Premier League relegation.

Comments

• Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think last nights result has changed all that much for Leicester. They still remain the same amount of points above relegation as they were. Realistically, it was always going to go down to the wire. They're probably going to have to win at least one of the games against Sunderland or QPR.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    I'd be amazed, absolutely amazed if Newcastle went down

They have a handy run in and even then they may not even need another point. They're a bit like Villa 2012- they'll do enough

I think the 6 teams below them are much more likely go down. I'd barely even include Newcastle in the conversation tbh

If the season was a month longer, I'd have them nailed on to go down.

As it is, I'd have to agree that they've probably just done enough.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    want qpr to pick up a big win vs liverpool or city, put pressure on leicester.

come on carver, show pearson whos the really mans man!
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    I don't think last nights result has changed all that much for Leicester. They still remain the same amount of points above relegation as they were. Realistically, it was always going to go down to the wire. They're probably going to have to win at least one of the games against Sunderland or QPR.
    I looked at the likely outcome of the games a few weeks ago after Leicester beat W Brom, and based on form & performances thought Burnley could make it, Leicester probably would and that W Brom & Hull could conceivably not get another point. What I omitted was that teams at the bottom suddenly start playing like fighting cats and except for Leicester beating Swansea every one of my expected outcomes has been wrong - form and ability count for nothing at this stage. Oddly tonight's match v Chelsea might be Leicester's best (ha) chance of getting something.
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    I looked at the likely outcome of the games a few weeks ago after Leicester beat W Brom, and based on form & performances thought Burnley could make it, Leicester probably would and that W Brom & Hull could conceivably not get another point. What I omitted was that teams at the bottom suddenly start playing like fighting cats and except for Leicester beating Swansea every one of my expected outcomes has been wrong - form and ability count for nothing at this stage. Oddly tonight's match v Chelsea might be Leicester's best (ha) chance of getting something.

I think they might get a point tonight but I think the home game against Newcastle is the greater chance for three points.

As before, it'll go down to the wire, but Leicester are playing pretty well and they're in the better position. I think in an ideal world they'll go into those two final matches needing draws rather than wins.
    Forum Member
    Possibly. If Leicester can pick up one more win that's 34 points, which would leave QPR needing two wins & a draw to draw level and that's probably beyond them v Liverpool, Man C & Newcastle, with the last day trip to Leicester hopefully meaningless by then.

Sunderland would then also need 6 points (gd is too great for level pts) and like QPR, getting 6 against Southampton Everton Arsenal & Chelsea ought to be beyond them. So Leicester need a win & a draw to have a good chance of being safe. Trouble with that is that Hull were never going to get anything against Palace or Liverpool in my world, and they won them both. :(

Too close to call. Fingers crossed though.
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    ^^^QPR haven't a prayer of staying up. Sunderland are the only real worry for Leicester

Burnley are more likely than QPR given run in, but are still more or less gone anyway
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Saturday's Leicester v Newcastle match has grown hugely since the results over the weekend and esp Hull's last night. Suddenly I fancy Leicester's chances a bit less than I did last week, and then it wasn't high.

Five matches left. Chelsea tonight is a likely away win realistically, then the 3 games against the relegation-threatened teams have become must win matches for both in each match; Newcastle, Sunderland, QPR. The Southampton match was always a tough one even at home, so Leicester's supposed 'easy run-in' that never was that easy is now a good bit harder. I nearly posted yesterday that if Hull can lose to Liverpool by two more goals than Leicester lose to Chelsea that would be good as Leicester would go above Hull. Like all of my predictions in this run-in, that was 100% wrong too. Gaah. I'm starting to fear the worst again. Like Adrian Chiles famously said, it's not the despair of going down, it's the hope that gets to you. After accepting relegation after the Palace defeat a while ago there was suddenly a bit of hope. It's in danger of being snuffed out.

