Woman spends six days in hospital after attack in bedroom by stray cat

1235»

Comments

• Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    peroquil wrote: »
    This is DS, where cats are children.

DS is slowly convincing me that toxoplasmosis has a similar effect on humans as it does rats, if the story had included a dog instead of cat there'd be 4 pages of largely vilifying dogs, yet cats are almost worshiped on here.

I don't dislike cats, just don't get the obsession for them. The other thread, where someone got attacked by a cat has jokes and sympathetic posts, you wouldn't get that with any other species.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why have you made the comparison of a wild rat, to a domestic cat, when I haven't at any time? I have only spoken about wild or feral cats.

You said ferral cats were attacking your own domestic cat but my point was, most ferral cats can become domestic cats with the right care and training.

All domestic cats have wild cats as their ancestors, like all dogs have the wolf.
  • Options
    peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    You said ferral cats were attacking your own domestic cat but my point was, most ferral cats can become domestic cats with the right care and training.

All domestic cats have wild cats as their ancestors, like all dogs have the wolf.

I wouldn't condemn anybody who shot a wolf either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »
    DS is slowly convincing me that toxoplasmosis has a similar effect on humans as it does rats, if the story had included a dog instead of cat there'd be 4 pages of largely vilifying dogs, yet cats are almost worshiped on here.

I don't dislike cats, just don't get the obsession for them. The other thread, where someone got attacked by a cat has jokes and sympathetic posts, you wouldn't get that with any other species.

Cats haven't yet killed a teenage girl..

Domestic cows have killed at least 2 people in the UK over the last 12 months, one involving a man walking his dog but few people have called for all cows to be slaughtered.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Domestic cows have killed at least 2 people in the UK over the last 12 months, one involving a man walking his dog but few people have called for all cows to be slaughtered.

That's true, judging by the general reaction when cats are accused of mauling people though, the reaction won't be nearly as hyperbolic as it would have been had a dog been the attacker. There's certainly a very pro-cat stance on here, it's impossible not to see it.

On the comparison to cows, It's a risk working with them, and unnessesarily coming into contact with them, so there's no comparison for me. It would be stupid to vilify cows for very rare fatalities they cause.

I'm not saying cats should be vilified, just highlighting the double standards when it comes to them on here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't condemn anybody who shot a wolf either.

Wolves are dangerous to humans, cats not so much, though you shouldn't leave babies alone with cats. They can hurt you via bites and scratches for sure but they just don't kill humans like dogs do.

I'm a cat owner myself - we have a 17 year old - and we've had 'bully' cats in our area too but one was taken away from the area rather than simply shot. As a cat owner, I don't view cats are vermin in any way and it's worth noting that your own domestic cat will be classed as vermin to those who love having birds in their garden. I take it you keep yours indoors?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »
    That's true, judging by the general reaction when cats are accused of mauling people though, the reaction won't be nearly as hyperbolic as it would have been had a dog been the attacker. There's certainly a very pro-cat stance on here, it's impossible not to see it.

On the comparison to cows, they, like sheep, are on the dangerous wild animals license. It's a risk working with them, and unnessesarily coming into contact with them, so there's no comparison for me. It would be stupid to vilify cows for very rare fatalities they cause.

I'm not saying cats should be vilified, just highlighting the double standards when it comes to them on here.

I don't think any animal should be vilified because of the fatal actions of a few - aggressive breeds of dogs owned by 'rough people' aside.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    Hey lets demonise cats now, we have devil dogs, rabid foxes why not go onto the next unlucky animal. What next "I was attacked by a crazed pigeon"!

:D:D:D
  • Options
    peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wolves are dangerous to humans, cats not so much, though you shouldn't leave babies alone with cats. They can hurt you via bites and scratches for sure but they just don't kill humans like dogs do.

I'm a cat owner myself - we have a 17 year old - and we've had 'bully' cats in our area too but one was taken away from the area rather than simply shot. As a cat owner, I don't view cats are vermin in any way and it's worth noting that your own domestic cat will be classed as vermin to those who love having birds in their garden. I take it you keep yours indoors?

Peter doesn't like going out so much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think any animal should be vilified because of the fatal actions of a few - aggressive breeds of dogs owned by 'rough people' aside.

I agree with that.
  • Options
    who-mewho-me Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Breaking News from Daily Mail website:

An elderly lady was attack by a feral dormouse that was infected with the plague. Her own cat tried to save her from the rabid rodent but was unable to because the dormouse was an asylum seeker trying to squat in the second bedroom in her council house. The Police turned up and told the lady they couldn't ecvict / deport the dormouse because they would be in breach of the EU Rodent Rights Act.
  • Options
    PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who-me wrote: »
    Breaking News from Daily Mail website:

An elderly lady was attack by a feral dormouse that was infected with the plague..

Agghhh no not the mice NOT THE MICE! Arrrggg no my eyes, my eyes Arrrgghhhh!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    Ergo an irresponsible owner who just kicked it out? Possibly it ran away, so no tag.

Cats are evil though, we constantly get gifts of varying grossness from the neighbours cats.

