Digital Switchover: Channel Islands

Comments

• a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    I suppose it depends on whether a country's DTT network carries a fully-fledged EPG or not...
  • marceljackmarceljack Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brumlad36 wrote: »
    I can now remember the events that happened when I took an el-cheapo Asda Freeview box to my friends in Spain. The box put all the Spanish services in the 800s.
    The time is always shown in GMT (UTC), so in the summer "now & next" displays programmes 2 hours out, and in winter "now & next" displays 1 hour out. There is no facility for the user to adjust the clock to "local" (Spanish) time. So, it appears that the Spanish TDT outputs UTC all year-round.
    On their "proper" Spanish TDT box, the user has to adjust the clock according to the time zone (eg UTC +1 or UTC +2).
    Maybe the French work the same way?
    Chris.
    Practically all DTT boxes sold on the continent (including boxes for the french TNT) ask you at installation in which country you are and which languages you want for OSD, audio and subtitles (independently of each other).
    Depending on the country chosen, they will scan the VHF 3 band or not, apply offsets or not during search and sort programmes according to LCNs or not.
    Some allow to select the bandwidth between 6, 7 or 8 MHz to make them usable also outside Europe.
    Generally the time offset to UTC can be selected independently of the country and has to be changed manually between summer time and winter time.
    Most of them allow display of a 7 days EPG when available, which is not the case in France (now and next only).
  • SiGaSiGa Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never bothered to wonder before but with this happening next week, when they say it happens midnight Weds 17th is that as in TV time where they class that Thursday doesn't start until 6am or midnight Weds as in Tuesday night into weds morning?
  • IanLIanL Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    SiGa wrote: »
    Never bothered to wonder before but with this happening next week, when they say it happens midnight Weds 17th is that as in TV time where they class that Thursday doesn't start until 6am or midnight Weds as in Tuesday night into weds morning?

They've said that the analogue transmissions will cease sometime early on Wednesday, and the digital services will all be up and running by 3pm the same day. So I guess that means expect loss of service after midnight Tues/Wed.

Why does it matter on Gallifrey?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IanL wrote: »
    They've said that the analogue transmissions will cease sometime early on Wednesday, and the digital services will all be up and running by 3pm the same day. So I guess that means expect loss of service after midnight Tues/Wed.

Why does it matter on Gallifrey?

:D:D Ahh we love that Channel TV on Gallifrey, especially that crazy Oscar Puffin:D
  • FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure, a few years ago, Channel TV (or whatever it was called then) used to have a short news bulletin in French late at night. I remember the newsreader, although he spoke excellent French he spoke with a rather heavy English accent!

I'm guessing that's all in the past now if any CI natives here recall that?
  • TonyCurrieTonyCurrie Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know that when Channel launched (1st Sep 1962) its two announcers (June Allez and Francie Hamon) were bi-lingual and both read the 'News in French' at closedown. The French language programme continued for many years - I suspect it disappeared when 24 hour Tv began?
    Forum Member
    Any ideas if Channel TV might do a special announcement (like BBC One Wales did) just after midnight on the 17th?

And what do you think would be the most suitable way Channel TV should end its analogue transmissions?
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been confirmed that the ITV2 and ITV2+1 services will not be broadcast on Freeview in the Channel Islands.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/retailers/email_newsletter/newsletter_november_2010

Sorry lads there isn't much left for you to watch!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    Any ideas if Channel TV might do a special announcement (like BBC One Wales did) just after midnight on the 17th?

And what do you think would be the most suitable way Channel TV should end its analogue transmissions?
    I certainly think it is possible.

With Nightwatch repeat starting at 12:15am as the ITV plc regions start The Zone I think a quick announcement should be in order. That is unless they switch off dead on midnight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TonyCurrie wrote: »
    I know that when Channel launched (1st Sep 1962) its two announcers (June Allez and Francie Hamon) were bi-lingual and both read the 'News in French' at closedown. The French language programme continued for many years - I suspect it disappeared when 24 hour Tv began?

I vaguely remember news in french before closedown in the early 80's.

I cannot recall if this was in addition to or was replaced by a sunday lunctime news in french.

I do remember that later on in addition to news in french there was news in portugese on Sunday lunchtime.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is poor indeed. I presume a lot of CI homes already have satellite. Last time I was there on holiday a couple of summers ago there seemed to be quite a lot of dishes. Maybe not that many homes will be affected by events in the middle of this week.
    Forum Member
    It must have been a last minute move, as Digital UK and Freeview were advertising that ITV2 and 2+1 would be there.

Hmm.. be interesting to see the breakdown of Mux 2 from Wednesday in the Channel Islands.

Does this mean Channel TV will get a really high bitrate :D. Or could Channel TV launch a plus one service in one of the slots next year when ITV 1+1 goes live? What about Channel TV subletting some capacity for a channel that is currently only on the COM muxes in the rest of the UK?
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    TonyCurrie wrote: »

I have an old french encyclopaedia "Quid" from 1981. It mentions BBC & ITV being receivable inland as far as Rennes.

I went on a short trip to Dieppe around 1976 and remember seeing BBC1 on an (expensive) multistandard Philips set in a shop. I'm not sure which british transmitter that would have been from but the picture was good.

