Winter tyres - anyone using them?

LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,742
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My current car, a Jaguar XJ8 is utterly useless in the snow/ice. Even where other people are driving in fiats and citroens it is no good. (And before anyone says it, my driving is fine, the Jags just not suitable in these conditions).

Would replacing the tyres with four winter ones plus placing 2 bags of sand in the boot make a difference?

I know I'll have to get them swapped back at the end of say March, but thats still a while off yet.

Comments

• Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son in Sweden has winter tyres, it's compulsory from November to April.
    They do make a big difference if you are likely to be driving in snow a lot, the extra weight in the boot is a good idea too.

My street was littered with BMW cars which couldn't get up the small hill near my house, thankfully the snow has almost gone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All rear wheel vehicles are rubbish in the snow. You'd be better off with both snow chains (for blizzard or untreated roads) and winter tyres. Also adding 100kg to the boot will help but don't spread it evenly in the boot. You need to split the weight to the left and to the right of the boot so that it's as much over the wheels as you can get it.
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a BMW with very wide rear tyres and 4 bags of sand in the boot and it is terrible in the snow but I managed. I was on the verge of ordering some winter tyres for it but it's melting now and could be that it doesn't come bag as bad again. So I am going to leave it this year and see how it copes.
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    I have a spare set of rims and snow tyres for my rear wheel drive volvo which is also useless in the snow unless the tyres are fitted and a few concrete blocks placed in the boot, I try to avoid using the snow tyres unless the roads freeze solid as the titanium studs could damage the roads. I have been lucky so far as the council have started to use brine for clearing the roads which has worked very well this year.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    ...My street was littered with BMW cars which couldn't get up the small hill near my house, thankfully the snow has almost gone.
    I've been driving a BMW 1 series in the snow and it's absolute pants. It has these Eco tyres on that are supposed to help with fuel consumption but they have no grip in this weather. I've driven other rear wheel driven cars including 3 & 5 series BMWs in the past but none have been this bad.
  • lawrenma2lawrenma2 Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Jaguar XJ8 not a 4 wheel drive? My Dad has one and it's fantastic in the snow. Hence my suspicion of it being 4x4.

My X Type is also far better than most cars in the snow, that's with normal tyres of course. I laugh at BMW drivers in this weather :D.
  • diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    I had chains for my last RWD car which helped enormously at times.

These days the winter tyres are almost as good as chains. I did wonder about getting some on steel wheels for my present FWD car but it just isn't worth it for the amount of driving I do now.

Though when my tyres get worn I will probably fit 'four season' tyres as a compromise. :)
  • station31station31 Posts: 3,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wee Suzuki Alto has been brillant in the snow, it lacks much elsewhere, but it just bounces over the snow, and its an auto, although not comfy after 22 hours in it Monday / Tuesday
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lawrenma2 wrote: »
    Is the Jaguar XJ8 not a 4 wheel drive? My Dad has one and it's fantastic in the snow. Hence my suspicion of it being 4x4.

My X Type is also far better than most cars in the snow, that's with normal tyres of course. I laugh at BMW drivers in this weather :D.

As far as I know the only jags with AWD (four/all wheel drive) are some X type saloons and some of the estates.

Mind you is your dads a post 2003 XJ8 3.5? Mine is 10 years old (an X308 version) and they certainly did not make AWD cars then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was too late to get winter tyres last year and my car was slipping and sliding all over the place. I got in early this year to get them and they are fantastic. I have gotten through severe blizzards and thick lying snow, without so much as a slide this year.

I posted a thread asking about winter tyres a couple of months ago and got a lot of people responding that they didn't need them because they knew how to drive... :rolleyes:

Maybe my driving has improved dramatically since last year, but I doubt it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    station31 wrote: »
    My wee Suzuki Alto has been brillant in the snow, it lacks much elsewhere, but it just bounces over the snow, and its an auto, although not comfy after 22 hours in it Monday / Tuesday

I see, you must've had it rough up there. I'm in the North West of England, we had a fair amount fall last Wednesday that is still here. I live on top of a hill (around 1100 feet above sea level) hence why I'm in need of some extra traction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie82 wrote: »
    I was too late to get winter tyres last year and my car was slipping and sliding all over the place. I got in early this year to get them and they are fantastic. I have gotten through severe blizzards and thick lying snow, without so much as a slide this year.

I posted a thread asking about winter tyres a couple of months ago and got a lot of people responding that they didn't need them because they knew how to drive... :rolleyes:

Maybe my driving has improved dramatically since last year, but I doubt it.

Have you simply swapped the tyres over and kept your summer ones in storage. Or have you got the winter tyres on a seperate set of wheels?
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    XJ 8 is rear wheel drive , but because the tyres have to be so wide for this car and the front biased weight distribution even winter tyres will be little better . As a previous poster said chains are the only thing that will work on this car and it isnt very good for jag drivers image fitting them at the road side . Modern cars are fitted with compromise tyres that have about 40% of tread made up of just rings with no tread on - hopeless in the snow on any car even Audi quattro's !

