mid 20th century. The earliest example that I've found in print, bearing in mind that it probably existed as street slang for some time before printed versions appeared, is from Philip Allingham's Cheapjack, his account of life amongst English market traders and fairground stall-holders, which was published in 1934:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    Take the £20. Ask yourself if you would have got more than £20 if you sold it in its condition. I doubt it. Its not worth the hassle. Take it as i think the bloke lost it and made a reasonable offer. If he sells his customers shoes he wont have a business before long.

I would have gotten a lot more than £20! That's why I was having them 'fixed' rather than replaced.

Thank you for your reply though. I appreciate your opinion.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have gotten a lot more than £20! That's why I was having them 'fixed' rather than replaced.

take the £20, they have gone missing, no solicitor will take it on.

suck it up and forget about it
  • Options
    Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tell me the original price and age of the shoes. Then i will tell you what you would have got for it with a sole coming off. There is really no market in used shoes with sole damaged. Sorry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignore those who say you should take £20.

I can understand your annoyance as I'm sure it would cost a lot more to replace them, it's not as if you could or even want to buy an identical secondhand pair to replace them.

It would be best to see someone at your local Citizens Advice, it's free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    Tell me the original price and age of the shoes. Then i will tell you what you would have got for it with a sole coming off. There is really no market in used shoes with sole damaged. Sorry.
    You're talking out of your arse, the fact there's no market for them has nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Let's just say they were upwards of £100! I have to buy good shoes for work as I'm in a professional job on my feet all day!

I'm more annoyed with the lies and excuses. My sis is really nice and pretty easily intimidated so I think he thinks he can bully her into taking such a paltry sum!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Almost forgot! The sole was not 'falling off' the glue had let go a little at the side and I wanted it professionally fixed. That's all.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    ... he was speaking to his solicitor to see what his rights were!
    No, he wasn't.

How much did the boots cost and how long have you owned them?

If they are worth substantially more then £20, threaten to make a claim to the small claims court. The initial court costs might be higher than the value of the boots, but the loser pays the court fees.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    what a load of cobblers.....

This is a classic of Cockney rhyming slang. It has nothing directly to do with shoemakers but originates from 'cobblers' awls', the pointed hand-tools that cobblers use to pierce holes in leather. The rhyme is with 'balls', meaning testicles.

The phrase is often reduced to simply 'cobblers', which is now considered an acceptable vulgarism, as many may not be aware of its origin. 'Cobblers' sounds as though it might have been said by cheeky Victorian barrow boys in Dickens or similar. In fact, it isn't as old as it might sound and wasn't used until the mid 20th century. The earliest example that I've found in print, bearing in mind that it probably existed as street slang for some time before printed versions appeared, is from Philip Allingham's Cheapjack, his account of life amongst English market traders and fairground stall-holders, which was published in 1934:

I'm not really sure why this is necessary?
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    Ignore those who say you should take £20.

I can understand your annoyance as I'm sure it would cost a lot more to replace them, it's not as if you could or even want to buy an identical secondhand pair to replace them.

It would be best to see someone at your local Citizens Advice, it's free.
    Yeah, they'll fall over themselves on this one.
    Almost forgot! The sole was not 'falling off' the glue had let go a little at the side and I wanted it professionally fixed. That's all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sis is really nice and pretty easily intimidated so I think he thinks he can bully her into taking such a paltry sum!
    Yet you sent her to deal with it and you refer to her a your "big sis"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, they'll fall over themselves on this one.

I don't think so.

The boot's are obviously important to the OP, that's why she's asking for advice.

It's typical that some people have got nothing better to do than take the piss rather than trying to help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yet you sent her to deal with it and you refer to her a your "big sis"?

No I asked her to drop off and pick up some boots as I was in work and this is what she was faced with. And yes she is my 'big' sister as in she is older than I am. This does not exclude her from being a very nice person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    I don't think so.

The boot's are obviously important to the OP, that's why she's asking for advice.

It's typical that some people have got nothing better to do than take the piss rather than trying to help.

Thank you again. You're very kind.

I really don't understand why people come on these forums just to be horrid to others. I just assume its a sign of low intelligence and low self-esteem. Thankfully I'm past the stage where I need to put others down to make me feel better about myself.

All I was asking was if anyone knew what my rights were in this situation and I get a load of rubbish about the origin of the word 'cobbler' and comments about me sending my nice 'big' sister to deal with the problem!

I'm just thankful there are some decent people out there!
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the shoes are important to the OP is totally irrelevant.

They are second hand shoes that was in need of repair.

They will have a very low value (even if a mega expensive pair).

They have offered £20 and that's a figure you start the negotiation with. It's highly unlikely they will offer a hugh amount of money but with firm negotiations it should be a bit more.

But they should not be made by the sister, If the OP has not got the time to spend on this then that's their choice
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you again. You're very kind.

I really don't understand why people come on these forums just to be horrid to others. I just assume its a sign of low intelligence and low self-esteem. Thankfully I'm past the stage where I need to put others down to make me feel better about myself.
    It seems you did feel the need to :)
    Don't worry yourself about my intelligence or self esteem, neither are low.
    (And I didn't feel the need to denigrate yours)

Just listen to the posters you think are not as "kind" as Andrew and who are simply giving you a reality check.
    Worn boots in need of repair - move on.
  • Options
    TobySTobyS Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As someone who used to work on their feet for most of the day I can appreciate the value of a good pair of boots. Treated properly, a good pair can serve you well for years. My boots were one of my most valuable assets and I dreaded the day I had to finally send them to the cobbler in the sky. Good boots and shoes have a value beyond their price tag.

Regarding the OP's situation, I would say he should be entitled to a like-for-like replacement (regardless of the condition of the lost pair). He needs a decent pair of boots for work and will be left seriously out of pocket if he's only given £20 but needs to spend over £100 - and yes, a really good pair of work boots will cost well over £100.

I would suggest sending the cobbler a letter (by recorded delivery) with your reasonable request and a hint that you are prepared to pursue it through the small claims court. He won't want it to go that far so he'll settle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TobyS wrote: »
    I would suggest sending the cobbler a letter (by recorded delivery) with your reasonable request and a hint that you are prepared to pursue it through the small claims court. He won't want it to go that far so he'll settle.
    Based on what?
    (Leaving the OP out of this) the cobbler declares them poor quality, the customer declares they were their "favourite" boots.
    No photographic evidence, no receipts.
    Every time this happened the retailer would be wide open to extortionate claims.
  • Options
    MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TobyS wrote: »
    Regarding the OP's situation, I would say he should be entitled to a like-for-like replacement (regardless of the condition of the lost pair). He needs a decent pair of boots for work and will be left seriously out of pocket if he's only given £20 but needs to spend over £100
    If the OP is entitled to a like-for-like replacement, then they should only expect a second-hand pair in need of a minor repair. Anything else would surely be considered to be betterment.
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Based on what?
    (Leaving the OP out of this) the cobbler declares them poor quality, the customer declares they were their "favourite" boots.
    No photographic evidence, no receipts.
    Every time this happened the retailer would be wide open to extortionate claims.

Well the retailer could always look after things and not lose them. Then they wouldn't get extortionate claims. :)
  • Options
    TobySTobyS Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that the OP sent them to be fixed is indicative of their value. You don't send cheap 'poor quality' boots to be repaired; any sane person must accept that. Under these circumstances it is unreasonable for the OP to be left out of pocket because of someone else's mistake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    Well the retailer could always look after things and not lose them. Then they wouldn't get extortionate claims. :)
    So "extortionate" claims are to be expected when errors occur? :)
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bang out of order, the cobbler :-(