Len should quit.

Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
Forum Member
After making gaffes with dance off decisions when he had the casting vote I now think len should quit judging on SCD, the interest from him clearly isn't there, overmarking the underdogs, favouring Simon who was worse than the person who he sent home, he's lost all credibility as far as I'm concerned, him sending pixie home was the reason why SCD didn't win at the NTAs. Wish the producers could tell len what's wrong rather than what's correct all the time, almost like BBC are len supporters or something as they give him and Darcey far too much coverage really. >:(

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tall Paul wrote: »
    After making gaffes with dance off decisions when he had the casting vote
    In your opinion of course. Others may not agree.
    him sending pixie home was the reason why SCD didn't win at the NTAs.
    A silly, unfounded assertion.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to stop taking the show so seriously Paul. All these threads you've started in the wake of the NTA outcome ! Sending Pixie home isn't the reason SCD didn't win, that's a ridiculous statement to make ! Strictly have won the award twice anyhow and continue to get better ratings and more positive media reaction every weekend compared to X Factor. That counts for more than a silly award surely. Older viewers don't care or bother to vote which is maybe why SCD doesn't feature as much as well. All the lurid headlines and bad news stories X Factor endures throughout each series makes the award seem undeserved in my opinion.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What fresh Hell is this...?
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After making gaffes with dance off decisions when he had the casting vote I now think len should quit judging on SCD, the interest from him clearly isn't there, overmarking the underdogs, favouring Simon who was worse than the person who he sent home, he's lost all credibility as far as I'm concerned, him sending pixie home was the reason why SCD didn't win at the NTAs. Wish the producers could tell len what's wrong rather than what's correct all the time, almost like BBC are len supporters or something as they give him and Darcey far too much coverage really. >:(

BIB: As you've quite rightly said - "as far as you're concerned". Some of us would entirely disagree with you.

And to suggest Len sending Pixie home was the reason SCD didn't win the NTA is just daft. Apart from anything else, the show is bigger than just one celeb, who a lot of people had never even heard of anyway. And as for the NTA - who cares anyway?
  • Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    kaycee wrote: »
    BIB: As you've quite rightly said - "as far as you're concerned". Some of us would entirely disagree with you.

And to suggest Len sending Pixie home was the reason SCD didn't win the NTA is just daft. Apart from anything else, the show is bigger than just one celeb, who a lot of people had never even heard of anyway. And as for the NTA - who cares anyway?

He has got things wrong kaycee yet tweeters are taken in by what he says and take it as a bid, SCD is losing its credibility down to lens poor decision making. He's deliberately doing his best to please his employers now and its all about him, even his seperate programmes on BBC are a bit of a waste of money. I think like brucie he's on borrowed time now. >:(
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has got things wrong kaycee yet tweeters are taken in by what he says and take it as a bid, SCD is losing its credibility down to lens poor decision making. He's deliberately doing his best to please his employers now and its all about him, even his seperate programmes on BBC are a bit of a waste of money. I think like brucie he's on borrowed time now. >:(

Everyone gets things wrong at times - Darcey telling one of the celebs she had great technique in one of the Latin dances, when said celeb's technique was totally wrong.

But Len's decisions on who to save or not in any dance-off is based on the technique side of the dances in any particular dance-off. In the case of Pixie v Simon (which seems to bother you most) : As good as Pixie was to watch, her cha cha technique was very poor whereas Simon's ballroom technique was exceptional. If you want to blame anyone for Pixie being voted off, perhaps you should blame the viewers who clearly didn't think enough of her to vote! Incidentally, you might like to know that Pixie herself was actually quite happy to be voted off as she had other irons in the fire!
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:confused::confused:

really?
  • davegolddavegold Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SCD is losing its credibility down to lens poor decision making.

The counter argument is of course that Strictly loses more credibility by the public not voting for the best couples. The format of the show is right, it lets the viewers save their favorites. The judging is ok, someone good had to go. It's the public who made the biggest mistake, assuming any mistake was made at all.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    Pixie herself was actually quite happy to be voted off as she had other irons in the fire!

