Noisy Public Hand Dryers!

jodrelljodrell Posts: 51
Forum Member
Time for a bit of a rant.

I can't be the only person who thinks the new so called energy efficient hand dryers in public toilets in shops/pubs etc are excruciatingly loud can I?

I measured a few with a Decibel app on the phone and it got to nearly 100! Which is above the safe level for exposure for hearing not to be damaged.

They are obviously also in rooms with no sound absorption/hard surfaces etc which makes it worse!
It seems to be at its worst when someone has their hands right next to the air stream coming out of the nozzle.
The ones that point down with single jet seem the noisiest.
I've seen poor kids scared by the ear piercing volume they produce.
Is this supposed to be progress? Saving a bit of electricity at the expense of our hearing?

I realise its not an all day constant ear bashing but the old type were not half as loud.
They just have very low heat if any, and lots of air pressure to blow water off your hands.

Rant Over. :-)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure they are actually loud enough to damage hearing. The thing that annoys me about them is that they blow the water on your hands back at you, because they are too powerful. I find the only way to use them is to stretch your hands out as far as possible in front of you, and then stand as far back as you can go, which seems really silly!
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You shouldn't use them anyway (or at least as sparingly as your posting :D) - they're apparently very unhygienic. Far better these days probably to carry a little bottle of hand sanitiser gel in your pockets.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    I use neither dryers nor towels. I am a shake and vac-ate sort of person.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    jodrell wrote: »

I measured a few with a Decibel app on the phone and it got to nearly 100! Which is above the safe level for exposure for hearing not to be damaged.

Depends on how you measured it, where you measured it and if the setting on the app were set correctly. Not even allowing for the fact a phone isn't calibrated and can be wildly out. (I measured a phone app against lab calibrated SPL equipment and it was out by a factor of 2.

Most high speed 25 - 35,000 rpm motors on hand dryers are rated in the order of 85dB. Given they are supposed to have a drying time of 10 - 15 seconds, it isn't a threat to hearing.
  • varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The maximum exposure time for 100dB is about 15 minutes so a couple of minutes drying is not above the limit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The simple answer: don't wash your hands.
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm more annoyed by people that put "rant over" at the end of their posts. I'm guessing the people reading can see that you've stopped typing and pressed submit FULL STOP
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's so you can hear if someone hasn't washed their hands and then you know when to be disgusted.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,243
    Forum Member
    One of those noisy driers in the Watford Harlequin centre was used by someone nearby and afterwards it set off a ringing in my left ear. That was 2 years ago and the ringing never went. That noise was so deafening that I could feel my ear damage (like the nerves being bashed). I leave without drying my hands and block up my ears if I see someone heading to the NASA moon launcher (sorry, hand dryer).
  • suspiciousjimsuspiciousjim Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    It rubs salt into the wounds when the hand driers are noisy, but not particularly powerful, thus my hands still feeling wet! :mad:
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neon tiger wrote: »
    It's so you can hear if someone hasn't washed their hands and then you know when to be disgusted.
    It's also a good time to let out one of those botty flapping loud farts that always need to be released when in a public toilet
  • FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
    Forum Member
    Dyson dryers are ok
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's also a good time to let out one of those botty flapping loud farts that always need to be released when in a public toilet

Haha, I usually wait to pee till someone has the dryer on. I hate it when someone in the cubicle next door is having a very noisy toilet experience when it's quiet. I don't want people to think it's me:mad:
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get right on it, complaint sent to Environment Agency
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the dyson driers :D
  • NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are the most pointless and gross inventions ever. If you realised how many germs are sprayed on to your hands through the reused, recirculated air in them (notice they just have a vent underneath then, usually near toilets), and the bacteria you have merrily tried to rid is worse; as the wet hands will dry with new airborne germs on. Not sure about the Dyson or 'crocodile' ones you see, but regular ones are a health hazard. Use toilet roll, and when finished it can be used to open the door too!
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I don't see the problem. They do the job in half the time and it's not like you are exposed to the noise for lengthy periods.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    Haha, I usually wait to pee till someone has the dryer on. I hate it when someone in the cubicle next door is having a very noisy toilet experience when it's quiet. I don't want people to think it's me:mad:

So true. I know that I have waited for the hand dryer noise to come on so that I feel comfortable to make a noise in the cubicle on occasion. :o
    It's annoying that so many people obviously don't wash their hands.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dyson driers only take 10 seconds to dry your hands without dripping anywhere.
    Want one for my kitchen but found out they are about £600.
  • marks thespotmarks thespot Posts: 2,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recently I was asked by another lady not to use the dryer until she had left with her toddler as the child was terrified of them & would freak out if I turned it on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    The Dyson driers only take 10 seconds to dry your hands without dripping anywhere.
    Want one for my kitchen but found out they are about £600.

And the perfect height to dry your penis in!
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    I use neither dryers nor towels. I am a shake and vac-ate sort of person.

Presumably your hands and not your, er, ahem?:confused::eek:;)
  • alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damage from dbs is all about length of exposure so unless it takes 15 mins to dry your hands then you should be fine. I usually wipe mine on my jeans anyway!
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    Presumably your hands and not your, er, ahem?:confused::eek:;)

Both perhaps?
  • SamsMamSamsMam Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Took my toddler into some public toilets and one went off and it was so loud even I got a shock. My son clung to me for dear life it scared the sh*t out of him. They still do.

The other day I was waiting outside some and this mother and child came out, the child crying her eyes out. She said to the waiting grandma the dryers gave her a shock.

For me it's not the noise itself, but that it goes from no noise to full blast straight away giving you that shock element, especially for little kiddies.