Comic book deaths. (Justice League of America spoilers)

JCRJCR Posts: 24,031
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was just reading Justice League of America issue 4, the cliffhanger of which is Catwoman apparently dying after being shot in the head.

I was a bit 'meh' at this page as there is no way to suspend disbelief enough to think Catwoman might actually be dead, so I thought, is it actually possible to do a good comic book death these days? It's completely pointless, the big 2 almost always bring dead characters back, it's run into the ground to the extent it'd probably be impossible to do a good death now.

RIP Catwoman. ;)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Because people seem to come back from the dead or they in future years get resurrected in their own comics, I think people aren't shocked or even phased by the death of a character should it happen.

I would like characters to age though properly though even if it does mean that one day they do get old and die. By now Peter Parker should be a grandfather lol
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got this spoiled by my local Metro newspaper - darn them. Wonder what effect this will have on the monthly Catwoman title which I'm following.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because people seem to come back from the dead or they in future years get resurrected in their own comics, I think people aren't shocked or even phased by the death of a character should it happen.

I would like characters to age though properly though even if it does mean that one day they do get old and die. By now Peter Parker should be a grandfather lol

As former editor of 2000AD Alan McKenzie once said about Judge Dredd

"every year that goes by Dredd gets a year older – unlike Spider-Man, who has been a university student for the past twenty-five years!"[
  • farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    As former editor of 2000AD Alan McKenzie once said about Judge Dredd

"every year that goes by Dredd gets a year older – unlike Spider-Man, who has been a university student for the past twenty-five years!"[

Hmmm That's not true, He graduated a long time ago.

During the 80s and 90s he was still a professional photographer as he had been during his high school and college years but he took a staff job (as opposed to freelance) and even had a book published.

In the late 90s he briefly worked as a scientist in Portland and then had his short stint at Tri-Corp. In the 2000s he had a long period as a high school science teacher and he's worked at Horizon Labs for a long while.

True he went back to college during the some of these years and even in the current storyline of Doc Ock taking over his body (and life) he's gone back to get his doctorate but both these times it's been in the context of being a mature student.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judge Dredd looks a lot younger in some recent stories than he did in the 80s so I'm not sure when Alan's quote was relevant.

In comic years, the Marvel Universe has supposedly only aged about 11 or 12 years since F4 first began in the 60s, I'm not sure about DC.