Is there an official pessimism test that Leicester fans must pass before being fully enrolled as 'supporters' :confused:

Indeed you are far from the gloomiest Leicester fan around here as any visitor to the Leicester 'supporters' thread will discover.

Now I appreciate most of us supporters of whatever club can look for negatives more than positives and it can be the hope that kills, c'mon ! Leicester looked dead and buried to most folk and have suddenly won 4 matches on the spin. Yes, of course it could yet go wrong again, but it could go very right. You have a chance of staying up, a pretty good chance.
  • SamGamgeeSamGamgee Posts: 1,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k0213818 wrote: »
    You'll get points, which is more then can be said for us with Carver.
    We will lose all four games, I'm counting on it.

I reckon with your players back (Cisse especially) you'll at worst scrape a couple of draws (even 1 draw might be enough)- I think youre 7 defeats have got your lot panicking a bit too much.

We on the other hand need another miracle like last year
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamGamgee wrote: »
    I reckon with your players back (Cisse especially) you'll at worst scrape a couple of draws (even 1 draw might be enough)- I think youre 7 defeats have got your lot panicking a bit too much.

We on the other hand need another miracle like last year

I disagree!

Hull might have got a bit of breathing space But you're still in touch of Villa who are in just as much trouble!

Last year was a miracle something akin to what Leicester are doing right now!

Both our teams are in situations where we don't have to do much to get clear of relegation! We're just not doing it!
    Forum Member
    indiana44 wrote: »
    Is there an official pessimism test that Leicester fans must pass before being fully enrolled as 'supporters' :confused:

Indeed you are far from the gloomiest Leicester fan around here as any visitor to the Leicester 'supporters' thread will discover.
    :)

I was making the point that like most seasons once a club is down they suddenly start playing with a freedom that results in a few wins to go out on with a bang. In this case Leicester were to all intents down, and the pressure was off. Suddenly it's back on, and not only is the pressure on to keep it up but all bar one of the run-in games are v teams with everything to play for, so the media's "easy run-in" doesn't really apply.

That said... Kin ell. 1-0 at half time? My heart is nearly out of my chest. Come on citeh.
  • Tusk0312Tusk0312 Posts: 4,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    result:
    Leicester 1-3 Chelsea

as it stands:

14) Newcastle - p34; 35 pts; -21
    15) Hull City - p34; 34 pts; -13
    16) Aston Villa - p34; 32 pts; -22
    17) Leicester - p34; 31 pts; -18
    18) Sunderland - p33; 30 pts; -23
    19) QPR - p34; 27 pts; -21
    20) Burnley - p34; 26 pts; -26

run-ins:

Newcastle United
    Leicester (A)
    West Brom (H)
    QPR (A)
    West Ham (H)

Hull
    Arsenal (H)
    Burnley (H)
    Tottenham (A)
    Man United (H)

Aston Villa
    Everton (H)
    West Ham (H)
    Southampton (A)
    Burnley (H)

Leicester
    Newcastle (H)
    Southampton (H)
    Sunderland (A)
    QPR (H)

Sunderland
    Southampton (H)
    Everton (A)
    Leicester (H)
    Arsenal (A)
    Chelsea (A)

QPR
    Liverpool (A)
    Man City (A)
    Newcastle (H)
    Leicester (A)

Burnley
    West Ham (A)
    Hull (A)
    Stoke (H)
    Aston Villa (A)
    Forum Member
    Aah blx. It was good for 2 minutes. Positive though for the first half and occasionally in the 2nd.

I s'pose you could make a pub quiz question out of it - whose equaliser was timed before the opening goal? Drogba's goal was 47 17 or thereabouts, Albrighton's opener was on 47 53*.