What you want is a Citroen berlingo diesel van on narrow winter tyres its almost unstoppable LOL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iangrad wrote: »
    XJ 8 is rear wheel drive , but because the tyres have to be so wide for this car and the front biased weight distribution even winter tyres will be little better . As a previous poster said chains are the only thing that will work on this car and it isnt very good for jag drivers image fitting them at the road side . Modern cars are fitted with compromise tyres that have about 40% of tread made up of just rings with no tread on - hopeless in the snow on any car even Audi quattro's !

What you want is a Citroen berlingo diesel van on narrow winter tyres its almost unstoppable LOL

The trouble is at the moment I can get stuck on the flat if there is enough ice. All I need then is a snatch either a qucik tug from a tow rope or about two/three people pushing.

I should've made provisions earlier in the year to be honest, I was in the same situation last year.
  • lawrenma2lawrenma2 Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liparus wrote: »
    As far as I know the only jags with AWD (four/all wheel drive) are some X type saloons and some of the estates.

Mind you is your dads a post 2003 XJ8 3.5? Mine is 10 years old (an X308 version) and they certainly did not make AWD cars then.

Yes, his is early 2004. I could be wrong about 4x4 as only suspected this since it handles so well.

Good choice of car though! I'm very jealous. Sorry I couldn't help you with your question though :D
  • dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    iangrad wrote: »
    Modern cars are fitted with compromise tyres that have about 40% of tread made up of just rings with no tread on - hopeless in the snow on any car even Audi quattro's !
    Useless in the snow yes, but they are a lot more resistant to aquaplaning which is generally much more useful in the UK :p

Those of you running on winter tyres, what do you do with your summer tyres? I would like to get a set of winter tyres fitted when my current ones wear out, which will probably be around the onset of next winter. My only reservation is what I'll do woth them once the time comes to move back onto summer tyres.

I've discounted all-season as a bad compromise as they're worse in the summer than summer tyres, and worse in the winter than winter tyres.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodgygeeza wrote: »
    Useless in the snow yes, but they are a lot more resistant to aquaplaning which is generally much more useful in the UK :p

Those of you running on winter tyres, what do you do with your summer tyres? I would like to get a set of winter tyres fitted when my current ones wear out, which will probably be around the onset of next winter. My only reservation is what I'll do woth them once the time comes to move back onto summer tyres.

I've discounted all-season as a bad compromise as they're worse in the summer than summer tyres, and worse in the winter than winter tyres.

I'm also curious about this.

I don't know whether to have them swapped over and store my summer tyres and then have them swapped back. Or the only other option is to buy a new set of wheels and have the winter tyres on those - though this option would cost alot more.
  • diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    dodgygeeza wrote: »

I don't run winter tyres but if I did I know that some tyre shops will store them for you in summer - presumably for a fee.

The all weather tyres are a compromise of course but unless you are a boy racer then they will probably do a good enough job.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/winter-tyres-in-the-uk.html

p.s. some insurance companies don't seem to like winter tyres, so best ring up and check before buying.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lawrenma2 wrote: »

XJ8's are not 4WD; some X-Type's are though.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    camer wrote: »
    I have a spare set of rims and snow tyres for my rear wheel drive volvo which is also useless in the snow unless the tyres are fitted and a few concrete blocks placed in the boot, I try to avoid using the snow tyres unless the roads freeze solid as the titanium studs could damage the roads. I have been lucky so far as the council have started to use brine for clearing the roads which has worked very well this year.

AFAIK, studded tyres are illeagal on clear roads so you could run into problems if stopped or involved in an accident.
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    AFAIK, studded tyres are illeagal on clear roads so you could run into problems if stopped or involved in an accident.

I would only use them if the roads were frozen solid with ice, the studs make them no better than normal tyres in soft snow and I would never use them on clear roads due to the damage they would cause plus the racket they make is unbearable, they came with the car on a set of steel rims so I inherited them rather than bought them. If and when I actually get any snow I will probably get the motorcycle combo out and not use the car.
  • GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diablo wrote: »
    I had chains for my last RWD car which helped enormously at times.
    Whilst chains will get you through many places where winter tyres or snow & mud tyres won't, they are a right faff to put on and off.
    The problem with using them is the it is rare in the UK to be driving entirely on snow covered roads, so you either have to put them on several times in the same journey or drive slowly on short distances of clear road or you'll damage the chains (and the road).

In some other countries which have more snow they just clear a path through the snow and spread abrasives (eg sand or crushed cinders), rather than de-icing with salt, so you can drive entirely on snow making spiked tyres or chains a more practical option.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have 'summer tyres' but as far as I can tell they aren't really any different. Bought them earlier in the year and they haven't let me down yet.

It's a bit borderline but Britain is probably about 'warm' enough that summer tyres are adequate for most of winter (obviously it's difficult anyway to get through thick snow without AWD/4X4 or snow chains.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liparus wrote: »
    Have you simply swapped the tyres over and kept your summer ones in storage. Or have you got the winter tyres on a seperate set of wheels?

I just got the tyres swapped over and I keep my other tyres in my garage. The garage who changed the tyres did offer to store them, for a price. I have the space so didn't feel the need to use the garage.

Considering we have had 5 ft of snow falling where I work over the last 2 weeks, they have definitely made my life easier:D The only bad thing is, doesn't look like I'll be getting any snow days this winter!!!
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seriously doubt anyone is going to change their tyres, or even has a spare set for winter.