Well I don't think you can go as far as saying she was ' quite happy to be voted off ' ! She was quite sad wasn't she because she was having a wonderful time, plus she wanted to learn the rest of the dances she hadn't done. Nevertheless, she was philosophical about it and accepted the decision with good grace. Pixie has been in the papers every week practically since she left SCD thanks to a good PR system behind her so her time in the show has been a great advantage. I'm glad that she has lots of things going on in her life - you can't say that about some of the other contestants that have been on Strictly.
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member

I do think Len should go but some of this is waaay OTT... I love Pixie but I don't for one second think "that" decision cost the show an NTA! In any case, Len alone cannot make a difference and personally I believe that Darcey is the worst judge. Losing Pixie - and Jake for that matter - spoiled the series for me, but it was still a brilliant final in the end.
  • DingDong08DingDong08 Posts: 8,600
    Forum Member
    It's been over a month since Strictly finished, and some people are still throwing their toys out of the pram about Pixie's exit...
    Forum Member
    DingDong08 wrote: »
    It's been over a month since Strictly finished, and some people are still throwing their toys out of the pram about Pixie's exit...

As much as I enjoy a bit of a moan I think connecting it with the NTA results is a bit too far. And in that time, whilst we all moaned, Pixie has managed to start a new album, help numerous charities, launch a new range of fashion dolls, open a performing arts school, solve world hunger, AND figure out who killed Lucy Beale in Eastenders!* I bet she hardly has time to stick pins in her Len and Darcey voodoo dolls! ;-) :D

* The last two things on that list might not have actually happened.
  • Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I don't think you can go as far as saying she was ' quite happy to be voted off ' ! She was quite sad wasn't she because she was having a wonderful time, plus she wanted to learn the rest of the dances she hadn't done. Nevertheless, she was philosophical about it and accepted the decision with good grace. Pixie has been in the papers every week practically since she left SCD thanks to a good PR system behind her so her time in the show has been a great advantage. I'm glad that she has lots of things going on in her life - you can't say that about some of the other contestants that have been on Strictly.

I would agree that she was sad about her sudden exit; but I admire her for putting on a brave face on the situation, even joking afterwards with Trent that she would like to come back again next year :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    The judge who should be thrown out of Strictly should be Craig.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The judge who should be thrown out of Strictly should be Craig.

Absolutely not! Craig is the only one who marks appropriately and tries to make constructive comments but was booed by the audience, no doubt encouraged by Tess (and the producers).
  • Janet_Martin1Janet_Martin1 Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    I was over the moon when he saved Simon and he was right He has won 12 times on the tour that tell's me that he should have won the show Len could see how good Simon is ballroom is hard and he was great at it thank you Len
  • sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They need to be very careful, if they are going to change the panel. The panel on tour, Craig, Camilla and Tom have shown how difficult it is for them to get it right and I find it interesting that they are drafting extra judges in for the London tour dates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was over the moon when he saved Simon and he was right He has won 12 times on the tour that tell's me that he should have won the show Len could see how good Simon is ballroom is hard and he was great at it thank you Len

I agree too. Simon's routine was much tighter in what was the most controversial dance-off of last series (in my opinion).

Something though that did bother me is why Len suddenly decided to penalise Trent for doing those 'illegal lifts' so late on during the run. He didn't seem up to that point to have had a problem with him. Maybe, he thought that Trent would have known better not to include them during the crucial quarter-final and because he did, he turned against him. Making that cheeky comment (I didn't see what the big deal was all about) to Len also didn't help. This does make me wonder, if they will let him come back this year, even though he is doing the tour as a backing dancer.
  • ElsaElsa Posts: 3,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sunnymeg wrote: »
    They need to be very careful, if they are going to change the panel. The panel on tour, Craig, Camilla and Tom have shown how difficult it is for them to get it right and I find it interesting that they are drafting extra judges in for the London tour dates.