* or something like that. Don't bother posting some pedantic reply with the exact times. It's a throwaway comment that the 1st goal was timed after the 2nd. :)
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leicester Update

Leicester...................37 points forecast

Newcastle (H)..................1 *
    Southampton (H).............1 *
    Sunderland (A).................1 **
    QPR (H)..............................3 **

Expected to lose against Chelsea and they did. 2 more goals on their minus goal difference

Maximum possible points

14) Newcastle - 47
    15) Hull City - 46
    16) Aston Villa - 44
    17) Leicester - 43
    18) Sunderland - 45
    19) QPR - 39
    20) Burnley - 38
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    I disagree!

Hull might have got a bit of breathing space But you're still in touch of Villa who are in just as much trouble!

Last year was a miracle something akin to what Leicester are doing right now!

Both our teams are in situations where we don't have to do much to get clear of relegation! We're just not doing it!

Have you seen our fixtures?

We're likely losing to Chelsea, Arsenal & Everton- all away. Shock are possible but still unlikely.

And looking at Villa & Leicester's fixtures- we'd need to beat both Southampton (unlikely) and Leicester.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My predictions

Aston Villa 41 pts
    Newcastle 40
    Leicester 36
    Hull 35
    QPR 32
    Sunderland 30
    Burnley 27

I think Sunderland will lose all of their matches and a deflated Burnley will only pick up a point at Hull.
  • Polly11Polly11 Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    come on leicester
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamGamgee wrote: »
    Have you seen our fixtures?

We're likely losing to Chelsea, Arsenal & Everton- all away. Shock are possible but still unlikely.

And looking at Villa & Leicester's fixtures- we'd need to beat both Southampton (unlikely) and Leicester.

I just don't subscribe to the view iit'll take miracles to keep us up! Yes it's trickier for Sunderland but at this stage, with their games in hand and a positive attitude you can't say they're out of it! Don't write yourselves off!
    Forum Member
    I know most folk will have that Sunderland game in hand at Arsenal as a home banker, but who knows.

I don't know why this last outstanding match was not played this midweek like the other two. Now, because of Champions and Europa ties, it is left to the final midweek.

Would have been much neater to have it played by now.
  • Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a good job Newcastle had the points from the rest of the season, or they would be relegated:o

The top three for relegation are Burnley, QPR and Sunderland. However, I did not think Hull would beat Liverpool this week. It looks like anything can happen.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/relegation
    Forum Member
    Hmm, so the best odds you can get about Sunderland being relegated are 4/9 on. The bookies certainly have a fairly united verdict, but escape is still very possible and at least nothing like the odds on of QPR and Burnley.

Tony Pulis will be telling everyone : "see West Brom are still being quoted, need another win, need another win" :) ( 200/1 )
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »
    I know most folk will have that Sunderland game in hand at Arsenal as a home banker, but who knows.

I don't know why this last outstanding match was not played this midweek like the other two. Now, because of Champions and Europa ties, it is left to the final midweek.

Would have been much neater to have it played by now.

You can blame Sky for picking it as a tv match for that. It couldn't be played Tuesday because Arsenal were shown on Sky last Sunday, and they were already showing Leicester vs Chelsea last night. It could/would have been played last night if Sky weren't televising it, but because they are the only free midweek to play it is the final one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    I just don't subscribe to the view iit'll take miracles to keep us up! Yes it's trickier for Sunderland but at this stage, with their games in hand and a positive attitude you can't say they're out of it! Don't write yourselves off!

I'm not saying we can't do it.. just that it's extremely unlikely now.

I think we need Leicester to lose their next 2 to give us a chance. It's the last week's fixtures that are the problem.
  • goodol lsgoodol ls Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leicester are going down. Its written in the stars. Sunderland are the new Coventry/Southampton in the noughties.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    goodol ls wrote: »
    Leicester are going down. Its written in the stars. Sunderland are the new Coventry/Southampton in the noughties.

Nothing's written in the stars.

For Sunderland to stay up, they'll probably need at least 6 points which means they need to win both home matches realistically because their away matches are against Everton, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Leicester are more likely to get 6 points from their matches than Sunderland are, even though Sunderland have home advantage when they play Leicester.