Barry Norman Pickled Onions ...... & other celeb branded nosh

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
Forum Member
Browsing the pickled onions in Tesco my eyes wandered over these. £2.19 a jar and based on his great grannies secret recipe.

I bought the cheapo Tesco one's, but this is my nomination for strangest celeb brand.

Anyone ever try them? are they taking the nation by storm? They probably are quite nice, but are too pricey. I'd rather make my own I think.

http://www.pickleodeon.co.uk/

And I forgot to pick up the new kitkat (D'oh!!) that I keep reading about in this forum! :cry:

Comments

• girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had some Barry Norman Pickled onions at Christmas and I can honestly say that they were as good as home made. Certainly the best shop bought ones.
  • dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Barry Normans Pickled onions?:eek::eek::o
    Sorry Dolly has a dirty mind!:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    I gave in, and bought some to try today. They are very sharp and acidic, almost overwhelmingly so. There is no unpleasant aftertaste though.

My Nan used to make lovely pickled onions, but her secret recipe wasn't passed on (I was happier to eat them, than make them :p)

Barry's are a 6 or 7 out of 10 for me. Not the Pickled Onion Holy Grail the website makes out !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many years ago I made me own! I accidently put 2 whole tubs (the white pepper type things) of the spices ,only supposed to have added a tablespoon or something like that. Everybody said they were the best pickled onions ever tasted. Giod they had a kick!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul Newman does salad dressings - Have not tried as I prefer to make my own.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried Anthony Worrall Thompsons chicken gravy concentrate at the weekend. Far better than granules. I still prefer Schwartz powder sachets though. Of course nothing matches a home made gravy in the roasting tin!
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw them a few weeks agao and did have to wonder how and why Barry Norman has his own pickled onions...
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont get it. Whats needed for a recipe of pickled anything?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried Anthony Worrall Thompsons chicken gravy concentrate at the weekend. Far better than granules. I still prefer Schwartz powder sachets though. Of course nothing matches a home made gravy in the roasting tin!

Agree but If I've run out of anything I have always followed the Delia recommendation for gravy with roast and it does work a treat especially with roast beef

Boiling water
    Add some Worcester sauce
    Mushroom ketchup
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is he that hard up for cash.It's come down to him bringing out Pickled Onions?

Never heard about them until i saw this thread.If there hadn't been more people that had actually seen these.I would have thought this was some sort of April Fool.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've been advertising these pickled onions by in bus shelters round here so every time I go out I feel like eating pickled onions. But I still haven't seen Barry Norman's pickles in the shops. Are they only in Tesco Extra sized stores?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    I usually avoid "celebrity"-endorsed food products like the plague but...a friend of ours put out 'Loyd Grossman's Nut Mix with Caramelised Red Onions' for nibbles one night...god, they're addictive! I almost ate the whole bowl. :o
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont get it. Whats needed for a recipe of pickled anything?

Have you ever pickled anything?
    It's not as easy as it looks. And it makes your house stink.
    Excellent results though.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Yes I have pickled some stuff like cucumbers and eggs. With cucumbers I chops them lengthways and into small pieces (similar size to a gherkin). Both of them I use malt vinegar (I think it gives a better flavour). Then I add a chilli and some whole black peppercorns. You have to leave them for at least 4 months, preferably 6 months.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    The Loyd Grossman sauces are quite nice, but rather too hot for many people. My Mum hates them :)
  • SnikpohSnikpoh Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul Newman does salad dressings - Have not tried as I prefer to make my own.

Believe I am correct in saying that all of the profits from his range of foodstuffs goes to charity. :)
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one I've just remembered is Frankie Dettori's tinned tomatoes. Seen them in Morrisons a few times, but why?

And I still haven't found Barry Norman's pickled onions anywhere. Do they still make them?
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    And I still haven't found Barry Norman's pickled onions anywhere. Do they still make them?

As it happens, saw a jar yesterday just after reading the thread. Bought the mega-bottle of Tesco's own brand, though.
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Barry Noman picked onions?

Frankie Dettori tinned tomatoes?

:confused:

How utterly bizarre :D
  • heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone tried Joss Acklands' Spunky Backpack?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aspartame wrote: »
    The Loyd Grossman sauces are quite nice, but rather too hot for many people. My Mum hates them :)

The soups are awful - would rather eat vomit
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, back to the beginning of the thread, and I'm here to say that Barry Norman's Pickled Onions are excellent. Tons of spices used in the vinegar, a very sharp peppery/chili flavour and just a little on the sweet side. Really a good home-made flavour. I'm a bit sceptical about the back story - I can't believe that his old granny had access to dried piri-piri chilies back in the 1920 or 1930s or whatever - but really good pickles.
  • heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, back to the beginning of the thread, and I'm here to say that Barry Norman's Pickled Onions are excellent. Tons of spices used in the vinegar, a very sharp peppery/chili flavour and just a little on the sweet side. Really a good home-made flavour. I'm a bit sceptical about the back story - I can't believe that his old granny had access to dried piri-piri chilies back in the 1920 or 1930s or whatever - but really good pickles.

I certainly wouldn't eat his plums.