I think this is a good point and I bet the bad reviews of the newbies on the panel have helped Len's cause, assuming he wants to stay on the judges' panel and they were thinking of having him leave. I think Anton is a good choice if someone were to leave though - but the original lineup will always be my favourite - Len, Bruno AND Arlene. Too nice (a la Camilla) is too boring, and Tom's a right Donny-level disaster, proving how difficult the role really is. A personality with some zing (and not seemingly fake) is absolutely necessary to really shine in it.

Something happened with Pixie. One guess is she never was doing very well with the public vote so they decided she was one of those top three girls to drop, perhaps to give Simon an easier path to the finals, so they decided to jump on the stupid illegal lifts (none of which even existed imo.) The other two girls were more relatable - to me, Pixie always seemed a bit dazed or dissociated in her vt's. I 'think' they're still on Trent's bandwagon or he wouldn't be on tour and Robin Windsor would (Robin tweeted his disappointment, as though he were hoping to go along).

Another possibility is she turned down the tour (Jake Wood said they approached him in the second or third week of the comp and he said no). I think it was James Jordan that said Steve had been approached to do it with an alternate pro. Anyway, had Pixie refused, they'd have been looking to drop her for that reason alone (you want your finalists on the tour).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elsa wrote: »
    I think this is a good point and I bet the bad reviews of the newbies on the panel have helped Len's cause, assuming he wants to stay on the judges' panel and they were thinking of having him leave. I think Anton is a good choice if someone were to leave though - but the original lineup will always be my favourite - Len, Bruno AND Arlene. Too nice (a la Camilla) is too boring, and Tom's a right Donny-level disaster, proving how difficult the role really is. A personality with some zing (and not seemingly fake) is absolutely necessary to really shine in it.

Something happened with Pixie. One guess is she never was doing very well with the public vote so they decided she was one of those top three girls to drop, perhaps to give Simon an easier path to the finals, so they decided to jump on the stupid illegal lifts (none of which even existed imo.) The other two girls were more relatable - to me, Pixie always seemed a bit dazed or dissociated in her vt's. I 'think' they're still on Trent's bandwagon or he wouldn't be on tour and Robin Windsor would (Robin tweeted his disappointment, as though he were hoping to go along).

Another possibility is she turned down the tour (Jake Wood said they approached him in the second or third week of the comp and he said no). I think it was James Jordan that said Steve had been approached to do it with an alternate pro. Anyway, had Pixie refused, they'd have been looking to drop her for that reason alone (you want your finalists on the tour).

I'm going to stick up for Pixie. I really enjoyed her performances and was probably capable of being a finalist. What prevented her from reaching the final was the fact she couldn't do the tour because she is so busy working on her new album amongst other things. If given the chance, she probably would have done it.

I actually missed her presence during the semi-final and final, it just didn't feel the same. Although I was happy enough to see Caroline win.
    Forum Member
    Thom001 wrote: »
    I'm going to stick up for Pixie. I really enjoyed her performances and was probably capable of being a finalist. What prevented her from reaching the final was the fact she couldn't do the tour because she is so busy working on her new album amongst other things. If given the chance, she probably would have done it.

I actually missed her presence during the semi-final and final, it just didn't feel the same. Although I was happy enough to see Caroline win.

I certainly missed her in the semi-final which was a major let-down IMO, however the final was still very enjoyable. Pixie was my #1 but Caroline was definitely a very worthy winner and I thought she was exceptional the last few weeks.

I don't get the whole thing of Pixie not being likeable, she seemed one of the sweetest and most genuine celebs to me and handled the whole experience well. Hey ho, different people see different things!
    Forum Member

Ballroom is hard... as opposed to the other dances which are easy presumably?

Simon has undoubtedly done very well on the tour but that doesn't mean Len is right, runners-up often prove more popular than the winners on tours as has been said elsewhere on this site.
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thom001 wrote: »
    Something though that did bother me is why Len suddenly decided to penalise Trent for doing those 'illegal lifts' so late on during the run. He didn't seem up to that point to have had a problem with himr.