So they must have had some french viewers.
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It must have been a last minute move, as Digital UK and Freeview were advertising that ITV2 and 2+1 would be there.

Hmm.. be interesting to see the breakdown of Mux 2 from Wednesday in the Channel Islands.

Does this mean Channel TV will get a really high bitrate :D. Or could Channel TV launch a plus one service in one of the slots next year when ITV 1+1 goes live? What about Channel TV subletting some capacity for a channel that is currently only on the COM muxes in the rest of the UK?

I agree and really there is nothing to stop Channel doing a +1 now. All they need is a rack of equipment near the muxing centre and an agreement with ITV. But we don't know if STV+1 and UTV+1 will start up in January. You would think that this is a good way to make money as even if they get only 10% of the main channel's viewers, they get more than most digital channel ratings. But as most of the programming is sourced from ITV they need its agreement.

I can see that putting ITV2+1 on for 6 weeks would be a waste of time, but withdrawing ITV2 made me think that maybe ITV is putting this channel on Mux A in the near future and closing ITV2+1. If so what would they put on Mux 2 in its place? A BBC channel? The trouble with all this speculation is that Channel is not an ordinary region but a separate country and while denying ITV2 from say STV would invoke the wrath of Ofcon, it probably has no similar powers in Jersey.

It's a shame that Channel TV cannot use its Mux 2 to broadcast its channel in HD using DVB-T MPEG-4. Half a mux would leave about 10Mbps available for video which would be fine bitrate wise. Unfortunately it has to carry FIVE in SD which upset the calculations. Plus it still has no HD facilities.

I can't think of any other broadcaster who could afford the luxury of a CI stream except Pay TV. Maybe ESPN or Sky Sports?
    Forum Member
    Is anyone going to monitor Channel TV around midnight, to see what they do for the switchover? (I don't have access to satellite TV at the moment, so I can't...)

P.S. Channel Television will tweet the latest on switchover!!

http://twitter.com/channelonline
  • Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and "switchover heureux" to all of Channel TV's viewers!

That's "Happy Switchover" in French. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone going to monitor Channel TV around midnight, to see what they do for the switchover? (I don't have access to satellite TV at the moment, so I can't...)

P.S. Channel Television will tweet the latest on switchover!!

http://twitter.com/channelonline

Sky + is set to record and I will be monitoring my poor quality Analogue signal (think my aerial needs replacing but use Sky though normally) . I should pick up freeview as I have got french before and plus the transmitter is around half a mile away.

Anyway from channels website:
    The channels that Islanders will be able to receive are:

Standard TV Channels BBC 1, BBC 2, Channel Television, Channel 4, Channel 5, BBC 3, BBC 4,
    Channel 4+1, More4, 4, CBBC, Cbeebies, BBC News, BBC Parliament,
    Rabbit, Gay Rabbit.
    High Definition Channels BBC 1 HD, BBC HD, Channel 4 HD.
    Radio Stations BBC Radios 1, 2, 3, 4, FiveLive, 5SX, 6Music, 7, Asian Network.
    Interactive Services BBC Red Button Services.

Fremont Point in Jersey will be turned off just after midnight on Tuesday night (16th November). At that point all transmitters in the islands will stop transmitting as they are all fed from Fremont Point.

Fremont Point is expected to be back up and running around 06:00 on Wednesday 17th November. At that point, anyone receiving from Fremont (most islanders) will need to re-tune their sets to receive the digital channels. The other transmitters will be back on air at various times of the day.

The planned times are:

Le Touillets in Guernsey: 07:30 am
    Alderney: 09:00 am
    St Helier: 09:00 am
    St Peter Port: 12:00 pm
    Gorey: 12:00 pm
    Torteval: 15:00 pm
    St Brelade: 15:00 pm

Viewers across the Channel Islands should have a digital signal for their TV or Freeview box by mid-afternoon on Wednesday.

Here are a couple of stills of that info

ds1n.jpg

ds2y.jpg
    Forum Member
    ...and "switchover heureux" to all of Channel TV's viewers!

That's "Happy Switchover" in French. ;)
    ...naughty :D
  • Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...naughty :D

I couldn't resist it... :D
  • Dave_EDave_E Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not much to report so far and no sign of "The Zone" (whatever that is). Is the schedule running late tonight?
  • Dave_EDave_E Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't go looking for a special sign off. The signal just cut when looking at something about a stingray.

EDIT: Actually only CTV gone at the moment
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave_E wrote: »
    Don't go looking for a special sign off. The signal just cut when looking at something about a stingray.

EDIT: Actually only CTV gone at the moment

Yeah not quite the Special sign off had hoped for. Could have put something up ahead of River Monsters. Strange we still have 1,2 & 4.

Thought the whole transmitter was gonna be turned off at the same time.
  • CaptainSensibleCaptainSensible Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    BBC2 just went...

(can gets lots of French digital channels where I live... St Peter)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok could be totally wrong on this but I think BBC One will go just after 1:25am and CH4 just after 1:30am.

I think based on CTV and BBC Two switch offs they are trying to allow the current programme to finish, and wanted Channel to be 1st off.