Top Of The Pops 1980, very few episodes!

Comments

• emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    You may be thinking of the 10 week long ITV strike which began in mid August and ended on October 24th 1979.

That was the all out strike with nothing whatsoever broadcast on the channel for that whole duration.

oh right but did that affect the bbc?
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No need to bump this old thread Nosmo (which I'd entirely forgotten I had written on within a few days of joining DS) because I began the "Top Of The Pops 1980 - BBC4" thread last week which will be the main thread forum for the show over the coming year they show 1980. ;-)

So old is this thread that even the Savile episodes were still being shown in summer 2012, which had we known what we now know there would have been even fewer than you thought on top of that strike.

The number of available TOTP episodes during 1980, omitting Savile and DLT and taking the strike into consideration appears to still leave a respectable 34, so not too bad in the circumstances, the equivalent of 8 and a half months.

Of course, they take Pops off once a month for The Sky At Night so that makes the episodes last longer.
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh, a reply to my post exactly two and a half years later! :cool:

So many people big up sales after a TOTP performance, or radio play. One of the worst I heard involved Clive Dunn's Grandad from Christmas 1970 / New Year 1971 when in a documentary Ed Stewart stated that within 4 days of its first play on his show it had shifted a million copies. Abject nonsense. You only have to see the chart at the time to know that never happened.

I like the sound of this Haven forum you mention Clare. Would you be kind enough to give some more details so I could check it out myself, either on the open forum or if you prefer in a PM. Thanks!

I'll post here for anyone else who might be interested as well - especially since it ties in nicely with the beginning of the 1980s charts on TOTP.

the forum address (with no gaps) is fatherandy2. pro boards .com

The threads I mentioned are in the UK Chart section, which you do have to register if you want to view. It is best finding them by typing 80s top ten sales in the search box. There's a thread for each year 1980-83, with 1984 beginning next year. If any more info is needed, please PM me.

While the sales info is, of course, interesting, it's just a fantastic nostalgia-fest which I think anyone who's into the TOTP repeats will enjoy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No need to bump this old thread Nosmo (which I'd entirely forgotten I had written on within a few days of joining DS) because I began the "Top Of The Pops 1980 - BBC4" thread last week which will be the main thread forum for the show over the coming year they show 1980. ;-)

So old is this thread that even the Savile episodes were still being shown in summer 2012, which had we known what we now know there would have been even fewer than you thought on top of that strike.

The number of available TOTP episodes during 1980, omitting Savile and DLT and taking the strike into consideration appears to still leave a respectable 34, so not too bad in the circumstances, the equivalent of 8 and a half months.

sounds good
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    looking at pop scene i noted that going by the current airing for the bbc repeats totps will have its last broadcast next week til august this was when the strick took place.
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    emails wrote: »
    looking at pop scene i noted that going by the current airing for the bbc repeats totps will have its last broadcast next week til august this was when the strick took place.

We still have some episodes before the strike. Tonight's edition is from May 1st 1980. There are editions from May 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th. Unfortunately we won't get the May 15th show as it's presented by DLT. :(

If you like a TOTP's chat you can get us on the main thread. :)
    'Top Of The Pops 1980 - BBC4'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We still have some episodes before the strike. Tonight's edition is from May 1st 1980. There are editions from May 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th. Unfortunately we won't get the May 15th show as it's presented by DLT. :(

yes i was trying find that page
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member

Theres always youtube!

BBC have a habit on ruining these things. At least they cant police youtube so if fans want to watch episodes featuring Saville & DLT the fans can as its their choice.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theres always youtube!

BBC have a habit on ruining these things. At least they cant police youtube so if fans want to watch episodes featuring Saville & DLT the fans can as its their choice.

Give them time.

Hello UMG. You're normally in there like a rat up a drainpipe when claiming copyright, arent you.
    Forum Member
    So how many 1980 episodes has bbc4 aired so far and which dates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i noticed in next weeks radio times that the next top of the pops 1980 comes from the start of august 1980 . now i am assuming this is after the strick period ,in which case is the start of the micheal hurl era? in which case we start to see the new format? wny now ? why suddenly soo early?
  • andyd1302andyd1302 Posts: 5,848
    Forum Member
    i noticed in next weeks radio times that the next top of the pops 1980 comes from the start of august 1980 . now i am assuming this is after the strick period ,in which case is the start of the micheal hurl era? in which case we start to see the new format? wny now ? why suddenly soo early?

Could be due to Sky at Night bumping TOTP off the schedule once a Month & more episodes available from 1980 which don't feature JS & DLT...

Just noticed from the WMC listings the Tommy Vance episode following the makeover (Flying discs) from 14/08/80 will be shown on 2nd July
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andyd1302 wrote: »
    Could be due to Sky at Night bumping TOTP off the schedule once a Month & more episodes available from 1980 which don't feature JS & DLT...

Just noticed from the WMC listings the Tommy Vance episode following the makeover (Flying discs) from 14/08/80 will be shown on 2nd July

Thought flying discs/Yellow Pearl titles didnt start until 1981?
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »

You're right Westy, July 9th 1981 is the first show to use Yellow Pearl as the theme music.
  • andyd1302andyd1302 Posts: 5,848
    Forum Member

Apologies guys, you're right.. Been a long day...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

so then this could be the 1st ep of the post strick of 1980?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're right Westy, July 9th 1981 is the first show to use Yellow Pearl as the theme music.

Which we wont see officially as a certain 'pilliar of the community' is presenting it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which we wont see officially as a certain 'pilliar of the community' is presenting it!

oh great, whats the chances of that ep being on youtube?
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    oh right but did that affect the bbc?

I think the answer is obvious when you consider it was an ITV strike.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Theres always youtube!

If they can't police YouTube then why was my second YouTube channel closed down by YouTube on request of BBC Worldwide?
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    I think the answer is obvious when you consider it was an ITV strike.
    The BBC had a smaller series of disputes in 1978-79. There was a work to rule and a two day strike in December 1978 and a number of walkouts in 1979 that saw programming disrupted. I did see a 1979 episode of TOTP last year where all that could be shown was recordings of performances and a voiceover by Pixie Powell as the union had blacked the studio.
    However, the big dispute that TOTP was the Musicians Union strike in 1980, where the show was taken off air for nine weeks as the Pops orchestra were union members and were on strike. Not surprisingly the BBC found a way round a dispute like this in the future by disbanding the orchestra in 1981.
    Forum Member

I believe plenty stuff is out there on youtube. I think the majority of Jimmy stuff is probably from recorded versions from the 1980s rather than recent years.

How many episodes did he host during the 1980s - 1990s? I remember him hosting that special where they looked at various years cos Quo played live. It might have been a 25 years or a 30 years one. Unsure which.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe plenty stuff is out there on youtube. I think the majority of Jimmy stuff is probably from recorded versions from the 1980s rather than recent years.

How many episodes did he host during the 1980s - 1990s? I remember him hosting that special where they looked at various years cos Quo played live. It might have been a 25 years or a 30 years one. Unsure which.

Savile stopped hosting TOTP regularly at the start of 1984, returning only for a few special editions.
  • goomorfregoomorfre Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    JS did his last regular TOTP on 5th July 1984, coincidentally the first with the Clarendon graphics. He did a TOTP where he was on a train from Bristol TM to Paddington trying to beat a speed record IIRC, some weeks later
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    oh great, whats the chances of that ep being on youtube?

I believe there are a few clips of that show on YouTube (including a few JS links and the chart rundowns) but not the whole show unfortunately. Let's just hope that BBC Four actually do continue the TOTP reruns into 1981. I wonder if that decision has been taken yet?