No animal is evil, that is a purely human trait.

I have 3 and they have never crapped in my neighbours garden, they only do it in their litter tray, great for me, lol.

It's your opinion if you don't like cats you dont need to have them, you can't stop them roaming though. Get over it.

They arnt going anywhere as many people love to have their furry selves at home :)
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But how much was the house worth? I can't believe the Daily Mail would leave such an important point out of the story:mad:
    I blame the last Nu Liebore government for all these Dormice coming over here, stealing our mices cheese:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can't you see the hypocrisy in that last bit?

Again it comes down to irresponsible people, no normal, domesticated cat would do what the cat here has.

It's a result of morons not speying their cats and breeding unwanted kittens who then go onto become strays. I feel sorry for such cats. People who don't neuter their cats and let them run riot want shooting imo.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There needs to be a large culling of cats in this country before we lose much more precious birdlife.

If people refuse to take care of their cats and they wander into private land causing damage then they should be disposed of. Sporting estates already do this and hundreds are caught but more has to be done imo.

As for them crapping everywhere, i'm sick of it. I'm sick of mowing through it. I'm sick of standing on it. I'm sick of hearing about people being unable to let young kids play in their OWN gardens because there is cat shit everywhere.

Cats need to be kept indoors, end of story. I have no sympathy for anyone moaning about their "poor pussy" who didn't come home.
    Get of your high horse. Human beings cause more destruction of wildlife then cats do.

Cat shit everywhere? Don't exaggerate.
  • Options
    PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Get of your high horse. Human beings cause more destruction of wildlife then cats do.

High Horse cull!
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These kinds of attacks by cats are very rare - at the side of dogs - so you don't have a logical arguement.

Maybe we should lock up all men, just in case they commit rape or terrorism.

Don't let logic get in the way of another DS anti cat rant.

As far as this case is concerned, the cat somehow got in the house, probably the same way the cat that belonged there did. The woman tried to part them mid fight, and got severely bitten. The pics are definite cat bites.

Cat bites that break the skin are potentially very dangerous and can become severely infected ~ not in every case, but some people react badly to them. So it was quite plausible that she was admitted to hospital for intravenous antibiotic treatment.

If she'd had time to think about it properly, she have used an implement, or started making a loud noise to scare the cat off.
    There needs to be a large culling of cats in this country before we lose much more precious birdlife.

Cats are not responsible for bird decline. Indeed, the most threatened species, such as corn bunting, rarely encounter cats. In fact most birds die as a result of predation by other birds. The vast majority of cat kills are of small ground based mammals. Most birds are out of reach or too quick for them.
    They're vermin, and it's not unreasonable to treat them as such. Cat behaviourists, don't make me laugh.
    They're vermin only because cat-hating people label them as such..

As for cat behaviourists, you need to watch 'My Cat from Hell' on Animal Planet and see just how knowledgable they are. The guy looks like a Hells Angel but with more knowledge about cats in his little finger than you have in your brain.

Jackson Galaxy ~ yes, the guy is absolutely brilliant. Love that programme :)
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Foxes are wild animals, cats are not.

Cat's are domestic animals and their owners should be held accountable for them far more than they are currently.

The law is that cats are "free spirits" and can wander at will. They don't represent an active physical threat to passers by ~ ergo: parliament isn't going to waste time pandering to the sensitive souls who make a song and dance about finding a tiny piece of cat shit in their garden. You'd think they'd found a live grenade or something :rolleyes:
    It was the fleas on rats which caused one of Medievil times most deadly diseases and had the people not blamed cats and had many of them killed, they might have saved themselves hundreds ( even thousands ) of human deaths. Cats weren't fed on Whiskas in Medievil times but mice, rats and other vermin.

Ignorance was rife then and it's rife now.

Yep, another fact lost on others. I notice nobody came back at you for that post :cool:
    I know the DM is journalism at its lowest form but surely someone could have proof read the bloody article and made sure it was either the neighbours cat or a stray!

I noticed it immediately and I am brain dead !!

How would they know precisely where the other cat had come from ? Think about it. Any conclusions can only be pure speculation.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Cat shit everywhere? Don't exaggerate.

No, they really do... apart from in their owners back yard that is.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When I see a cow taking a dump in my garden and climbing through my window I'll tell you.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Don't let logic get in the way of another DS anti cat rant....

Or strange logic from a cat lover ..

And If cats running loose in neighbourhoods were the same size as cows?
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    PrimalIce wrote: »
    Agghhh no not the mice NOT THE MICE! Arrrggg no my eyes, my eyes Arrrgghhhh!

:D LOL.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    No, they really do... apart from in their owners back yard that is.
    Rubbish. I have never seen cat shit outside on paths, dog shit however...
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a fox cub regularly visiting recently (it was drinking from the pond) - it shat every where, even so close to the pond that it ended up in the water it was drinking!
    I do wonder sometimes if people mistake fox shit for cats, its quite smilar in shape and size. Cats do tend to bury theirs though admittedly its still not nice especially if you have somehow been designated the local convenience by the local moggies. There are ways of dissuading cats that don't involve hurting them though.