To be clear, he didn't penalise Pixie & Trent for the "lifts". He said that he was sick of seeing illegal lifts in routines, so he was giving notice that he was going to start penalising them next week. Of course when the next week came around, not a word was said about illegal lifts. This I think is the worst of all worlds for the person being targeted because it says to the voting audience at home that :

a) these people have broken the rules
    b) they aren't going to be punished for it

It's no surprise to me that in those circumstances that the couple in question might suffer in the vote. IMO Len should either do the proverbial or get off the pot - punish illegal lifts or shut up about them.
  • Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    Tejas wrote: »
    I certainly missed her in the semi-final which was a major let-down IMO, however the final was still very enjoyable. Pixie was my #1 but Caroline was definitely a very worthy winner and I thought she was exceptional the last few weeks.

I don't get the whole thing of Pixie not being likeable, she seemed one of the sweetest and most genuine celebs to me and handled the whole experience well. Hey ho, different people see different things!

Groups of people on twitter seemed to hate pixie it seemed and that hate spread to fb and YouTube. Seems as though there may have been a betting scam as well, because she was bookies fave to win and people took then bets on her going, very shocking indeed. :eek:

I do believe len plays favourites like Anne widdicombe, Judy Murray, Russell grant and others etc, you shouldn't have faves - you should be impartial. Seems to me len favours the ones with not as much dance ability and harsh on those who he expects more from. BBC are being like a police state with being reluctant to pension him off as their worried of another Arlene saga. :(
  • ElsaElsa Posts: 3,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Pixie and loved Trent - but when I compare her to the other two main women, Caroline was more engaging on camera and showed vulnerability (and admitted it) by seeming more nervous than Pixie - just my opinion, of course - and Frankie was sort of lacking in self-confidence, saying she sucked at lifts, putting herself down a lot (I think Caroline did more of that than Pixie, as well) and Frankie had that adorable little baby.

Both Caroline and Frankie seemed to open up and reveal their neediness more than Pixie did, and I think that's something that people want, maybe especially from women - or maybe it applies equally to both genders. Thom was a bit distant, Jake has an odd detachment... well, I don't mean it, in this case, to mean I didn't like Pixie, though I'm quite capable of hating celebs just because of their personalities (hello Lisa - glad I'm missing your hosting in London!) And to me, there was still something odd about Pixie's on-screen chats - it's hard to put my finger on - maybe it was overconfidence but it seemed to me a kind of vacancy or trancelike thing that I don't think I've seen before.

Everybody's different - she didn't really annoy me but on the other hand, she didn't engage my empathy either, as the others did. (well some of the others) Thom seemed a bit out to lunch - Scott seemed annoyed a lot - Steve seemed fake - Alison was overbearing - Jake even sort of scared me...

I've also pondered Jennifer a lot - read and watched interviews etc. - and my theory is she never wanted to be on the show in the first place. I think Brendan O'Carroll wanted Mrs Brown on the show - he even said in an interview how he wished Mrs Brown could dance with Anton "even if it was only once" on the Christmas special. The phrasing made me think he might have asked if he, Brendan, could compete as Mrs Brown and they counter-suggested Jennifer and she was annoyed but went along, as 2nd best option for them to promote their tv series. Her glee in an interview at being delighted at her ouster coming "at just the right time" was a dead giveaway imo. Also her taking the entire first 7 days of practice to fly to Florida (without Tristan) just "for a break"... Just some of my wild hypotheses -- sorry to bore everybody... never mind me..... Come on Season 2015!

ETA Topic, Elsa!! I love Len and I think this tour has taught them the judges' panel might not be so easy to replace - they've had to call Anton and Len in to prop it up for the last half dozen shows or so. I think Len's the consummate company man and does what they ask him to do, judging-wise, while appearing honest and above-board about it (if a bit daft - he doesn't mind - nor does his bank balance)